Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 12:59   #3286
BANNED

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
My Panasonic TV model is TH-58D300DX(2016) model
My speaker is JBL Bar 51 True wireless with 5.1 configuration.
I have searched my TV menu under vierra link but there is no option for any audio but HDMI 2 terminal says HDMI (Sound Out) which I believe must be ARC.
ARC means audio return channel. You ought to be able to control the soundbar using the TV remote. So, ensure you have enabled ARC in the TV HDMI menu and also turn off the internal speakers. Maybe, telling the TV to use HDMI out automatically turns off the internal speakers, but is ARC enabled? Google has some people who couldn't get sound through HDMI because ARC was misconfigured.
Old 19th October 2019, 09:45   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
ARC is a relatively newer feature and might not be available on the old ones. You can google for your model number and find out. Also, check the settings to turn Viera link On

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=K26r4_U-5OI1
Thanks @Turbanator It worked which I never thought of!
I can hear a more clear sound separation and clean deep music after connecting to HDMI.
Old 19th October 2019, 09:57   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Can anyone suggest the ways to utilize old Polk Bookshelf speakers, for playing sound output from TV.
Equip it with a stereo 2.0 amplifier based on your budget, cheaper ones from Amazon/Aliexpress (Amazon cheap option) or invest in a proper stereo receiver from Pioneer/Yamaha.
That should be enough to give a rebirth to your old speakers.
Old 1st November 2019, 14:39   #3289
Team-BHP Support

Requesting help on similar issue that ddriver faced setting up his JBL sound system with the Panasonic TV:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
I have connected my Panasonic LED tv 58 inch with HDMI Sound Out port (ARC i believe) to HDMI ARC of JBL speaker but surprisingly no sound is coming!
Quote:
ARC is a relatively newer feature and might not be available on the old ones.
Facing a similar issue when connecting my Marantz AVR to Samsung TV, connected HDMI cable to ARC (HDMI 1 on TV) and ARC / Video Out port on AVR but I can't seem to get the AVR to interact with the TV whatsoever.

I have tried connecting the AVR to the Samsung TV using an analog cable but the TV source menu did not detect the connection. Another alternative I tried was getting a newer HDMI cable from amazon considering the older cable may not be compatible for ARC connection, but yet again no detection whatsoever.

All these years I had been using the AVR with my Sony TV using an optical cable for sound to the AVR and analog cables for Airtel, DVD to the TV and BT music receiver directly to the AVR everything worked perfectly. The problem started with the Sony going bad and the replacement Samsung's India spec TV not having optical port (something I should have paid attention to when buying).

The sound settings menu on the Samsung TV lets me choose between the following:
  • TV speakers
  • Aux / Optical Out
  • BT speakers
I don't see an option for switching to HDMI for audio whatsoever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It helps if you can share the TV and sound bar model number.
  • Marantz NR 1402
  • Samsung 43N5100 (Indian spec without optical port)
Old 1st November 2019, 15:27   #3290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Facing a similar issue when connecting my Marantz AVR to Samsung TV, connected HDMI cable to ARC (HDMI 1 on TV) and ARC / Video Out port on AVR but I can't seem to get the AVR to interact with the TV whatsoever.
So what is the source- some DVD player or has the AVR built-in player or just the amplifier? You will need to connect ARC/ Video out on the AVR to TV - HDMI 1 or 2 whatever is AVR not necessarily HDMI1 (go through the manual)

Quote:

All these years I had been using the AVR with my Sony TV using an optical cable for sound to the AVR and analog cables for Airtel, DVD to the TV and BT music receiver directly to the AVR everything worked perfectly.
All this equipment should go into the Input side of AVR via HDMI or Optical into the respective input ports and the output should go to the Samsung TV. Your video will be routed via AVR if it has that capability, if not then everything goes to the TV and Audio is routed back to the amplifier via the ARC port ( 1 or 2). You can try choosing different output options on the Samsung TV.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st November 2019 at 15:30.
Old 1st November 2019, 15:56   #3291
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the quick response!

Quote:
All this equipment should go into the Input side of AVR via HDMI or Optical into the respective input ports and the output should go to the Samsung TV. Your video will be routed via AVR if it has that capability, if not then everything goes to the TV and Audio is routed back to the amplifier via the ARC port ( 1 or 2). You can try choosing different output options on the Samsung TV.
Over the past year or so we have stopped using the Airtel Box, BT music receiver and the DVD. We only need to have the firestick running. Current connections are as follows:
  • Firestick connected to HDMI 2 on the Samsung TV
  • HDMI cable connected between ARC / HDMI 1 on the Samsung TV and ARC / Video Out HDMI port on AVR
What I only want to achieve with the above setup is that we can use the TV speakers for casual watching, and power on the AVR for the movies, music, etc. which was a extremely seamless with the Optical cable that we used for the Sony TV.
Old 1st November 2019, 16:38   #3292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Firestick connected to HDMI 2 on the Samsung TV[*]HDMI cable connected between ARC / HDMI 1 on the Samsung TV and ARC / Video Out HDMI port on AVR[/list]What I only want to achieve with the above setup is that we can use the TV speakers for casual watching, and power on the AVR for TV.
You need to put TV ARC output (can be HDMI 1 or HDMI2) into HDMI Input of the AVR. I think you are using output port of AVR which won’t get signal into the AVR irrespective of the ARC input from TV side. If your AVR doesn’t have an HDMI input and your TV doesn’t have an optical out, you will need to buy an additional device.
Old 1st November 2019, 19:57   #3293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You need to put TV ARC output (can be HDMI 1 or HDMI2) into HDMI Input of the AVR. I think you are using output port of AVR which won’t get signal into the AVR irrespective of the ARC input from TV side.
You're probably right, I've been connecting the HDMI cable to the right most HDMI port marked ARC / HDMI OUT in the below image:
The Home Theater thread-c26nr14022l.jpg

Image Source: Marantz US

Last edited by manson : 1st November 2019 at 20:01.
Old 1st November 2019, 20:02   #3294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You're probably right, I've been connecting the HDMI cable to the right most HDMI port marked ARC / HDMI OUT in the below picture:
Attachment 1929424
Its definitely confusing. What is the purpose of HDMI ARC out on the receiver then? The HDMI out of the receiver is mostly connected to the TV/Projector. Not able to think of a use case where the ARC from the receiver is used.
Old 1st November 2019, 21:05   #3295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HDMI cable to the right most HDMI port marked ARC / HDMI OUT
Try this - take care of the bold function

In order to transmit the TV audio from the television to the A/V receiver via HDMI, you must connect an HDMI cable from the ARC-compatible input of the TV to the HDMI-Monitor-Output of the receiver.
In the set-up menu of the A/V receiver you must set the item HDMI Settings - HDMI Control to "ON" (more detailed information can be found in the user manual on the pages on HDMI Control).
In order to ensure the smooth transmission of all video resolutions, we recommend the use of HIGH SPEED cables.

https://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/...-samsung-tv%3F

http://manuals.marantz.com/NR1605/NA...SYwysioymk.php

http://manuals.marantz.com/NR1605/NA...OKNRMLcmnaxisu

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st November 2019 at 21:10.
Old 4th November 2019, 13:03   #3296
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the links, unfortunately I have still not been able to get the AVR menu on the TV screen. I tried using the analog cable between the video out on the AVR and the video in on the TV but there was no signal from the AVR. Meanwhile when I did connect the DVD player to the AVR and used the same cable for sending video from AVR to TV it worked perfectly.

Either there is a setting on the AVR for sending signal to TV that I need to set to on or some component that should automatically perform the function has gone bad due to never being used. Will dropby the Marantz store in the course of the week and figure this one out.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:30   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am mulling getting a home theater setup done. I haven't done on any research on this point - projector or TV? Asking in terms of picture quality first and long term ownership second.

I will mostly be using it for movies. But I might end up hooking my PS4/Stadia to it too. Would a projector work well in that case - what with lamp life etc? And refresh rates?

Appreciate your inputs.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:48   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to put TV ARC output (can be HDMI 1 or HDMI2) into HDMI Input of the AVR.
Incorrect. If the aim is to get an audio feed from the TV to the AVR, the terminal to be used is indeed HDMI Out/ARC.

You use HDMI input for your Blu Ray Player, STB, Playstation, Computer, etc.

Quote:
You're probably right, I've been connecting the HDMI cable to the right most HDMI port marked ARC / HDMI OUT in the below image:
The terminal you are using is correct. However; you need to identify the correct terminal behind the TV that has ARC. I believe it is HDMI IN 1. Please download the user manual from Samsung India website.

Samsung TV's also have something called AnyNet+. This will need to be enabled in the Menu in order for audio to make its way back from the TV to the AVR. There are sub options within AnyNet+, if I recall right. I remember this from my old Samsung Plasma TV. One option allows Power control which allows both devices to come on simultaneously and the other is just for an audio feed to go through. Fiddle around. You can't break anything. I did struggle with this too but with some patience, I did get it to work without a hitch.

Setting up ARC can be a bit of a headache initially. The first time I used ARC was 8 years ago and it was tricky to set up. It is the same even today. User Manuals talk very little about how to get this going. There isn't a good hand shake between devices and manufacturers too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th November 2019 at 01:54.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:55   #3299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The terminal you are using is correct. However; you need to identify the correct terminal behind the TV that has ARC. I believe it is HDMI IN 1. Please download the user manual from Samsung India website.
The ARC port is indeed HDMI 1. The manual I received had some basic instructions and the detailed instructions are now fed into the e-manual which is a menu within the TV.

Quote:
Samsung TV's also have something called AnyNet+.
Thanks a ton for leading me onto this, will check it out and update shortly. Hopefully this is the setting that I need to turn on for the AVR to interact with the TV!

Quote:
The first time I used ARC was 8 years ago and it was tricky to set up. It is the same even today. User Manuals talk very little about how to get this going. There isn't a good hand shake between devices and manufacturers too.
Agreed. Almost all the pages I've discovered on google have kept me going around in circles. The Marantz manual mentions about turning the HDMI control to ON but says nothing on how to do it. The Samsung manual mentions on connecting into the ARC port but nothing on the AnyNet+ menu that you just mentioned. This is similar to ddriver faced with his Panasonic unit as well.
Old 5th November 2019, 19:44   #3300
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Have been thinking of home theater setup for long time and my requirement is as below. Please help with your advise and suggestions.

Requirement : Music 60 % and Movies 40 %
Budget : around 75k

After some analysis and visiting a dealer, thinking of the below models:

1) Onkyo 5915 HTIB (2019 model - successor to 5805) for 77k (5.1.2)
Entry level Atmos receiver with 5.1.2 speakers. Listened to the setup and to my ears felt decent for movies and music

2) Denon 1600h Receiver + Onkyo SKF 4800 speakers for 85k (5.0)
Receiver is slightly better than option 1 with WiFi as well. Listened to the setup and felt it is much better for music even without a sub.
But having small kids at home, placing floor standers is not a good option

So, is Onkyo 5915 a good buy at 77k ?
Or since floor standers are not an option, is there any bookshelf speaker combination which i can check for the same budget ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks