Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 19:58   #3391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Recently I ordered Marantz NR1509 on Amazon. Installed it 2 weeks back connecting it to Bose Acoustimass 6. It has been all good so far.
Thanks for that info. Does the manufacturer honour the warranty if bought from Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
While these folks are based in the USA, they ship to India. Their products are compatible to our voltage and frequency too.

They don't sell AV receivers. They do sell AV Pre Processor and Power Amplifier. Few options for speakers too. Highly recommended products.

https://emotiva.com/
I've lusted after Emotiva but never owned any. Will let my friend know - though he might be thrown off by the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post

What is his budget and preference? Suggestions can be made and then your friend can visit the local stores in Bangalore to have a listen and decide. First rule of audio, always listen before buying. Unless of-course he already knows what he wants and is merely looking for a sale outlet.
Yeah I had asked him to listen before he makes a decision but what with the lockdown and mostly all online sales, he has been having difficulties locating a store that has good audio equipment. Any pointers to dealers in Bangalore? I can check with him but pretty sure he'd keep his budget to within a lakh for the 2 floorstanders+ AV receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Try with nexthifi.com. I have bought a couple of receivers and speaker packages and found their services quite reliable and prices attractive compared to the other sites .
Thanks for that firsthand info. Will pass it to him.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2020 at 21:32. Reason: Quoted post edited. =)
Old 19th June 2020, 20:08   #3392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for that info. Does the manufacturer honour the warranty if bought from Amazon?
Not sure about that. But there is a warranty card in the box. Need to call Marantz support number in India and see how it goes.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:21   #3393
BHPian

This is another Indian site for online hifi

http://https://hifimart.com/
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 05:39   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
This is another Indian site for online hifi
Thanks for the reminder. Had forgotten about these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I've lusted after Emotiva but never owned any. Will let my friend know - though he might be thrown off by the prices.
It is almost a bargain if you were to buy in the USA as there is a 30 day return program on their products. It also works out a lot cheaper. You can build a budget level Amplifier Speaker system for as little as $700.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:57   #3395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is almost a bargain if you were to buy in the USA as there is a 30 day return program on their products. It also works out a lot cheaper. You can build a budget level Amplifier Speaker system for as little as $700.
Will surely take a look and see how that works out. Thanks for the info on the shipping as well.
Old 24th June 2020, 22:18   #3396
BHPian

Hi Guys. I am presently in the market for an AVR and a 5.1.2 atmos setup for a room whose dimensions are 16''9'x15"6'

For the AVR, I selected the Denon x1600h as I feel it has all the features I need. Are there any better options in this price range?

Coming to the speakers, the vendor suggested these 2 packages for my budget.

1. Dali Fazon Mikro 5.0 with Dali e9 subwoofer - 1.25l
2. Paradigm CT 100 5.1 package - 88k

Atmos Speakers - Revel 263 - 26k

The prices are prior to negotiations.

I have not heard neither of these, as they do bot have a demo showroom. Does any one has any experience with these. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th June 2020 at 13:58. Reason: Typos and grammar.
Rohit_Quad is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2020, 03:38   #3397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Any better options in this price range?
I would go with the Paradigm speaker solution. Easier speaker to drive among the two and a lot cheaper too. You should half your budget for the Atmos speakers. They are not overly critical. Just about any ceiling speaker will do the job. Check Sonodyne, Pro Fx Pro 231 for budget ceiling speakers.
Old 25th June 2020, 15:19   #3398
BHPian

Attachment 2020876
Quote:
I would go with the Paradigm speaker solution. Easier speaker to drive among the two and a lot cheaper too. You should half your budget for the Atmos speakers.
As per your suggestion, i have asked for revised quotes with Polk Atmos speakers. So the discounted prizes are -
1. Dali 190k
2. Paradigm 165K

The Dali setup has a 9 inch Subwoofer (170w RMS sustained) where as the Paradigm has an 8 inch subwoofer (100w RMS sustained). I have no idea if the Dali will sound better than the Paradigm or Vice Versa. Considering that the Dali has a bigger and more powerful subwoofer and the Denon X1600h can drive 175w, which should i go for?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-capture-1.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-capture.jpg  

Old 26th June 2020, 03:42   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
As per your suggestion, i have asked for revised quotes with Polk Atmos speakers.
Stick to the Paradigm setup. If you are unhappy with the Sub Woofer performance, you can always buy one later. There are better subs at the same or less than the cost of the Dali such as a REL T Zero or Fyne Audio F3-10. The latter should play lower and deeper than the Dali with ease.

Drop the cost of the ceiling speakers even more.

I would spend less on the sub woofer cable. Its a simple RCA connector running to the sub.

Unless you plan on upgrading the set up later, which means you can re use speaker cable, I would not spend Rs. 9000 for speaker cables. Keep in mind that this is a pretty basic sub woofer satellite set up.

12k for installation is steep. What exactly are they doing for you that its going to cost so much?

I must say that home theater prices have gone through the roof. A set up like this would have been in the region of 100k, 7-8 years ago.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 26th June 2020 at 03:44.
Old 27th June 2020, 02:01   #3400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Go with this. This should work perfectly.
I have a VU premium series android tv with a 2.1 boAt soundbar and airtel DTH connection.

I connected DTH to TV using non ARC HDMI port and also connected soundbar to TV using HDMI ARC port on TV and soundbar.

I am somehow unable to send audio to the soundbar. CEC option is enabled as well

Dont know how to proceed. Any idea guys?
Old 27th June 2020, 02:31   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I have a VU premium series android tv with a 2.1 boAt soundbar and airtel DTH connection.

I connected DTH to TV using non ARC HDMI port and also connected soundbar to TV using HDMI ARC port on TV and soundbar.

I am somehow unable to send audio to the soundbar. CEC option is enabled as well

Dont know how to proceed. Any idea guys?
I cannot comment on the specific connections as I do not use either 3 of them. My only thought is that check the Format of the Audio Output across the devices. Sometimes PCM/Dolby/Stereo is a problem with compatibility.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 03:40   #3402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Any idea guys?
CEC is only for control of HDMI devices.

Go through the General TV setup Menu and Sound Menu on the TV and look for anything under Audio Output and Format. Start by using terrestrial TV broadcast first (Aerial or DTH set top box input). This will rule out any fancy decoding coming in the way of the sound bar not being able to decode.

Read the instruction manual for the TV and Sound Bar. There might be information on HDMI ARC. The Sound Bar will usually work on only one Input when ARC is active.

There is usually a toggle for sound output via TV speakers or external audio. This is how it is on my Sony.
Old 9th July 2020, 19:10   #3403
Senior - BHPian

My father in law needs help configuring a 5.1 home theater geared primary towards music.
Source needs to have at least 3 analog inputs to connect a cassette deck, dvd player and vinyl player. DVD upscaling to 1080p would be a plus. Video will be played via an existing 42/43 inch samsung plasma.

I tried my best to pen down his listening needs as follows:
He listens primarily to classic rock and on occasion old Hindi/Telugu/Tamil songs stored on cassettes, vinyl records and CDs.
He also has a huge collection of live rock concerts on DVD with 5.1 which he has unable to listen to since he moved back to Hyderabad from Delhi about 6 years back since the current music room does not have a TV.
His current system is a Technics stereo amp with about 40w rms per channel connected to a pair of tower(or large bookshelf??) speakers by AKAI and also a pair of AKAI satellite speakers (definitely bookshelf). Sources are a technics twin cassette deck player, Sony CD player and a Technics Vinyl Record player. He also has an additional AKAI Cassette Deck player and a pair of Sony headphones.
I don't know how the amplifier splits power between four speakers even though it is only a stereo amplifier.
If anyone is interested in the exact details of various equipment please do let me know and I will do my best to look up this info online as most of the equipment was purchased in the mid to late 70s.

He has two other listening experiences (for long durations) that I know of:
His uncles home theater by B&O(or was it B&W) purchased from the UK in the early 2000s for a princely sum that was well into the 7 figures (Rupees). Take back from this listening experience was that it was too rich for his taste (with a big grin on his face)
My modest car audio which is a pair of Rainbow 5.25"(cant remember if is DL or SL series), a passive 12" rainbow Sub in a factory built ported enclosure powered by a rainbow Ipaul 4 channel amp. Source is a P80PRS running 3 way active with time alignment. Feedback from this is that he loves the sound stage and tonal separation along with good lows but poor lower mids (which is my main complaint as well but cant get bigger woofers owing to stock door mount size issues)

He listens to music for a couple of hours every day and would like a neutral to warm sounding home theater with great tonal separation that is geared to his taste in music.

The budget initially considered by him was around 30-40k which was intended to get a sony/Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon HTIB package but I dissuaded him knowing for sure he wouldn't like the sound signature.
Unfortunately in these uncertain times he is not keen on stepping out to audition various speakers owing to his age and is relying on me to make the right choice for him.(however even I am not too keen on stepping out unnecessarily to public spaces)
I have limited knowledge in the home audio department and I currently use a sony HTIB that is well over a decade old at home in stereo mode. I could survive so far as I usually din't have time to listen to much music at home and most of my listening needs were taken care of in the ample traffic jams every day.
I listen to primarily to classic rock, EDM (and the various associated sub genres), Psy trance & D&B (BPM between 160-190). Need a stereo system under a budget of 40-50k that can cater to the varied music that I listen to. Sources would vary from spotify on my phone or laptop. So it would be a big plus to have wireless capabilities but is not a compulsion as long as I can connect up a TV with chromecast to the speakers. I prefer listening to my music highly equalized to enhance the bass and mids and keep the treble way low (probably because all the speakers that I own are so bright??)

I had suggested my father in law to look into Marantz AVR NR1509 With Pioneer S-RS88TB Speakers Set.
An active sub could be added later on if he felt the bass was lacking. Considering his original budget of 30-40k this is nearly double but have explained to him that good quality sound is not cheap and that he should invest in a good system once and for all rather than waste 30-40k on something that won't satisfy him for sure and spend more money upgrading or stay unsatisfied listening to music everyday (This might have worked). He has warmed up to the idea of slightly upping his budget.

TLDR/ Summary.

Need suggestions for a 5.1 Home theater budget 70-90k geared primarily to listen to music(Classic Rock). Would prefer a pair of floor standing speakers for the main sound stage keeping in mind that the system would be used in 2.0 or 2.1 mode for a considerable time.

Also need suggestion for a stereo system in a budget of 40-50k geared primarily to listen to music. (classic rock, EDM, Psy trance & D&B (BPM between 160-190). Would prefer speakers that are inherently not too bright.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 9th July 2020 at 19:13.
Old 12th July 2020, 23:57   #3404
BHPian

Hey guys,
These are some pictures I have screenshotted from an Instagram page of Mojorojo.

I wanted some advice regarding mounting speakers to the walls like this.
Whithout any cables showing.
Main question was whether it would be possible without drywalls and using normal concrete architecture.

I have seen the houses in the US where holes are cut into the drywall back and wires are passed from behind.
But is it possible otherwise ?

I have seen the Bose wireless rear speakers with batteries but I feel that the Bose systems are grossly overpriced.

And help identifying the system please??
These are all the pictures I have.

System looks great for a small room .
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-20200712_235138.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-20200712_235121.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-20200712_235100.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 13th July 2020 at 00:02. Reason: Added questions
Old 28th July 2020, 21:55   #3405
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it a good idea to use a 5.1 ch sound bar setup like the Sony HTS 20R for a desktop PC? I had a budget of around 15k for my computer audio. I have been running two 2.1 Creative Inspires from more than a decade now which have been working fine with good deep bass since its like a 4.2ch setup. Now its itching to upgrade and I came across mostly soundbar setups and no longer finding the kind of desktop speakers I would get earlier. Hence, shall I just get the HTS 20R or a JBL 2.1 channel setup? Or if there are any alternatives please suggest. The HTS 20R is being listed for 15k hence thats what is convincing me to go for this setup. What would be the drawback of using this for a PC? I have both HDMI and optical out on my computer so it will support the surround setup without issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks