Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 11:29   #301
Senior - BHPian

Ok here is an update from me.

Picked up the Sony DVD Home Theater system DAV-DZ520K instead of the DZ120k. Prices had been slashed and i got the 520k for 20grand. 4k more than the 120k model but has tower speakers in front.

Linky : Sony India - like no other

Phew.. I spent the whole weekend watchin tons of action movies and car flicks.
Old 1st May 2007, 11:47   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
The NAD BEE combo is very good but I found Cambridge Audio 640 combo better as it has more smoother sound and also have more detail in midrange and treble. The overall presentation of the sound is very good, has to be the best CD player - integrated combo.

Hence happen to own one too .
I have listened to most of the speaker brands. It will be really long post and tiring for me if I write them all here. My all time favourite is Tannoy especially the old school ones or the current Prestige Series.
Hi Autophile,

I have heard a lot about the Cambridge Audio CDP/integrated amp.combo too..What hifi have them in their top ratings..I am infact considering them except for the fact that demo is hard to get :-( . Same goes for Tannoy..It would be great to hear your set up provided ofcourse its okay & convenient with you.

Would like to know the merits of PM 7200KI (Marantz integrated amp) & appropriate CDP vis-a-vis Cambride audio combo too..I would be travelling to Singapore in June hence would to firm up my choice of CDP/integrated amp./receiver which I can buy from there..Its much cheaper there..
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:04   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi folks,
What would be your take on Norge productsNorge 2060 Stereo Amplifier
and Norge Bookshelf speakers
Norge Book Shelf Speakers MD 80 VIFA
Can one use a Stereo amp/bookshelves for movies? For an entry-level home theater setup (29" CRT TV and DVD player). Or would it be a big compromise for movies?
For the price they are good. Shyam Bajaj is a good man to deal with. The MD80 uses budget Vifa drivers (used to be called TC line) and amp uses a torroid transformer and decent power filtering.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:45   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
For the price they are good. Shyam Bajaj is a good man to deal with. The MD80 uses budget Vifa drivers (used to be called TC line) and amp uses a torroid transformer and decent power filtering.
and whats the price???
Navin am looking for home theatre with towers, not just beacuse they sound better its also because of my bedroom interiors and am having large bedroom, am a movie freak, please suggest which system should i look at???
P.S. I like the clarity n sound of JBL, but don know which model
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:37   #305
BHPian

You can have Tannoy demo any time. I would prefer Cambridge Audio any day to Marantz but then thats me.

Above Cambridge Audio i prefer Creek Audio.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:41   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
and whats the price???l
please contact norge direct. I have no idea of prices.

Norge Audiophile Systems
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:41   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
I would be travelling to Singapore in June hence would to firm up my choice of CDP/integrated amp./receiver which I can buy from there..Its much cheaper there..
Is it really cheaper there? I was just browsing thru some online audio site (SG) and found that the list prices are higher than US street prices, for say Audison or Focal. Is there a "PriceGrabber" for Singapore? Or a local classifieds/forum?

Also, AshOTR, what is the value limit that one can import from SG without any duty? (Like the $600 value for USD)
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:10   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Navin am looking for home theatre with towers, not just beacuse they sound better its also because of my bedroom interiors and am having large bedroom, am a movie freak, please suggest which system should i look at??? P.S. I like the clarity n sound of JBL, but don know which model
KEF IQ's are good looking as well as sounding. It all depends on the budget as well.

In the January What Hi-Fi, there was a recap on some of the products they discussed earlier, in the section product of the year. Epos seems to rule the below 1 lac set. A new set by Dali and Tannoy were listed as best in the above 1.5lac category.

I am not sure about its dynamics (most of the UK speakers are laid back, IMHO), but Wharfedale Diamonds seems to be a traditional favorite when it comes to budget 5.1 (70k)

I heard some good words about the new series from Sonodyne. Perhaps Navin has heard them?
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:45   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Is it really cheaper there? I was just browsing thru some online audio site (SG) and found that the list prices are higher than US street prices, for say Audison or Focal. Is there a "PriceGrabber" for Singapore? Or a local classifieds/forum?

Yes, it is ..Dunno about the online audio site (which ones??) but got it checked from the dealers directly..on an average 50% or more..For e.g.I checked out Marantz PM 7200KI integrated amp. fm a SG dealer (via my bro-in-law who's in SG) & the price quoted was Sing$ 500 (abt Rs.13-14K) whereas in Delhi I will get the PM 7200 (not the KI model which is more expensive) at 35-36K..Also Marantz SR 8500 receiver is going for Sing$ 1400 (abt Rs.39K) whereas in Delhi the official price fm the distributor is abt Rs. 80K+

Also, AshOTR, what is the value limit that one can import from SG without any duty? (Like the $600 value for USD)
Dunno specifically abt SG..guess it will be the same as $600 or $500..not more..
Old 11th May 2007, 00:18   #310
BHPian

Quote:
got it checked from the dealers directly..on an average 50% or more..For e.g.I checked out Marantz PM 7200KI integrated amp. fm a SG dealer (via my bro-in-law who's in SG) & the price quoted was Sing$ 500 (abt Rs.13-14K) whereas in Delhi I will get the PM 7200 (not the KI model which is more expensive) at 35-36K.
That sounds really worth. I have only sourced from US before, never tried SG. But I think the street price in US is <$200 for 7200. Couldnt locate KI.

BTW, I am thinking about Zaph's MTM project with Seas drivers. Twin 6.5" aluminum drivers and tweeters, total component cost is $175. A friend has promised to join the project and do the XO/ cutting wood. Will post up here (if I ever start)
Old 11th May 2007, 01:09   #311
BHPian

Quote:
That sounds really worth. I have only sourced from US before, never tried SG. But I think the street price in US is <$200 for 7200. Couldnt locate KI.

BTW, I am thinking about Zaph's MTM project with Seas drivers. Twin 6.5" aluminum drivers and tweeters, total component cost is $175. A friend has promised to join the project and do the XO/ cutting wood. Will post up here (if I ever start)
Hey Determinus..Thats real cool man !! so you're a DIY person..Hmm..do post once the work is done & how it sounds..Navin should be happy to read this..Navin??

As for me..I am still stuck on JM Lab Cobalt 826 S floorstanders..great sound..demo kit (5.1 set up)..asking price is too much (1.75L for 5.1 setup)..so hoping to bring it down & try one last time to negotiate with the seller..a distributor who's replacing them with Vienna Acoustics Behtoven series speakers in his audition room..BTW how much one can ask for discount on a 5.1 demo set & that too a series which has been discontinued..is 50% discount a fair ask?? and what else one needs to keep in mind while buying a demo kit ..Any suggestions...
Old 11th May 2007, 12:52   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Determinus..Thats real cool man !! so you're a DIY person..Hmm..do post once the work is done & how it sounds..Navin should be happy to read this..Navin??
I havent met Navin, but when I do he would probably kick me in the butt. I have many plans on paper, nothing where my hands are dirty.

Quote:
As for me..I am still stuck on JM Lab Cobalt 826 S floorstanders..great sound..demo kit (5.1 set up)..asking price is too much (1.75L for 5.1 setup)..so hoping to bring it down & try one last time to negotiate with the seller..a distributor who's replacing them with Vienna Acoustics Behtoven series speakers in his audition room..BTW how much one can ask for discount on a 5.1 demo set & that too a series which has been discontinued..is 50% discount a fair ask?? and what else one needs to keep in mind while buying a demo kit ..Any suggestions...
How much do they sell it for? Considering Cobalt 800 series 5.1 sells for $5200, which possibly translates to ~3L including frieght, about 1.5 is a good buy, I think. 50% is a good deal. (I was once offered a demo pair B&W DM603 for 22k, which is 50%. I didnt pick them up, that's another story). What did Navin say? Did you try PM him? How old are these ones, BTW?

They say that Cobalt is a little bright compared to B&W or Paradigms. How did your audition feel like? And how do you plan to drive them? Wouldnt Creek or Rotel be better than Matantz (you seem to be zeroing on it)

Last edited by determinus : 11th May 2007 at 12:58.
Old 11th May 2007, 15:45   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do he would probably kick me in the butt. I have many plans on paper, nothing where my hands are dirty.

They say that Cobalt is a little bright compared to B&W or Paradigms. How did your audition feel like? And how do you plan to drive them? Wouldnt Creek or Rotel be better than Matantz (you seem to be zeroing on it)
Why would I kick anyone in the butt?

I too have a long list of unfinished projects
a. Mods on a CD63KI
b. EL34 PP UL/Triode power amp (2 nos) UL for 2 ScanSpeak 18W woofers in PP and Triode for a 9900 tweeter
c. EL84 PP Triode tweeter amp (Tweeter is Morel MDT33)
d. 2 Isobarik (2x 8" bass reflex) and 2 dipole woofer (2 x 12") panel
e. active crossovers (2 stereo XOs) using OP275
and more...

The Cobalts need a bit of power. Dont know if Creek, Rotel or Marantz integrateds would be able to do justice.
Old 11th May 2007, 16:54   #314
BHPian

Audition - Avantgarde Acoustic horn speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Cobalts need a bit of power. Dont know if Creek, Rotel or Marantz integrateds would be able to do justice.
Hi Navin,Determinus,B&T,Sam & other audiophile friends :

I heard JM Lab Cobalt 826 s today but they didn't sound as well to my ears today (they seemed to lack clarity at high volumes..may be due to lack of power amp firing the main speakers ) may be due to the following factor below :

I took a demo of avantgarde acoustic horn loudspeakers..for the very first time I heard a high end "horn" speakers (demoed kit - avantgarde - "Solo" & Uno series speakers,cabling - Nordost,interconnects - Nordost, Preamp - Meridian,CDP - Audio Auro something).

"Truth be told" - It would be fair to say that I was totally blown away by the avantgarde horn speakers performance..as if a "live" performance was in progress...Besides the incredible undistorted sound pressure levels even at high volume there was amazing clarity & neutrality, precise focus,sound stage,great imaging & detail. Do not think I have heard better speakers than this ever, so far in my life..Though initially I have not taken too kindly to horn speakers looks:-). Now a bit about the specs :

Solo is a fully active, coaxial 2 way horn speakers in a bass reflex enclosure. It has a powerful in-built 250 solid state amplifier. The active module consists of a flexible input control unit,and active frequency cross over & a power amp. Sensitivity is > 97 db for Solo & 101 db for Uno !!,frequency response : 30 - 20,000 Hz, Nominal Impedance : 8 ohms.

Any feedback from people who have owned/auditioned/heard horn speakers,esp.from Avantgarde Acoustic (Germany) . Navin/B&T/Determinus : any comments/feedback...by the way Solo home theatre 5.1 speakers MRP is INR 2.5L approx. & is the entry level range in the avantgarde portfolio..
Old 11th May 2007, 17:05   #315
BHPian

Quote:
How much do they sell it for? Considering Cobalt 800 series 5.1 sells for $5200, which possibly translates to ~3L including frieght, about 1.5 is a good buy, I think. 50% is a good deal. (I was once offered a demo pair B&W DM603 for 22k, which is 50%. I didnt pick them up, that's another story). What did Navin say? Did you try PM him? How old are these ones, BTW?

Yeah,Cobalt's is little bright & hence needs sensible electronics..the floorstanders requires power amp (200W/ch) separately & the audition today was good but at high volumes the sound was little lacking& was getting little distorted..By the way I heard my entire album of Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD audio with DTS..It was amazing..Projector used was SIM2 & Arcam 350 AVR for amplification & Acam CD73 CD player..I guess the best would be to use an Outlaw or Roksan Kandy power amp & use Marantz/Arcam receiver as pre-amp to drive JM lab Cobalt. But before that I heard Avantgarde horn speakers..after which I couldn't really hear anything such was the impact & impression they created on me..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks