Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 16:10   #3571
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,030
Thanked: 7,214 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Can any of the gurus help please?

I have an ancient 2003 Sony CMT-NEZ30 Audio Micro System with CD Player, Cassette Deck, and AM/FM Tuner but have misplaced the remote.

I was intending to use it with AUX IN to play my iPod Touch etc., but I'm unable to change the source to AUX in. There does not seem to be any way to do it through the menus or buttons, and the remote is essential. Any thoughts please? I'm loathe to buy the many 'generic remotes' as there is no guarantee they will work for such an old model.

(https://www.amazon.in/Sony-CMT-NEZ30.../dp/B000EH4Y3S)

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th July 2021 at 16:12.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 20th September 2021, 20:38   #3572
BHPian
 
IP_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Dallas (USA)
Posts: 154
Thanked: 319 Times
Default What is your experience of up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers?

I need to take decision between ceiling mounted down firing speaker (which is difficult and not safe also but very effective) v/s up firing speaker (very easy just place on L/R speakers) that sits on the L/R tower speaker. .

I read on various forum that sound coming from Atmos height speaker is so weak that some people do not make out difference that up firing speaker makes.

Hence, I want to ask what is your experience with Atmos up firing speaker?
IP_Man is offline  
Old 20th September 2021, 21:09   #3573
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 416
Thanked: 2,378 Times
Default Re: What is your experience of up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
I need to take decision between ceiling mounted down firing speaker (which is difficult and not safe also but very effective) v/s up firing speaker (very easy just place on L/R speakers) that sits on the L/R tower speaker. .

I read on various forum that sound coming from Atmos height speaker is so weak that some people do not make out difference that up firing speaker makes.

Hence, I want to ask what is your experience with Atmos up firing speaker?
Its the other way in general, speakers pointing at you will always create a better experience than something that will bounce of the wall.

I am using small Micca Covo S speakers as Atmos which cost 4k and I am satisfied with the results. https://amzn.to/3lBAlxs

I even play Dolby Atmos music from TIDAL, and you can make a difference if calibrated properly. Would advice go for speakers on the ceiling.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:16   #3574
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 416
Thanked: 2,378 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

To all Audiophiles who love listening music, I have created a Android Based Streamer with a DAC which outputs extremely dynamic music to my ears.
This experiment started due to Apple introducing Lossless and Hi-Res music at a very affordable cost.
Can do upto 24bit 192khz on Apple Music and Tidal can do upto 96khz. But all depends how the songs where mixed.

People who own a DAC already, even they can have this done. I am working on one such project for a friend, waiting for his Topping DX7 DAC to arrive. Cost for it will be lesser.

Cost for this streamer was:
Rpi 4 4gb: 4-4.5k
IQ Audio DAC Pro: 1.8k
Capacitive 5inch display: 2.7k



Installed Apple Music & Tidal, enjoying the way it sounds.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:01   #3575
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 314
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
To all Audiophiles who love listening music, I have created a Android Based Streamer with a DAC which outputs extremely dynamic music to my ears.
This experiment started due to Apple introducing Lossless and Hi-Res music at a very affordable cost.
Can do upto 24bit 192khz on Apple Music and Tidal can do upto 96khz. But all depends how the songs where mixed.
..
Installed Apple Music & Tidal, enjoying the way it sounds.
Cool! Congratulations!!
You can add rotary encoders with volume and media control if you want to give it a feel of standalone music player.

I'm using Volumio along with stock Rpi touch screen. Works seamlessly [I listen to lossy Spotify/Tune-in and High Res local media].

somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:39   #3576
BHPian
 
IP_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Dallas (USA)
Posts: 154
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: What is your experience of up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Its the other way in general, speakers pointing at you will always create a better experience than something that will bounce of the wall.

I am using small Micca Covo S speakers as Atmos which cost 4k and I am satisfied with the results. https://amzn.to/3lBAlxs

I even play Dolby Atmos music from TIDAL, and you can make a difference if calibrated properly. Would advice go for speakers on the ceiling.
Thanks. What a great find! Proper two way design at 4K is steal.

Downside is no mounting arrangement. Can you pl. illustrate, how you mounted them on the ceiling?
IP_Man is offline  
Old 20th September 2021, 22:47   #3577
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 416
Thanked: 2,378 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Cool! Congratulations!!
You can add rotary encoders with volume and media control if you want to give it a feel of standalone music player.

I'm using Volumio along with stock Rpi touch screen. Works seamlessly [I listen to lossy Spotify/Tune-in and High Res local media].

https://Youtu.be/vn6W26JXUt4
Yes, this what 90% people do. But I am more into streaming than local files. Volumio is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Thanks. What a great find! Proper two way design at 4K is steal.

Downside is no mounting arrangement. Can you pl. illustrate, how you mounted them on the ceiling?
I am using these mounts. They are very sturdy and can take good weight. I do have spare at home and not using it for rear surrounds, can give you if you are from Mumbai.

https://amzn.to/3hMjcQn

Speakers do have mounting points. These are very old pictures, have changed all speakers but retained Miccas.
The height channels are Miccas
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-img_20200628_115031.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-img_20200628_113540.jpg  


Last edited by Eddy : 21st September 2021 at 00:02. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
amrutmhatre90 is offline  
Old 20th September 2021, 23:44   #3578
BHPian
 
IP_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Dallas (USA)
Posts: 154
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: What is your experience of up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Speakers do have mounting points.
I'm bit confused. Pl. ref back plate pic of the speaker. I didn't find threaded socket hole for the mounting.
Attached Images
 
IP_Man is offline  
Old 20th September 2021, 23:55   #3579
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 416
Thanked: 2,378 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
I'm bit confused. Pl. ref back plate pic of the speaker. I didn't find threaded socket hole for the mounting.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/165262.jpg

This is how the back is on my Micca's, above image maybe a ad concept.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:22   #3580
BHPian
 
IP_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Dallas (USA)
Posts: 154
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Making BD player region free

I purchased BD player in Middle East. Some original tittles are not working in India esp. Hollywood movies due to region restrictions.

Following is a link to make it region free. It worked for me.

http://guevarajf.blogspot.com/2013/10/about-bluray.html
IP_Man is offline  
Old 27th September 2021, 23:04   #3581
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 363
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Is there an HDMI > HDMI + Audio out jack available ?

My objective
To connect a Fire TV Stick into a Monitor that does not have speakers.
So I would need some kind of splitter that provides an audio out jack , so that I can connect a pair of speakers to the Audio out jack.

Note: The monitor has HDMI inputs.

Ps: I have seen similar HDMI > VGA + Audio jack devices. but I am looking for an HDMI> HDMI one.

Edit : Just found One , but looking for cheaper options

Last edited by Fillmore : 27th September 2021 at 23:08.
Fillmore is online now  
Old 28th September 2021, 02:05   #3582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 203
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Is there an HDMI > HDMI + Audio out jack available ?

My objective
To connect a Fire TV Stick into a Monitor that does not have speakers.
So I would need some kind of splitter that provides an audio out jack , so that I can connect a pair of speakers to the Audio out jack.

Note: The monitor has HDMI inputs.

Ps: I have seen similar HDMI > VGA + Audio jack devices. but I am looking for an HDMI> HDMI one.

Edit : Just found One , but looking for cheaper options
You can try this one - AmazonBasics 4K HDMI to HDMI and Audio (RCA Stereo or Spdif) Extractor Converter (Supports Apple TV, Fire TV and Blue-Ray Players) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KRWYN4R/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks