Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:55   #2101
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
3. Where in Chennai can I demo/buy these equipment?
You can visit the following places - I got a good deal at the Yamaha Music Store in Nungambakkam.
1. Yamaha Music Store
2. Decibel Audio - this is near Meenakshi College - Kodambakkam
3. Vipul Audio - Kilpauk
4. One store on Greams road/College road junction - forget the name (i think he kept Wharfedales)
5. One store on first floor near AVM Rajeswari Kalyana Mandapam - this was some real high end stuff
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:45   #2102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear FMs,
Errrrr, you mean Bhpians

Quote:
My questions are:
1. Which above given AVR will match the given set of speakers, musically as well as power/ohms specifications? (Especially, VSX-523-K which has higher wattage pairing with Wharfedale having less)
2. Will Polk TSX330T floorstander better than Wharfedale musically speaking?
3. Where in Chennai can I demo/buy these equipment?

Thanks,
murillo.
I was on a fractionally smaller budget than yours and have picked up a setup similar to what you're planning. Got the Marantz 1402 just yesterday and will be picking up the Polk TSX 220 bookies later in the evening. Budget and space constraints no bar, I would have gone with the TSX 440 eyes closed.

The Polks are the only speakers I got a demo on iin the short span of time I could manage away from work, and if the 220 & 440 are anything to go by, the 330 should be a nice sounding set too.
Don't and may not have a reference point per se, but I will keep you in the loop on how it all falls into place.
Old 23rd February 2014, 07:02   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You can visit the following places - I got a good deal at the Yamaha Music Store in Nungambakkam.
1. Yamaha Music Store
2. Decibel Audio - this is near Meenakshi College - Kodambakkam
3. Vipul Audio - Kilpauk
4. One store on Greams road/College road junction - forget the name (i think he kept Wharfedales)
5. One store on first floor near AVM Rajeswari Kalyana Mandapam - this was some real high end stuff
Thanks diyguy. I made some phone enquiries. Vipul is stocking Dali, Roth, Yamaha, etc. Grand Cinema at Kodambakkam deals in Wharfdales. Most of them are closed on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Errrrr, you mean Bhpians

I was on a fractionally smaller budget than yours and have picked up a setup similar to what you're planning. Got the Marantz 1402 just yesterday and will be picking up the Polk TSX 220 bookies later in the evening. Budget and space constraints no bar, I would have gone with the TSX 440 eyes closed.

The Polks are the only speakers I got a demo on iin the short span of time I could manage away from work, and if the 220 & 440 are anything to go by, the 330 should be a nice sounding set too.
Don't and may not have a reference point per se, but I will keep you in the loop on how it all falls into place.
Thanks manson. Congrats on your purchase. NR1402 is a very popular receiver. Since you have demoed Polk TSx 440T, can you share your listening experience in its music performance? Also what is the price quoted for 440T and any discounts?

murillo.
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:32   #2104
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks manson. Congrats on your purchase. NR1402 is a very popular receiver. Since you have demoed Polk TSx 440T, can you share your listening experience in its music performance? Also what is the price quoted for 440T and any discounts?

murillo.

I went to a place in adyar too, next to ex CM son Stalins house. Have to take an appointment for a demo. I suggest you check prices online too. I just picked up a nice fender guitar amp about 5k cheaper than store price of 29k with another 1k cash back from citi... Had checked prices in Singapore stores and Amazon US too and this was a good price.
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:30   #2105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I just picked up a nice fender guitar amp about 5k cheaper than store price of 29k with another 1k cash back from citi... Had checked prices in Singapore stores and Amazon US too and this was a good price.

Which one? A Mustang? A Super Champ? The 5E2 and it's derivatives a lovely starter amps.
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:47   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Which one? A Mustang? A Super Champ? The 5E2 and it's derivatives a lovely starter amps.

A Mustang III. Feels like a real amp
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:51   #2107

This is not quite a home theater system. Just for kicks, I bought a Yamaha soundbar (YAS101) to supplement my TV. I was a bit skeptical about their claim of it being a 7.1 channel surround sound system. And of course it is not. But by some DSP trick, if you are able to clear your mind about the technical impossibility, for sure you can hear some sounds coming from the rear! Way better than the more expensive Bose soundbar anytime.
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:03   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
This is not quite a home theater system. Just for kicks, I bought a Yamaha soundbar (YAS101) to supplement my TV. Way better than the more expensive Bose soundbar anytime.
I was very tempted to purchase this on my last trip to the US, but picked up an entry level Bose Cinemate for my TV. It's awesome with just two speakers and a sub, has elevated the audio clarity significantly on my Sony LCD.
Old 24th February 2014, 22:10   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good home theater within a budget of ~20k. Ready to stretch the budget up to 25k if the options in this range are way better than what I'd get in ~20k.

Also, are there home theaters in this range that are wireless? And does wireless mean a compromise in the sound quality?
Old 24th February 2014, 22:16   #2110
BHPian

There are good HTIB by Denon, Yamaha between 25-30k. Walk into a Reliance Digital and then other dealers for experience.
Old 25th February 2014, 16:22   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can someone suggest a good home theater within a budget of ~20k. Ready to stretch the budget up to 25k if the options in this range are way better than what I'd get in ~20k.

Also, are there home theaters in this range that are wireless? And does wireless mean a compromise in the sound quality?
Sony has a HTIB System with 2 Rear Tower Wireless Speakers but honestly the SQ is not all that great for around 35k that you would pay plus the woofer is passive. I had also earlier zeroed in on the Yamaha but not fully satisfied so just for the heck of it, checked out Denon.

Big difference in SQ and clarity over Yamaha. Denon HTIB X500 costs approx 42k in Mumbai. I have made up my mind on the Denon, just waiting for a few things to do before i go out and buy it.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:29   #2112
Team-BHP Support

Its all set, doubt I am going to need to plug in the passive sub I have anytime soon!!

The Home Theater thread-dsc_2642-large.jpg

Quote:
Since you have demoed Polk TSx 440T, can you share your listening experience in its music performance? Also what is the price quoted for 440T and any discounts?

murillo.
The TSX 440 had some excellent bass characteristics whilst it loses out on the highs and mids. The high & mids were certainly above the average stuff, but there could be better stuff in the same budget. Same is the case even with the TSX 220 bookshelf speakers that I bought over the weekend. It all comes down to your needs and preferences.

I managed to listen to a pair of Q Accoustics 2010I entry level bookshelf speakers (apart from some passable Paradigm equipment) an hour before I picked up the Polks. These were distinctly brighter than the four - five other pairs I had heard. Priced at par Q Accoustics blew everything else I heard with respect to highs and mids. But they did not carry the punch / bass (or whatever it is called) to enjoy my music. The bigger driver, more bass, immediate delivery and the possibility of never needing a sub in the room did me in on the Polks, orelese I would have picked up the QA.

After paying for the Polks, I also heard a pair of entry level Kef bookshelf speakers and they were certainly the best I had heard in the last few days of checking out audio equipment. They were the perfect balance between the Polks and QA, but at double the price.

With respect to pricing on Polks & Kef, you should manage 15 - 20 percent discount, especially if you are going to include a Denon AVR in your package as all three brands are under the same distributing umbrella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Sony has a Bluetooth equipped 5.1 system at 19,990/- and another with NFC and some more stuff at 24,990/-, you should be able to find similar slightly older models, but better sounding 5.1 stuff from Yamaha this side of 25K too.
Another option is the Samsung soundbar 450 priced at 17K after discount, this comes with a wireless sub and did seem like the most VFM option this side of 25K keeping in mind its slim design.

Another decent compact option is this Boston 2.1 system:
http://www.hifimart.com/boston-acous...ker-system-417
Old 25th February 2014, 21:59   #2113
Senior - BHPian

When I connect my TV to the Yamaha receiver I get a loud hiss, so connected it to the bluray and use it to watch movies. How do you guys manage?
Old 26th February 2014, 13:43   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
When I connect my TV to the Yamaha receiver I get a loud hiss, so connected it to the bluray and use it to watch movies. How do you guys manage?
How did you connect the TV sound output - RCA, HDMI or Optical? Optical and HDMI won't introduce hiss.
Old 27th February 2014, 10:16   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
This is not quite a home theater system. Just for kicks, I bought a Yamaha soundbar (YAS101) to supplement my TV. I was a bit skeptical about their claim of it being a 7.1 channel surround sound system. And of course it is not. But by some DSP trick, if you are able to clear your mind about the technical impossibility, for sure you can hear some sounds coming from the rear! Way better than the more expensive Bose soundbar anytime.

I think you are referring to the Audio Projector when you say 7.1 surround. What you bought is a sound bar. The Audio projector costs significantly higher and has much better audio experience compared to the sound bar. I heard both Yamaha Audio projector and sound bar and to me its all a matter of affordability and suitability for the purpose. I plan to get the Audio projector as a supplement for my bedroom, but I wont consider it as my main home theatre. Bose cinemate 2.1 is also a nice option if psychoacoustics is the choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks