Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 19:50   #2311
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I also have 'read' about these and Paradigm Monitor 7. Image T5 is another set I have in mind ( if I can push my budget ...really push!).

Experts do comment. AVR will be from Onkyo ( either 535 or 636)
When auditioning the speakers, make sure you carry your AVR since the demo setup at the stores will not be the same as yours. Also make sure you carry your own music/audio source so that you can try the same with different speakers (and at different stores).
Not sure what your budget for the speakers is, do look at the Focal Chorus 700 series. BTW, these are much cheaper if you can get them from Dubai

Last edited by NPV : 16th February 2015 at 19:52.
Old 22nd February 2015, 15:22   #2312
Senior - BHPian

I require some advice from the gurus here. We are looking out for a compact music system for our home. We do not want large/complicated systems in the interest of space. Since the main criteria was compactness, I did a preliminary search and auditioned the Bose Wave Music system. I was not too impressed with it. The bass sounded a bit boomy, over-processed & unnatural. I did not feel that it was worth investing 40K in this system.

After some more research, today I found that Yamaha MCR-042 too suits our requirement. From Amazon, got a ballpark price of Rupees 28-30K. Yamaha MCR-232BL & Denon D-M39 too caught my eye, though I am not sure whether they are available in India. Any reviews about these systems? Are there any other options to consider? Our budget is around 30-40K. I would also appreciate some help about where in Mumbai these systems will be available Going by Yamaha website, Vijay Sales at prabhadevi has "Yamaha Concept Shop with entire range of Audio & Visual products."

Just for background, My family members are not pure audiophiles, but the SQ & bass should be decent. Majority of the music we listen will be Indian (classical as well as non classical - film types).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AkMar : 22nd February 2015 at 15:25.
Old 22nd February 2015, 20:38   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Just for background, My family members are not pure audiophiles, but the SQ & bass should be decent. Majority of the music we listen will be Indian (classical as well as non classical - film types).
Did you consider something like this
YHT-1810
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00N0VEY6W/..._E-E6ub0VZ39N6
Yon need not hook up the surrounds and only keep the center and front ones hooked up. This should give you way better SQ i imagine within your budget. There are many like this in your budget - HTIB types are pretty VFM

Last edited by diyguy : 22nd February 2015 at 20:43.
Old 22nd February 2015, 20:47   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
I require some advice from the gurus here. We are looking out for a compact music system for our home. We do not want large/complicated systems in the interest of space. Since the main criteria was compactness, I did a preliminary search and auditioned the Bose Wave Music system. I was not too impressed with it. The bass sounded a bit boomy, over-processed & unnatural. I did not feel that it was worth investing 40K in this system.

After some more research, today I found that Yamaha MCR-042 too suits our requirement. From Amazon, got a ballpark price of Rupees 28-30K. Yamaha MCR-232BL & Denon D-M39 too caught my eye, though I am not sure whether they are available in India. Any reviews about these systems? Are there any other options to consider? Our budget is around 30-40K. I would also appreciate some help about where in Mumbai these systems will be available Going by Yamaha website, Vijay Sales at prabhadevi has "Yamaha Concept Shop with entire range of Audio & Visual products."

Thanks in advance!
Did you audition the Harman kardons? Among all systems I auditioned I find Yamaha and HK's to be natural and crisp.
Old 25th February 2015, 15:11   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you consider something like this
YHT-1810
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00N0VEY6W/..._E-E6ub0VZ39N6
Yon need not hook up the surrounds and only keep the center and front ones hooked up. This should give you way better SQ i imagine within your budget. There are many like this in your budget - HTIB types are pretty VFM
We were actually looking out for something that has a CD player as well - all in one type of system. The MCR-042 fits in perfectly in that requirement. If We find it satisfactory on auditioning, we may not look elsewhere.

@Glen, no we haven't auditioned any HKs yet. would definitely consider them, just that I don't know where I can find them!
Old 25th February 2015, 18:22   #2316
BHPian

I have Yamaha MCR-040. Sound quality is acceptable. .The System is good for a bedroom Configuration.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:36   #2317
BHPian

bought the Yamaha mcr 042 from the yamaha store for my daughter. Paid about 21k. She loves it as it plays music from usb and her phone
Old 26th February 2015, 12:47   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
bought the Yamaha mcr 042 from the yamaha store for my daughter. Paid about 21k. She loves it as it plays music from usb and her phone
Thanks. When did you buy it? How did you find its sound quality? Is it acceptable for a system of that size?
Old 26th February 2015, 14:00   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
We were actually looking out for something that has a CD player as well - all in one type of system. The MCR-042 fits in perfectly in that requirement. If We find it satisfactory on auditioning, we may not look elsewhere.

@Glen, no we haven't auditioned any HKs yet. would definitely consider them, just that I don't know where I can find them!
If you are looking for an integrated HT system, check these out. They play bluerays.
From Amazon

There are 2 JBL HTs listed here. BD100 has bluetooth while BD300 has wifi too. Both supports DLNA.
I find bluetooth and network connectivity a lot useful. You can comfortably stream music from any part of the room. from your phone or laptop that has these features.
I have not auditioned these systems. You should be able to get an audition at any JBL stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can check out the Blaupunkt GTB 8A which is an active powered subwoofer. Though it is meant for car use, I have a friend who is using at home and it really gives good sound with punch. It is available for around 7k on online sites. Do check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks much for clarifying that point. Ok, sounds like the best option so far. I have to wait a few weeks and then will plonk down the moolah on this!
How do you guys plan to power it up?
I assume it requires 12V. I had done some research on this earlier, one idea was to salvage a computer SMPS and power it since the supply is supposed to be much stable

Last edited by glenmz : 26th February 2015 at 14:14.
Old 18th March 2015, 21:05   #2320
BHPian

I was looking for a HT setup for my 16 x 10 room, thinking about Denon 510BT and Dali Zensor 1 and Zensor Vokal. Is it ok to add a Yamaha YST-SW216 sub or a Polk PSW110 sub from a compatibility standpoint ?
Old 19th March 2015, 11:41   #2321
Senior - BHPian

I have been using this for almost two years (But without BT). Amazing product. Great Bass, natural sound. Looks cute in the many shades.

Mine is in orange, which colour is yours?

Quote:
Old 20th March 2015, 10:37   #2322
BHPian

Hi sebring, my daughter bought the orange. inded it is very cute and VFM
Old 20th March 2015, 13:26   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prashanth, Yeah, Orange looks good but my first choice was that deep red. But they didn't have that for Black Friday Sale.

Quote:
Hi sebring, my daughter bought the orange. inded it is very cute and VFM
Old 25th March 2015, 20:01   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can check out the Blaupunkt GTB 8A which is an active powered subwoofer. Though it is meant for car use, I have a friend who is using at home and it really gives good sound with punch. It is available for around 7k on online sites. Do check it out.
Another question on this - how do I get a power cord for this? The owners manual shows this...
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-blaupunkt-gtb-8a.jpg  

Old 25th March 2015, 20:11   #2325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Another question on this - how do I get a power cord for this? The owners manual shows this...
You will need a 220Vac to 12V dc power supply with around 200w power output.
Connect the terminals +ve and -ve from the power supply to the sub unit. The other terminals for L and R are signal passthroughs and you may not need to connect these if you are connecting from the sub out of your amp ( check the manual, this is connected only when you use the bypass filter built in the sub)

Most Viewed