Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2014, 17:09   #2251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Is it possible to get an amplifier unit for the speakers so they will run with an external audio source, or would aftermarket-amps be no match to what came with the unit?
Check for the impedance of your speaker(in Ohms 6 or 8 generally) and buy a new/old stereo amplifier with the same/compatible impedance.

A proper stereo amplifier will give you few input options that will be handy to connect one or more audio sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Can I use the speakers in my car somehow (1st preference) or get a better amplifier to used at home (mic-in port setup does ruin the performance)?
please don't plug your home speakers to your car audio head unit since they are in different planes altogether. you may hear sound but unnecessarily risking them.

Please read my post in reply to hellmet's query regarding stereo amplifiers

Thanks

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd November 2014 at 19:10. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 2nd December 2014, 18:57   #2252
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Gurus, what is the latest options available in sound bars with sub-woofer below the 30K budget? I am not a sound person, cant even differentiate between music genres. I prefer a sound bar type system as it avoids all the wires attached to a 5.1 system.

Just need a good quality one for movies/PS3 and some music from ipod/USB. Or alternatively a tower type speaker system will also work. Please help with some options for both bars and tower types.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd December 2014 at 18:58.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:29   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Gurus, what is the latest options available in sound bars with sub-woofer below the 30K budget? I am not a sound person, cant even differentiate between music genres. I prefer a sound bar type system as it avoids all the wires attached to a 5.1 system.

Just need a good quality one for movies/PS3 and some music from ipod/USB. Or alternatively a tower type speaker system will also work. Please help with some options for both bars and tower types.
I am also looking to get a soundbar soon as i have not made any provision for concealed wires for a 5.1 system plus my usage will be very less.

I am looking to use it mainly to watch movies on weekends and occasional music. I like to have decent sound and nothing that blasts the ears off.

I checked online and found the following.

Sony HT-GT1 for around 18k with a separate woofer and BT.
Yamaha YAS-103 for around 25k with a built-in woofer and BT.
Bose Cinemate 15 for around 50k with a separate wireless woofer.

None of the stores like Croma / Vijay Sales etc had any soundbar except Philips. Bose Store guy said that the Cinemate 15 has not yet reached them and has just been launched. I asked him for a demo of the Cinemate 130 system which costs 1.3Lakhs just to have an idea. The bass was way less and i mentioned that to him. The sales guy checked online and mentioned that that the Cinemate 15 should come with a dual firing woofer which was being offered with the now discontinued 2.1 systems. I have auditioned the Bose 2.1 systems before and can vouch for its rich bass.

Heart wants to wait and go for Bose but mind says since the usage is minimal why splurge unnecessarily and settle for maybe a Yamaha.

Maybe the gurus can suggest something. I am open to tower speakers as well but not finding anything worthwhile.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 2nd December 2014 at 22:30.
Old 2nd December 2014, 23:03   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Sony HT-GT1 for around 18k with a separate woofer and BT.
Yamaha YAS-103 for around 25k with a built-in woofer and BT.
Bose Cinemate 15 for around 50k with a separate wireless woofer.
I saw these. Bose although may be the best in the business is too much for my use. Yamaha seems to have some good reviews online. But no separate sub-woofer and insanely priced in India for something that is $200. Sony GT1 has no reviews. The CT260 model is rated high, but not to be seen on the India site. Leaning towards a Sony as I can get it discounted through my sources. International price £189.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd December 2014 at 23:11. Reason: £189.00
Old 6th December 2014, 10:30   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
I saw these. Bose although may be the best in the business is too much for my use. Yamaha seems to have some good reviews online. But no separate sub-woofer and insanely priced in India for something that is $200. Sony GT1 has no reviews. The CT260 model is rated high, but not to be seen on the India site. Leaning towards a Sony as I can get it discounted through my sources. International price £189.
Hi

Sound bars are array of many small angled speakers to give feel of sound coming from different sides and the sub woofer gives the much needed low frequency feel

now coming back to the selections you have made

Bose - may look very inviting, not worth the money
Yamaha and Sony - these brands do dish out good products but suggest you take a demo with whatever sound/music you would prefer to hear in it

if you are not interested in surround sound but only like the sound bars for the simplicity of wiring, you can try a very good stereo set up (book shelves & sub woofer) with a second hand amplifier(have it ritchie street, chennai)

Cheers
Old 6th December 2014, 10:33   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the gurus can suggest something. I am open to tower speakers as well but not finding anything worthwhile.
Can you please let me know the room size and your budget

I have boston towers plugged with an old Yamaha amplifier,they sound great and goes beyond expectation. i have also used their book shelf speakers and polk towers

Cheers
Old 8th December 2014, 07:18   #2257
BHPian

Quote:

I have the Bose Cinemate Series II purchased at 480$ and have seen it down to 420$ too. These are simply awesome and probably my best purchase ever. I have another elaborate HT setup of a Yamaha network receiver in a 5.1 configuration with all Yamaha speakers. The Yamaha receiver cost me 800$ while the speakers were sourced in Chennai for approx 80k INR on sale. Comparing these two, the Bose is a VFM buy.
Old 8th December 2014, 09:05   #2258
BHPian

Quote:

These are the Yamaha towers and surround that I have in my bedroom.
The Home Theater thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1418009662.508375.jpgThe Home Theater thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1418009681.352082.jpg
Sound is great but I still favor my Bose Cinemate Series II in my living room...
Old 8th December 2014, 19:52   #2259
Senior - BHPian

I know Samsung is not exactly a front runner in audio. Any feedback on their sound bars? I saw a model HW-F450 which has good reviews.

Also checked the JBL systems, good but expensive. I am not much into audio and don't want to spend so much.
Old 9th December 2014, 11:39   #2260
BHPian

Ah missed this thread when I was going to buy a Home Theater. Bought a Philips HTD5580/94 5.1 DVD Home Theatre System last month. First impression is good. I just feel the bass is too high. There is no equalizer in it but different modes viz. Dance, Music etc. Have arrived to a perfect combo by permutations & combinations using my phone equalizer & home theatre's modes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-philipshtd5580943ddvdsdl18921938511907f.jpg  

Old 9th December 2014, 12:30   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
My room is around 300 sqft. My budget is around 15-20k. I cant really play it loud as its a flat.
I have installed Sony's Model no: HT-IV300 in my bedroom which costed me 19K. This one is compact and offers HDMI connectivity to DTH, supports bluetooth and all movie formats via pen drive with a decent sound quality

My vote goes in favor of this compact home theatre.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:01   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Are you sure that you are looking for sound proof or make the room sound better, the former will be very expensive and require a lot of changes to the room.
Hi CMS - and all other experts here, I am looking to to improve the acoustics of my room.
Any pointers or general recommendations as to what can be done. I cannot carry out major refit / modifications to the room so please bear that in mind.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Old 10th December 2014, 13:10   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Hi CMS - and all other experts here, I am looking to to improve the acoustics of my room.
Any pointers or general recommendations as to what can be done. I cannot carry out major refit / modifications to the room so please bear that in mind.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
It would be helpful if you can upload a rough sketch \ floor plan of the room including dimensions WxHxD, photos would also help. BTW, which speakers are you using?

To reproduce "good sound" in an environment, you can treat a room or (and) by proper speaker positioning. By treating a room, you are trying to reduce the amplitude / intensity of undesired sound waves either by absorption / diffusion, ie, all waves that are not directly coming from the speakers to the listener's ear, esp 1st and 2nd reflections. In most of the rooms absorption will work better than diffusion as the later requires enough space to diffuse properly before reaching the listener.

As a general rule, treat the left, right and back side walls with broadband absorption. Assuming your's is not a dedicated room, you need to properly place the absorbers only at the first and second reflection points. By reducing the reflections on the left and right walls, you will get a better soundstage and for depth in the sound stage you need to treat front walls (optional depending on the furniture and the amount of absorbers on the back side wall). If you have uncarpeted floor, you have to put carpet at the reflection points. To reduce the bass overhanging due to room modes you need to install bass traps at the corners. You need to treat the ceiling also. This is the starting point for the treatment and based on the aftereffects of the initial treatment, further treatments have to be done. An RTA graph of the room will give a clear idea about the room (dips and peaks in the freq range).

For absorption, you can use glass wool (handle with care) or rockwool or wood wool boards along with Synthwool from Anutone / Himalaya for those who dont want to deal with glasswool and cover it with proper "sound transparent" cloth.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th December 2014 at 13:15.
Old 10th December 2014, 21:04   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

So I bought a Pioneer VSX 523-K A/V receiver which I have teamed up with Sony SSGN 88 D (front) and Sony SS-RS77V (Surround). Please check the images attached (Downloaded from net)

The Home Theater thread-sony_ssgn800_gn88d_ver1.0.pdf_1.png

The Home Theater thread-sony_ssrs77v_rs800_rs88d_ver1.0.pdf_1.png

I am not using a center speaker and a subwoofer at the moment. Adding a center speaker would be difficult because I am not sure if I will be able to match it with the fronts. However, I intend to add a Subwoofer to the set up.

Any pointers towards how to select one?
Old 12th December 2014, 08:23   #2265
BHPian

Folks,
I have searched this thread and not able to find good answer to my queries, hence posting this. I am looking for a home theatre system and requirements are:
1. Bluetooth speakers (I don't have provision/passage ducts for cables in my flat)
2. Should be able to play via USB & Andriod phones
3. Should be able to connect my TV/Tata Sky set top box
4. I don't play loud music much mostly prefer soft music
5. Good to have blue ray player
6. Last but most important, vitamin M (budget): ~15,000/-

I have searched around and found this JBL system meets my requirements, any better option?
Any suggestions are welcome

Most Viewed