Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 09:14   #2911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also, in this case, is the HDMI board replacement the only option? How much would such a replacement cost?
Changing the board alone will be the cheapest way to go about it considering a replacement receiver of a similar though more up to date specification will set you back no less than 60-70k. It is worth taking a quote for the board.

I had asked another FM but did not get a response. Can you please check any of the other non HDMI inputs such as RCA, Optical, coaxial, etc.

It is worth checking on Ali Express for a new HDMI board that is compatible for your receiver. You will save a lot of money. All you need to do is find someone who can fix it for you.

A year ago, the lens on my sparingly used Bose wave radio cd system failed. Bose did not have a spare as the unit was close to 10 years old. The only option was trade in but the trade in was a rip off at the Bose service center, as I discovered later. I could get a brand new Wave radio cd system at a cheaper price without the trade in from the Bose store. Searching on Ali Express, I found the cd lens unit but I had to buy 3 (or 5) units minimum. Even then, it cost me only Rs. 1500 shipped. The lens used was Sanyo.

Do visit the Onkyo service center and ask them for a quote post which you can decide what is the best way to go about it.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:56   #2912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Changing the board alone will be the cheapest way to go about it considering a replacement receiver of a similar though more up to date specification will set you back no less than 60-70k. It is worth taking a quote for the board.

I had asked another FM but did not get a response. Can you please check any of the other non HDMI inputs such as RCA, Optical, coaxial, etc.

Do visit the Onkyo service center and ask them for a quote post which you can decide what is the best way to go about it.
Thanks Sandeep. Yes, I have given it to the Onkyo Service Center here. The whole set up did not look encouraging but did not really have a choice. They said they need a week to troubleshoot the issue. Have asked for a quote before doing anything.

To answer your question, no, the audio output does not work from any ouput source.
Old 8th February 2017, 23:49   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
i imagine every bose HT will satisfy your dual voltage requirement.
All that I could see is "Cinemate 15" which supports dual voltage.

Is that all the options we have to buy for India?

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-CineMate...ds=cinemate+15

And Polk has something like an HT system minus the AVR. And in the description for '220V Availability' says Yes. I don't know what they mean by that.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM...9F6KMQFZGR7H5S

Please pour in your suggestions!
Old 9th February 2017, 06:49   #2914
BHPian

The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This is the one I have
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KY2OU8..._bk8MybRH6PGNA

And this without the DVD.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JY6SG..._Zn8MybN9V4TGG

Last edited by diyguy : 9th February 2017 at 06:51.
Old 9th February 2017, 08:17   #2915
BHPian

Quote:
Both have been discontinued. The 'cinemate 15' is the only possibility and it sells for $349/- on Amazon. It doesn't have Bluetooth, no Wifi, no FM radio.
I don't know, whether is it worth to carry it, to back home in India.

All other tempting HT stuff are of 110V category and I am NOT keen to use a step down transformer!
Old 9th February 2017, 08:26   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't have Bluetooth, no Wifi, no FM radio.All other tempting HT stuff are of 110V category and I am NOT keen to use a step down transformer!
Have a listen to the cinemate 15. I have hooked up a Sony Bluetooth receiver to my bose in my kids room so they can play music via smart phone or tab. Those devices have all the needed radio channels. In any case the 110v systems work very well too. I have the Yamaha RX-A810 on a step down and it is about 6 years old now.
Old 9th February 2017, 13:57   #2917
BHPian

My TV is connected to Yamaha YAS 103 soundbar via SPDIF input. In the setting for the sound out, the tv has two options "PCM" and "Auto" with the default being "PCM". I am total noob w.r.t. to this - so can anyone tell me what is the difference and the right setting?

Last edited by timuseravan : 9th February 2017 at 14:07. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th February 2017, 23:03   #2918
BHPian

So I have a Sanyo 43" TV which has pretty good PQ, but the sound is terrible.

I would like to have decent 2.1 audio out of it. Any suggestions how to go about it? I am thinking of an AVR with speakers, entry level (~30K). Suggestions?
Old 9th February 2017, 23:35   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
So I have a Sanyo 43" TV which has pretty good PQ, but the sound is terrible.

I would like to have decent 2.1 audio out of it. Any suggestions how to go about it? Suggestions?
Get the THX certified Logitech 2.1 system. It is available for about Rs 8000. Will do justice to your TV and shake the room as well when needed too. Shun the 5.1 system as the sound quality suffers drastically for the price. If the pockets are real deep then you could go for Audioengine A2+ speakers. DO not splurge more unless you have a room that can do justice to costlier speakers.

If you have serious money then you could buy these speakers from a small village in Kerala but you would need to sell your house and rob a bank too, to buy this. Rethm Saadhana speakers are the rage in the audiophile community.

http://www.rethm.com

Last edited by drpullockaran : 9th February 2017 at 23:45.
Old 10th February 2017, 04:51   #2920
BHPian

Re: Home Theater for India from USA?

Quote:
Have a listen to the cinemate 15.
I don't know where one can get an audition here. Will check out in 'Best Buy', but am NOT sure.

Any members here with Bose Cinemate 15? How would it sound in a double ceiling living room with a window facing outdoors? I am NOT a audiophile but would like something more than what my panasonic TV pumps now.

If NOT for HT, please suggest some good speakers which I can carry from here to India. That way, I can source the AVR in India and complete the HT system.

Please pour in your suggestions!
Old 10th February 2017, 09:51   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know where one can get an audition here. Will check out in 'Best Buy', but am NOT sure.
BestBuy will have it and so will Target/Sams/Costco etc
I purchased one of mine from Target and the other from Costco.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:44   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
BestBuy will have it and so will Target/Sams/Costco etc I purchased one of mine from Target and the other from Costco.
All right! So, how was the experience carrying 'cinemate 15' back to India.

Did you carry it as one single box? Did it require any extra padding's?

Last edited by JMaruru : 10th February 2017 at 12:47.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:54   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
All right! So, how was the experience carrying 'cinemate 15' back to India.Did you carry it as one single box? Did it require any extra padding's?
The first one, I carried as is. I bought it in its box from target and drove straight to the airport. No camouflage or anything and walked out green channel. Second one, I unwrapped and packed it in my soft carry case - check in luggage, padded with pillows. Again on the way to the airport. The speakers are really small and do not occupy too much space. The woofer is largish, size of a typical CPU tower box. again no issues in customs or anything.

Last edited by diyguy : 10th February 2017 at 13:05.
Old 10th February 2017, 13:12   #2924
BHPian

I was always fond of passive speakers and floor standing ones. I used to have a Swan speaker before and was really amazed by the quality of sound. After a lot of research I bought TAGA Harmony. Very few have heard about Taga and honestly I also didnt hear about it until I started researching.

I bought the 506v2 model which is 5.0. The specialty of Taga is that it is built for both music and movies. I also bought a Pioneer AVR VSX 330 and a Sony BD player. The below picture is the full set of speaker, however this has been rearranged now. I bought all of them from amazon India.

The Home Theater thread-img20170210wa0038.jpg

I am really happy with the speaker and would recommend. I dont think you will get anything close to what these speakers can deliver within this price.

Old 10th February 2017, 13:46   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
All right! So, how was the experience carrying 'cinemate 15' back to India.
Have a look at this one. Am traveling this weekend to the US and am considering bringing this back for my friend.
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTouch-Soundbar-Wireless-Acoustimass/dp/B01N1NM0JX

Most Viewed