Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 20:14   #2641
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I bought my Sony VPL HW40ES projector from a home theater store in Bangalore this week. They are authorized distributor / re-seller of Sony and have given me bill and warranty. This model was 177000+ with online retailers and I bought it at 137000 from shop.
Congrats !!!
So how is the Projector watching experience ?

How about some pics of your HT room ?
Old 26th August 2016, 21:13   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Congrats !!!
So how is the Projector watching experience ?

How about some pics of your HT room ?

Thank you. It is a wonderful projector and rs.40000 discount on list price was a good deal. I am projecting it on wall for now. I got dark painting done in the room except for the screen area. And for the screen, it is warm white in matt finish.

I feel the picture clarity on wall is as good as I have seen in many of the auditions. Watched couple of movies already and I am surely impressed. I will decide on a fixed screen only after I am convinced I need one.

Also I am still in the process of doing the final touch up of the room and mounting projector etc.. Need to get a media rack done as well.

Will certainly add some photos once it is done.
Old 27th August 2016, 11:03   #2643
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys, after buying a pair of Polk 440s based on recommendations here (thanks again!), please suggest an AVR for the same. Requirements:

Should match with these speakers (don't know if any specs are to be kept in mind...power output etc.)

Bluetooth & HDMI inputs

Lip sync adjustment (some movies on TV are out of sync)

Should have a pre-out for an active subwoofer

Slight change of plan. I'll now use these Polks to build a 5.1 home theatre system in the hall. I'm big on movies and watch 2 flicks minimum every week. Right now using a JBL Soundbar (the SB400 which I LOVE). I'll move the soundbar to the office room as it has Bluetooth and looks / sounds superb.

Thanks in advance!
Old 27th August 2016, 11:48   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Slight change of plan. I'll now use these Polks to build a 5.1 home theatre system in the hall. I'm big on movies and watch 2 flicks minimum every week. Right now using a JBL Soundbar (the SB400 which I LOVE). I'll move the soundbar to the office room as it has Bluetooth and looks / sounds superb.
Oh Oh...looks like GTO is getting hooked to the audiophile drug. Being a 2-channel guy, can't really give you any sensible advice on your search for the AVR, except please listen to it first ON YOUR SYSTEM, if possible.

Good luck.
Old 27th August 2016, 12:05   #2645
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should match with these speakers (don't know if any specs are to be kept in mind...power output etc.)
Don't go by the specs per se, rather audition each of your candidate AVRs with your Polk speakers using the same source music/movies so that you can identify the differences. Audition them in your room if possible, else the acoustics/dynamics of the listening rooms at the showrooms can have an impact. They may sound different in the showroom environment versus in your room.

Look for Onkyo/Yamaha AVR's and make sure you get a bill with warranty and make sure service backup is not an issue. I'm not in touch with latest models so wouldn't be able to suggest specific model numbers.

By the way, after the AVR you still need to work on selecting and buying a Subwoofer (the .1 of the setup) and 2 surround speakers to make it a complete 5.1 system - good luck, this is always fun and enjoyable

Quote:
Good idea, nice move!

Last edited by NPV : 27th August 2016 at 12:06.
Old 27th August 2016, 12:18   #2646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
please suggest an AVR for the same.

Bluetooth & HDMI inputs
Lip sync adjustment (some movies on TV are out of sync)
Should have a pre-out for an active subwoofer
You got a budget?

The Good: Almost any AVR sold in India will have these features (ok any AVR above 40K).
http://onkyoindia.com/av_rec-txnr646.html
http://www.denonasia.com/ap/product/...vers/avrx2200w
http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...product_lineup

The Bad: None of these AVRs will drive the 440 to their full capability. Options are to get a bigger AVR (think 25kgs+ and 1L+), use an external power amp for the 440 or live with the limitations of the smaller AVR.

The Ugly: The front speakers must match tonally but the rear speakers can be almost anything. Also there is the issue of WAF aka wife acceptance factor. I had to compromise using wall matching rear speakers and had to veneer the front speakers to match the room. see pics.

Last edited by navin : 18th April 2017 at 11:02.
Old 27th August 2016, 14:19   #2647
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
By the way, after the AVR you still need to work on selecting and buying a Subwoofer (the .1 of the setup) and 2 surround speakers to make it a complete 5.1 system - good luck, this is always fun and enjoyable
Oops GTO - I missed out an important one - the center speaker. That is very important in a 5.1 setup especially for movies as it will channel the main vocals. The center speaker should match your front speakers tonally so do pay attention to that one, maybe one from the Polk family will be an easier/better fit.
Old 27th August 2016, 19:14   #2648
BHPian

My LG tv recently had its mother board changed as it lost video and audio. Suddenly last week noticed the video from my media player to blink (go black and reappear). This was not happening with my set top box. Both are connected to the tv through a Yamaha AVR. Got concerned that the tv or the AVR was going bad. Did a firmware upgrade for the media player, AVR and nothing helped. Then changed the Hdmi cable and realized it was a cable issue. Purchased a L shaped Hdmi flat cable to avoid spoilage due to bending and hopefully this should now last long.
Old 28th August 2016, 01:51   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
please suggest an AVR for the same. Requirements:
Just a few thoughts / thumb rules for deciding on an AVR / Integrated Amp

1. Sum the quoted watts / RMS for the total # of channels - eg. if it is a 5.1 - if per channel power is 60 watts - then 5 (Channels) x 60 watts = 300 watts - you need power to produce sound and as the efficiency is never equal to 1 - the power supply for the amp in the above example should be atleast 1.5 - 1.8 times 300 watts - hence the max power consumption - when all channels are driven together - should be in the range of 450 watts and above. If it is not in this range - it doesnt make sense to look at that AVR / Amp - Not talking of Class D - Only Class A/B.

2. When the power is stated as 60 watts per channel - (using the above example throughout) - check that - this is with all (5) channels driven simultaneously and at full frequency response - i.e 20 Hz - 20 KHz.

3. The THD should be less than 0.1 % for the above

4. The next thing to look for is at what impedance is the above 60 watts per channel stated? Eg. 6 - 8 Ohms.

5. A good AVR / Amplifier - should double the power as impedance halves. Eg. the same AVR / Amplifier - should be able to drive a 4 Ohm speaker load at 100 - 120 watts per channel. Most AVR / Amplifiers do not even talk about 4 Ohm loads. Very rare ones will even state a 2 Ohm load.

6. Do check that this is a A/B Class amplifier.

7. I would not recommend buying a D class amplifier for home use.

8. Use thick good quality electrical wire for connecting the AVR / Amplifier to the speakers - Would suggest a minimum of 5 sq mm multistrand 99% copper wire - this is basically any havells, finolex electrical wire. The thicker the wire - the lesser your pumping losses.

9. You do not have to buy so called specialty speaker wire - spend the money on the AMP.

10.Typically it helps to have the AVR / Amplifier to have 1.2 - 1.5 times the rated power of your speakers per channel.

11. One way to go for clean neat power would be - Have a good AVR to handle the audio / video inputs and act as a pre processor and use a couple of good stereo amplifiers to drive the front and rear channels - the AVR can handle the center channel and you can depending on the room size go in for one or two sub woofers - this again can come out of the AVR - the second sub woofer can daisy chain from the first.

12. The good units come built in with dual mono path internally with separate power feeds, internal paths can be end to end digital, analog to digital.

13. I guess others have already shared that the AVR comes with a lot of functions and expecting it to do everything - POWER all channels cleanly and simultaneously can be a bit too much.

14. Unlike most other technologies and investments - amplification units once bought can, should and hopefully run a long time ~ 20 + years - interfaces / protocols can change (eg - bluetooth - hdmi etc) - this can be handled by the AVR / pre processor and can be changed / swapped out at a later date - while maintaining / retaining the stereo amplifiers, but basic amplification and sound quality will not - and our hearing will decrease with age. So think about it and invest the best you can on this - one time. You can

Hope the above helps
Old 28th August 2016, 16:00   #2650
BHPian

Which Home theater system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Then changed the Hdmi cable and realized it was a cable issue. Purchased a L shaped Hdmi flat cable to avoid spoilage due to bending and hopefully this should now last long.
i spoke too soon. The issue has resurfaced. I have now swapped the Hdmi out from my projector to my tv. My AVR has dual Hdmi output. Will need to check if this works fine. Else only option will be to lug it to Yamaha service and pay through my nose for repairs!!!!
Edit: the second Hdmi output didn't help either. Still blinks. Started 90 mins into a movie. Not sure if it is a heat build up issue. Am now checking other input modes to check if it could just be the media player and not the AVR.

Last edited by diyguy : 28th August 2016 at 16:06.
Old 29th August 2016, 15:13   #2651
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the help, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
except please listen to it first ON YOUR SYSTEM, if possible.
Quote:
Don't go by the specs per se, rather audition each of your candidate AVRs with your Polk speakers using the same source music/movies so that you can identify the differences.

Quote:
Quote:
Oops GTO - I missed out an important one - the center speaker. That is very important in a 5.1 setup especially for movies as it will channel the main vocals. The center speaker should match your front speakers tonally so do pay attention to that one, maybe one from the Polk family will be an easier/better fit.
Yes, have that on the list too! Am thinking will get all in Polk for the sake of consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You got a budget?
Considering how you guys threw my initial budget out the window, I'm not saying nothing.

Quote:
I had to compromise using wall matching rear speakers and had to veneer the front speakers to match the room. see pics.
Very clean & classy, Navin. Love how you arranged your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Just a few thoughts / thumb rules for deciding on an AVR / Integrated Amp
Many thanks!

Any recommendations on specific models? Manson made it very easy by suggesting the Polk 330 & 440. Any models from Pioneer / Yamaha / Denon that meet my set of requirements?
Old 29th August 2016, 18:10   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help, guys!

Polk 330 & 440.
Could you share the full and exact speaker model numbers please.
All that you have - Front - Center - Surround
Old 29th August 2016, 18:38   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
Considering how you guys threw my initial budget out the window, I'm not saying nothing.

Any recommendations on specific models?[/b] Manson made it very easy by suggesting the Polk 330 & 440. Any models from Pioneer / Yamaha / Denon that meet my set of requirements?
Ok, since budget has gone bye bye, I am going to suggest taking a look at this, only IF you can source it from the US. It's not crazy expensive, only issue is getting it down.

Pre/Processor : https://outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

5 Channel Amp :https://outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

Otherwise I would go with anything from Marantz or Rotel, but the Outlaw at 120Wx5 will probably drive your mains the best without breaking a sweat. Think small block chevy vs turbo 4.

The only problem is you can't hear the Outlaws (my number one rule) and will have to take our chance with what the reviews say.
Old 30th August 2016, 10:59   #2654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, have that on the list too! Am thinking will get all in Polk for the sake of consistency.

Very clean & classy, Navin. Love how you arranged your equipment.
1. Yes since you already bought the Polk 440 I would recommend that you use a Polk FROM THE SAME SERIES as your center. I believe the model is the TS 250C or something like that.

2. hey everything I recommended was inside your 40k budget don't look at me. So now that you have completely blown your budget, it is time to set a new one or you will end up spending not 40K but 4L (maybe more). I would look at models from Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon (see the links in my earlier post). You should find something in the 40-50K range. Marantz and NAD will be around 70-80K for an AVR.

3. You know how anal I am GTO. For example, if you look at the speakers closely you will notice that there are no holes for the grill to get latched on. I embedded small 6mm dia NdFeB magnets under the veneer which then auto center with metal plates on the grill's frame.

The subwoofer in the bedroom was hidden behind a door (I have since added a chained hinge so that the door does not have to be removed completely as shown in the pics). BTW the midrange in that system is from Accuton and the tweeter is from RAAL. The boxes are made from a combination of 3 layers of 6mm marine grade ply, 1 layer of 2mm lead sheet, and 1 layer of 3mm of resin bonded fiberglass (see last pic for a cross section). Bending the wood pre-stresses it and makes it even more rigid.

Last edited by navin : 18th April 2017 at 11:02.
Old 30th August 2016, 13:20   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
BTW the midrange in that system is from Accuton and the tweeter is from RAAL.
Wow!! those are truly high end drivers. Did you design the speakers with the current positioning in mind? looks like you have no space at all on the sides or the back.

Quote:
The boxes are made from a combination of 3 layers of 6mm marine grade ply, 1 layer of 2mm lead sheet, and 1 layer of 3mm of resin bonded fiberglass (see last pic for a cross section). Bending the wood pre-stresses it and makes it even more rigid.
Really nice to see someone take such pains to eliminate resonance. Love the thought and the execution. Would love to hear it if visiting Bombay.

Mine are not as elaborate but have a combination of felt, ply, MDF, and 50 year old real mahogany planks that I managed to salvage from my grandmas house. Granite with felt below also helps keep vibrations to a minimum + acts as a convenient table top at a pinch. The panels behind the speakers are DIY bass traps covered with raw silk, approved by the better half. Please pardon the tatty dog cushions, but even those help cleanup the sound.

Is the other system in your previous post also yours?? Those look like SEAS Excel drivers.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-system1.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-system3.jpg  

Most Viewed