Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 03:14   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Any reviews or any other recommendations please?
Expensive for what it is but worth a look.

https://in.jbl.com/JBL+BAR+9.1+TWS-.html
Old 18th December 2020, 09:25   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Expensive for what it is but worth a look.

https://in.jbl.com/JBL+BAR+9.1+TWS-.html
Too much for a soundbar i feel , also the rechargeable surround speakers seem a hassle and may not have longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
hmm, but Netflix, Amazon and others push out Dolby Digital Plus signals only even though they mention it as Atmos. Could you check that?

No sure about amazon prime , but Netflix seems to have genuine ATMOS content
Old 18th December 2020, 10:02   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too much for a soundbar i feel , also the rechargeable surround speakers seem a hassle and may not have longevity

That JBL is a beast. And the surround speakers are fun to have for movies. Just pull them out, place them behind you and voila insta surround.

Could you go through this?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...y-atmos-sound/
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 10:09   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Hello , fellow bhpians I am looking for a decent soundar with Doulby DTS / ATMOS support to accompany my LGCX55 OLED TV .
I dont want to get any surround / satellite speaker .A sound bar with a wireless sub would suffice .
So far i could shortlist LGSN8YG https://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-sn8yg

Any reviews or any other recommendations please?
Quote:

You can get a stereo set of proper full range bookshelf speakers like Q Acoustics 3030i along with a dedicated amplifier which will offer far-far-far greater and clearer audio experience compared to these boomy garbage made of plastic. Not only the TV/Movie audio, but the music listening experience will be far greater and pleasing.

Atmos technology is just a hype and it is still in initial phase of development with mostly hit or miss kind thing and most of the content available is also highly compressed. Instead a proper stereo pair of speakers with proper placement can produce 2ch Dolby and uncompressed TrueHD formates. Best part is if you get more deeper into the home audio after some time, you can add more channels and can set a proper Dolby/DTS setup by adding more speakers of the same family or timbre matching.

Usually TV audio signals are highly compressed so average quality produced by soundbars may feel okay, but the true potential of proper full range speaker set can clearly be felt if you listen some uncompressed content like Dolby TrueHD or some uncompressed audio formats like audio CD or FLAC.

Better to have audition of stereo pairs at some dedicated home theatre store before putting money on anything related to audio, the process is similar like having test drive of a car before buying.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 04:06   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed on the cost, which I did mention.

You asked for a sound bar and all I did was direct you to one that will cover your requirements. If you don't care about wires and black boxes all over your house, then a component setup is the way to go and you're likely to get better sound. Just don't buy a cheap HTIB solution as those are cheap in their quality and build.

I don't see how a wireless or rechargeable surround speaker ends up being a hassle! I use one and love the fact that I don't need to run a bunch of wires to the back of the room. They run of their own amplifier too. With regard to longevity, its not like a phone where you get a bunch of updates that might eventually slow things down or kill the battery.

The old Philips Fidelio sound bar follows a similar concept to the JBL, that is detachable surround speaker that are also rechargeable. Unfortunately; does only Dolby and DTS.

Considering that the world does not mind paying 16k for a little Apple Home Pod speaker, that is supposedly, a "do it all" speaker, I think 70k is peanuts for the JBL. The design of this system is such that you can get going in probably 5 minutes from taking everything out of the box. Good luck doing this with a full blown home theater system.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd December 2020 at 04:13.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:46   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable inputs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Agreed on the cost, which I did mention.

I don't see how a wireless or rechargeable surround speaker ends up being a hassle! I use one and love the fact that I don't need to run a bunch of wires to the back of the room. They run of their own amplifier too. With regard to longevity, its not like a phone where you get a bunch of updates that might eventually slow things down or kill the battery.
Let me elaborate what I meant by hassle and longevity WRT to the rechargeable surrounds
Any rechargeable battery no matter what kind will start loosing holding capacity with time .The claimed play time for the surrounds is mentioned at 10hours , which will surely go down with time .So they will require charging every day once or twice , depending on the performance and usage .And once the holding falls beyond a point , the entire system might need replacement .I am guessing the life time to be 3-4 years at max .
I did audition it and found it to be a good setup ,but i don't see value in it due to the factors mentioned above.

I do understand that going for proper AVR with good quality components is the way to go to get the best sound quality .Unfortunately that isn't a possibility due the kind of arrangement I have right now.

I have shortlisted a few systems here , which I intent to audition and then finalize one

1.https://www.klipsch.com/products/the...wered-speakers
2.https://www.klipsch.com/products/cinema-400-sound-bar
3.https://www.klipsch.com/products/bar-40-soundbar
4.https://www.jamo.com/products/studio-sb-40-sound-bar
5.https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/au...209/index.html
6.https://www.samsung.com/in/audio-dev...a-904431574476
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:17   #3502
Senior - BHPian

I had the Fidelio B5 and the surround on demand convenience was hard to beat Worked fine for 3 years till my 3yr old son decided to pour water in the main unit! Sigh...waiting for a board replacement now.

But tempted to go for this:
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/a...ems/bdv-n7200w

Are the klipsch and jamo available here? The yamaha seems to be more of a stereo bar. couldn't see the center speaker? If so then dialogues might get lost in the overall sound.

How much is the Samsung Q800T? I see that a surround pair is available separately. So you can make it 5.1.2
Old 31st December 2020, 20:33   #3503
BHPian

https://avshack.in/collections/av-receivers

Is this site legit? Prices are much lower compared to other online sites. Could not find any online reviews of this site.
Old 1st January 2021, 10:08   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I had auditioned this and the half-priced Sony IV-300 6 years back. Weirdly, both are still being sold and AFAIK, without any update.
Somehow, the sound of the IV-300 is much better overall and louder too.
You may wanna audition too before plunging money. I'm really happy with my IV-300.
Old 1st January 2021, 10:16   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Got a good deal on a demo unit for the bdv-n7200w. Besides, it had wired-wireless rear surround setup

My tv room is kind of small so the sound output is ok for me. Just figuring out things. Bit disappointed that i can't find bass/treble controls! :(

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2021 at 11:26. Reason: Capitalising.
Old 19th January 2021, 19:23   #3506
BHPian

My requirement is for 14 feet x 12 feet dimension room. The TV will be placed on a wooden (plywood, not MDF, engineered wood) TV table. And the area just below the horizontal platform is hollow. I have a sony bluetooth speaker SRS-XB40 and it gives extra ordinary sound when placed on this TV table.

The new TV (Samsung 43 inch UHD, 43TUE60 model) will be placed on this TV table, on the 14 feet wall side.

Right now I have a 24" inch Sony LED and Logitech 2.1 system fed through 3.5 mm Aux port. This Logitech has two small speakers and a subwoofer, but produces very nice sound, separated two channel sound, running train from left to right, crisp dialogues, breaking glasses, rain drops etc. And the usual YouTube party songs, dhissum dhassum, gun fires etc. are also nice. Only the classical vocals or instrumentals are not so good. When I bought this Logitech 2.1 never had any idea that it would be so good (almost great). Sony TV is running for 7 years, and Logitech 2.1 for 8-9 years. Logitech had a Amplifier component failure two years back, which my local electronics repair shop could replace.

I prefer the sony Bluetooth XB40 for those classical, instrumentals, sanskrit sholkas etc.

Now, this new TV doesn't have any 3.5 mm Aux. Hence I can't use this existing Logitech 2.1.

I am searching for a good sound bar with subwoofer which can produce great sound (within my budget of 30-35k); or an economic range entry level home theatre.

A. I intend to connect the Amazon Fire stick to the Sound bar or Music system and send the video signal to the TV. Or shall I plan the other way? Connect the fire stick to the TV and send sound signal? Which one would be better for better signal clarity ( no audio or video signal loss). I don't have the set top box like Tatasky etc.

B. For soundbars, whether JBL cinema SB 261, 2.1 or Sony HT S20R 5.1 would be ok? [I am not a big fan of Sony speaker's distorted sound or JBL boom boom]. However no idea how good are these sound bars. I don't trust paid reviews of Amazon or other YouTube channels, online magazines.

Not able to find these models in physical stores. Many stores have closed down in MG Road.

C. Shall I buy Yamaha YAS-209 or Polk Command Bar? Whether their price of 35k match the sound quality? Or are they just gimmick?

D. Or shall I look for budget entry level home theatre of Yamaha (YHT 3072) or Onkyo (HTS 3910) or Pioneer (HTP 076)? These are not available online nowadays. [Running wires are OK for me]

Biggest problem is I couldn't find a physical store to check out the sound qualities of these models. Yesterday visited Yamaha store near Spar in MG road. They don't have any. Sony center has closed down. MGF mall store has also closed down. Sector 29 stores sales people were not very keen to demo quality products. They were more interested to push the boom boom things. Didn't visit Reliance digital since I had a very bad experience with them recently.

My budget is 30-35k maximum.

I intend to keep the set up at least for 10 years unless the input signal technology becomes obsolete (the video signal through the broadband and fire stick type trans-receiver)- which is difficult to predict today.

Last edited by RijuC : 19th January 2021 at 19:26.
Old 20th January 2021, 13:23   #3507
BHPian

I have this 4 year old, Panasonic VIERA TH-40DS500D and it comes with a 20 W speaker enough for a medium sized living room. I had it connected with a 5.1 Phillips speakers for occasional sound requirements. The little one used to perform at decent levels. It doesn't have e-ARC, so there is no way I get Dolby Digital and Atmos effects from the in built Netflix App and the HD Tata SKY with SD channel subscription.

During the lockdown and taking the advantage of being at Home, decided to do some home improvements and went for a total revamp of the living room. That's when the Sound Bar bug bit me, thanks to this thread " (The LG-SL8YG Sound Bar : A review)The LG-SL8YG Sound Bar : A review" and my search for a decent sound bar started.

Requirements -
1. Bluetooth
2. HDMI with ARC
3. Dolby Digital, DTS-X (Good to have)
4. Subwoofer (Wireless, Great)
5. Minimum of 300W power.
6. Budget of 25 K max

Reliance Digital, always had this freedom sale and they were selling at deals better than Amazon. Went to the showroom and they had the following three variants matching my requirements. Connected these sound bars to my iPhone using bluetooth and played the same set of songs in each of them.

1. LG SL6Y. Its a 3.1 channel with a wireless subwoofer. It sounded good, but the voice clarity seemed to be a bit let down. With the center channel it was supposed to be performing better. Sub woofer performance was good. It was selling at Rs 18900/-

2. JBL 2.1 Deep Bass - Monstrous boomer at this price point. I really liked it and the bass was very addictive. If you have a family liking more melodies to a Rock or Jazz stay away from this. It was selling at 26900/-

3. Sony HT-S350. The JACK of all. It has a crisp sound, with a deep bass. Comes with a wireless subwoofer, Dolby audio and Sony's proprietary S-Force Pro Sound. Surround sound is ON by default. It was selling at 19900/- at a 20% off from MRP at Rs 24900/-

Bought the Sony with the freedom day sale deal at Rs 16500/- and got it delivered the very next day. Connected it to the TV using the HDMI cable. Since, it had the wireless sub woofer, I placed it in a different corner of the room for a different sound experience. I hear the rumbles separately.

I would suggest this Sony HT S350, if you requirements are for a decent sound bar, and there is no need for the Alexa and Google assistant requirements.

Some pics of the sound bar and the placements.

Nice and sleek Remote.
The Home Theater thread-6985a2309f254035afcbcf5ce89d7d6f.jpeg

The sound bar
The Home Theater thread-8ff8629839b74c6980b47567ac6f4057.jpeg

Subwoofer placed diagonally opposite and facing the direction of couch.
The Home Theater thread-033dd2d787a145f58b34ea2accbe7999.jpeg

Overall Setup

The Home Theater thread-134af623d5be4edd98ff12f6fc36fe3f.jpeg

Last edited by saisree : 20th January 2021 at 13:36.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 23:15   #3508
BHPian

Which one did you finalize? And which one was second best?

I had few demo (of 30-40k range), but none of them is the best. Not able to source Yamaha YAS 209.
Old 25th January 2021, 19:34   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post

I hear the rumbles separately.

Some pics of the sound bar and the placements.
Actually hearing the rumbles separately is not a good thing at all. The subwoofer ideally needs to disappear into the room and you should not be able to place it when sitting in your sweet spot.

One way of finding the correct subwoofer position is to keep the subwoofer where you sit and play a bass centric song. Then walk several steps in all direction from the subwoofer and mark the spot where you can hear tight
Deep bass response free from boom and exaggeration. Mark the spot and put your subwoofer there.

With your placement I have a feeling you are hearing bass much sooner than other dialogues and music.

Last edited by bigron : 25th January 2021 at 19:40.
Old 25th January 2021, 20:28   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Actually hearing the rumbles separately is not a good thing at all. The subwoofer ideally needs to disappear into the room and you should not be able to place it when sitting in your sweet spot.
Thats actually typical behaviour of these small wireless systems made of plastic. A quality component stereo ssytem is any day better than such hyped 'surround' systems which make artificial sounds combined with single tone boomy bass which look good for first few days.

Adding heavy sound acoustics in the room may add some relief but still can't match the quality of a conventional components system.

Most Viewed