Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 13:32   #2806
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Oops yes, amazed at their level of reuse of plastic
Or is it a way to dupe the customer into thinking they are getting a branded item??
I think it is the former. The banana plugs had the fake Nakamichi logo on them. Lets not cast aspersions unless we have evidence. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2016, 12:13   #2807
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I was thinking of augmenting the TV with a sound bar. I am looking specially for voice clarity.
Please go for the JBL SB400. I've been using one and am 100% satisfied with it. Superb treble, punchy bass and clear dialogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The rear speakers can easily handle music being played all the time. I would not worry about that unless you are playing a very loud levels.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
I would tune by ear. Switching between 9, 90, 180, and 270 wont harm the subwoofer so try all and select the one that sounds best.
I don't think I have the ears for that. Just want nightclub-like bass. Which setting?

Also, should the subwoofer level be adjusted from the subwoofer itself (it has a volume button) or the amp?

Quote:
But to set by ear start with a LPF of 80Hz
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Unlikely they will blow up. Most of the HTiB have Front and surround speakers of exactly the same config and so even rears can take that load.
Thanks!

Quote:
Not sure but by multi-channel, do you mean rear speakers playing all the sound all the time? Isnt it against the surround system in the first place?
I just prefer it this way. Like sound coming from the front & rear. Tried surround for a while, but eventually, moved back to multi-channel.

Quote:
Use whatever pleases your ears
Old 28th September 2016, 12:37   #2808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think I have the ears for that. Just want nightclub-like bass. Which setting?

Also, should the subwoofer level be adjusted from the subwoofer itself (it has a volume button) or the amp?
1. Everyone has good ears. If you can tell Ferrari from Lamborghini from the exhaust note you can tune a subwoofer.

2. My settings which make the subwoofer very discrete may not be appreciated by you since you like the bass to be felt and heard distinctly. So since you are into that sort of bass try with the LFE level at 2 o'clock and LPF at 80Hz. The slowly bring LFE level up to taste. Leave phase at 0 deg for now.

I prefer to do the settings in the AVR as the crossover in most plate amps (the amp in your subwoofer is a plate amp) is not so great. The subwoofer settings are then left "wide open" something like LPF at 200Hz, 0 deg, 100% LFE.

It is only when the amplifier does not have LFE/LPF options that I use the subwoofer's settings.
Old 29th September 2016, 21:22   #2809
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Everyone has good ears. If you can tell Ferrari from Lamborghini from the exhaust note you can tune a subwoofer.
Touché!

Quote:
So since you are into that sort of bass try with the LFE level at 2 o'clock and LPF at 80Hz. The slowly bring LFE level up to taste. Leave phase at 0 deg for now.
Thanks Navin. Incorporated your suggestions and requested ProFX to come over to further finetune. Milind (outstanding chap who's been with them since over a decade) dropped by this evening.

HOLY COW! My hall now sounds like a nightclub . Only thing missing is a disco ball!

"Locked" the setup so no one makes any further changes.

Thanks again, all! Project complete.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:25   #2810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HOLY COW! My hall now sounds like a nightclub . Only thing missing is a disco ball!.
Disco ball can be arranged too. There are some nice German ones in the market. but they are expensive. Even a used one sells for 12-15k. A couple of weeks back a Delhi based DJ called Rummy Sharma was selling one.

Last edited by navin : 30th September 2016 at 10:28.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:39   #2811
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Project complete.
End-to-End that was real quick, many of us either don't know what we really want so end up buying parts of the system and integrating them over time (budget also plays a major role when speakers and AVRs are very expensive) but loved your approach to quickly decide and get what you wanted.

Enjoy the music & movies, Rock On!
Old 30th September 2016, 15:10   #2812
BHPian

I need some help in deciding between Marantz SR6011 and Yamaha RX-A2060. Although I am getting a very competitive price for both these receivers, Yamaha is 200 USD costlier.

I will be driving Q Acoustics Concept40 with the Receiver. I am looking for a receiver which eliminates need for a power amp in the future or at least has better pre-amp/audio processing.

I don't have the opportunity to listen the speakers with any of these receivers.

Quote:
You'll do yourself a favour if you stop reading and start listening. I barely read any reviews or marketing material. I trust my own ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Yeah, who can not agree with the listening part. Just that it is extremely difficult to find opportunities to listen. I have some more leads and will be doing more listening on the coming weekend.
Here're the speakers I heard in last couple of weeks

1. Kef Q500, Q700, Q900 - powered with Denon X3200 and Denon Stereo Amplifier

2. Kef R300 and R700 - powered with Denon Stereo Amplifier

3. Tannoy XT6F and XT8F - powered with Denon X4200 and X7200

4. B&W 683 - powered with Cambridge Audio CXR200

5. Castle Knight 5 - powered with Audiolab Stereo Amplifier

6. Wharfedale Diamond 240 - powered with Marantz 5009

7. Q Acoustics 3050 - powered with Cambridge Audio CXR200

8. Q Acoustics Concept40 - powered with Cambridge Audio CXR200 and Rotel Stereo Amplifier

Finally decided to buy Q Acoustics Concept40.
I found Castle knight 5 to be the best for my taste but they don't make center channels for this series. These were purely stereo speakers and I was not sure how would they compliment in a home theater set up.

I want to thank all who urged me listen more because all these speakers sound very different

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2016 at 16:23. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 30th September 2016, 19:30   #2813
BHPian

Folks need help!

my two year old Haman Kardon receiver gets into standby mode and starts blinking in between and I am unable to find the authorized service center details here in Bangalore. Any leads to the service center location would be of great help?

Has anyone with Harmon has experience similar issue and anything that I can do myself to fix the same?

Appreciate your response
Old 1st October 2016, 15:31   #2814
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
but loved your approach to quickly decide and get what you wanted.
You guys made it easy!

Installer was recommending a mat under the subwoofer (it fires downward). If I play my music loud (I like to crank the volume up), the windows shake! Would a mat actually help control this vibration from the windows? If so, any recommended mats?

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2016, 17:06   #2815
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would a mat actually help control this vibration from the windows? If so, any recommended mats?
I'm a noob when it comes to sound treatment, so have no idea but reading up on the net threw up some discussions on other AV related forums like this one here - they're actually suggesting simple foam mats, scrap wood, etc.

Anutone is another indian company that makes boards and other products for sound treatment but I don't think a home warrants all that stuff, especially if the room also doubles up as a hall/living room for family.

Last edited by NPV : 1st October 2016 at 17:08.
Old 7th October 2016, 00:21   #2816
BHPian

Hey guys I need some help.
I am looking for a good 5.1 home theatre system. Budget under 40k.
Good crisp sound quality and it'll be attached to our 50" LED tv. The TV sits 20 feet away from the sofa.
Please suggest some good ones.
I saw a few Yamaha ones, YHT-196, YHT-1810 and YHT-2910.
Are these models any good? Online reviews are fairly positive.
If someone has experience with all this, please advice.

Issac.
Old 7th October 2016, 10:27   #2817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys I need some help.
I am looking for a good 5.1 home theatre system. Budget under 40k.
I saw a few Yamaha ones, YHT-196, YHT-1810 and YHT-2910.
Are these models any good? Online reviews are fairly positive.
If someone has experience with all this, please advice. Issac.
Yes the Yamaha and Onkyo units are pretty good value for 40k. This question has been answered several times on this thread.

Remember at this price point you will not get speakers with MDF cabinets and amplifiers will hefty power supplies. I had recommended a Pioneer system to GTO (on this same thread). Please search the thread. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2016, 17:25   #2818
BHPian

Any users of the Sony HT-CT390 soundbar ?
Old 14th October 2016, 19:10   #2819
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Recently bought LG Tv (43LH547A) with RCA-out television. Been using Sony DAV DZ310 5.1 home theater system since 5 years.

Sound quality is very poor. All I can hear is Treble with a little bit of Bass. Tried different settings but all in vain. How do I improve the sound quality?

It is to be noted that the sound output was really great (Exactly as I wanted) with my earlier LG LCD TV.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2016, 01:45   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
bought LG Tv (43LH547A) with RCA-out television. Been using Sony DAV DZ310 5.1 home theater system since 5 years.
Have you tried the headphone output? Recently when a Sony engineer visited home to fix my tv, he mentioned that the stereo output from the headphone slot will sound better than RCA. Am yet to try it though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks