Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 09:14   #391
Senior - BHPian

My new home theater... okay the audio part of it :P

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th August 2007 at 09:17.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:09   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman View Post
BTW.
My final choices are
1. Marantz Sr 4001 @ 32k and Wharfedale 9hcp ( with SW150) @ 34k(approx)
2. Marantz Sr 4001 @32k and Definitive Technologies Pro Cinema 800 @47k(approx.)
3. Marantx Sr 4001 @32k and Acoustic Energy Aego T @70k

Also how is Yamaha 661 that all wharfedale dealors swear by here?

BTW, Heard an amusing and mischeivious quote by dealors of the higher end of the hi end hi-fi speakers. the quote is " oh, Wharfedale; that is the Ahuja Speakers of the UK"
Hi islandman,

While you're considering the above combo you can also add Monitor Audio BR5 floor standing speakers, I will urge you to look for & demo MA BR5 speakers..Absolutely rocking speakers for about INR 33-35K..absolute value for money..& they are very good. In the end trust your ear & not what the dealers have to say..Try to listen the various combo you have shortlisted with your kind of music (& also try some demo music to figure out the depth) & then decide. Happy hunting!
Old 17th August 2007, 17:40   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Hi islandman,

While you're considering the above combo you can also add Monitor Audio BR5 floor standing speakers, I will urge you to look for & demo MA BR5 speakers..Absolutely rocking speakers for about INR 33-35K..absolute value for money..& they are very good. In the end trust your ear & not what the dealers have to say..Try to listen the various combo you have shortlisted with your kind of music (& also try some demo music to figure out the depth) & then decide. Happy hunting!
Thanks. I have already arranged an audition of MS speakers later in the evening today. I am not too keen on Floor standers due to space constraints. I'll have a look at the Genie sats and the avant series of bookshelfs.
Old 17th August 2007, 18:10   #394
Senior - BHPian

^^Check the Monitor Audio BR2.... they are just incredible for the price. Mordaunt Short is just average, nothinh special. Genies aren't that great either.
Old 17th August 2007, 20:35   #395
BHPian

Who is the monitor audio dealor in Bangalore? ARN Systems. if so they are impossible. I have called this guy called Javed and he does not bother to call back . Any other dealor?

BTW, I was only impressed by Genie's at thier price point 40000(approx).
Thier floor standers were so so. Any idea about the integrity of thier Dealor Balaji. He promised me the moon in terms of setup,tuning and warranty.

Do throw in some comments guys. Buying this weekend or the next at the max.

Last edited by islandman : 17th August 2007 at 20:38.
Old 18th August 2007, 12:36   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Who is the monitor audio dealor in Bangalore? ARN Systems. if so they are impossible. I have called this guy called Javed and he does not bother to call back . Any other dealor?

Thier floor standers were so so. Any idea about the integrity of thier Dealor Balaji. He promised me the moon in terms of setup,tuning and warranty.

islandman,

Genie is no great shakes IMHO,definitely not worth 40000. I have extensively demoed Mordaunt Short speakers (the entire range) as I know someone who works for the Indian company representing the brand in India (Pro Acoustics, New Delhi)..Look for Avant range in the compact speakers category over Genie..Its better. In case you decide on MS let me know/pm me, may be I will be to get you a better price. I do not know the dealer but I can talk to the company guy & let you know if you so desire..

One thing I would like to tell you is that Marantz AVR & MS speakers are well mated,due to belonging to the same ownership..so thats an advantage. And yes, there are better speakers than MS for sure. You have shortlisted some of them already. Do remember to invest in good cables,interconnects & speaker stands to make the whole set up work well for you.

Last edited by AshOnTheRocks : 18th August 2007 at 12:40.
Old 19th August 2007, 09:55   #397
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Ash
I did see the Avant bookshelves. Its just that they did not have any wall fitment option in them. I have a 3yr old who causes a lot of damage and I fear placing speakers on stands on that account.

Ash, Maybe I am wrong with regards to the wall mounting. Do correct me if you think they can be wall mounted without any loss to sonic qualities.

At the moment, I am getting throughly confused. It was Wharfedale 9hcp all the way till last week. Now after an auditions of KEF. I liked thier 3005 and 5005 sats too.

I am now waiting for an audition of the following:

1. def tec pro cinema 800 audition this wednesday.
2. Polk Rti 4 bookshelves ( wall mountable)with thier fxi dipoles for sorrounds.

With regards to the genie, I thought they were musical for thier size but it could have also been the amp. They auditioned it with sr6001 or 7500.

Finally there is a question of service and customer support after the purchase. My friends tell me pro-fx(kef, polk, denon delors) is the most trustable of all the dealor/distributors. This is an area which I am very concerned, b'cos just imagine if anything happens to the amp/speakers and if the dealor/distributors dont care.

Anyways,If I decide by next week to go with pro-fxThen I would pay them an advance and home audition the polks rti and kef 3005a and decide between the two.

Last edited by islandman : 19th August 2007 at 10:00.
Old 26th August 2007, 15:32   #398
BHPian

HI Guys
Finally bought my HT or at least a part of it!!!!

AV Reciever: Denon 2307
Speakers: A pair of KEF IQ5 speakers. (Floorstanders)

Will buy a KEF Centre and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 DFS rears and a Wharefadale 150 SW Sub at some later stage.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:17   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI Guys
Finally bought my HT or at least a part of it!!!!

AV Reciever: Denon 2307
Speakers: A pair of KEF IQ5 speakers. (Floorstanders)

Will buy a KEF Centre and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 DFS rears and a Wharefadale 150 SW Sub at some later stage.
Good decision. Denon receivers are great. How much you shelled out for the receiver and speakers?
Old 27th August 2007, 09:28   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Good decision. Denon receivers are great. How much you shelled out for the receiver and speakers?
With a QED optical cable (1m) and QED silver anniversary speaker cables (5m) a total of 77k.
Old 1st October 2007, 16:44   #401
Senior - BHPian

Audio Gurus,

Croma is offering Pioneer VSX 416 A/V Receiver and JBL SCS 140BK (5.1) speakers for 25k. (Cables/connectors etc. will be extra)

Is this a good deal? What are your views on the JBL speakers and the Pioneer receiver? It sounded quite nice (crisp and punchy) while viewing some of their movie clips. They sounded better than Yamaha NSP116 speakers along with HTR 5940 receiver.

Welcome to Croma - A TATA Enterprise - Home
Old 12th October 2007, 08:05   #402
BHPian

Smooth (er) front speakers please

Hi folks,

I am going to Kolkata tomorrow and thought I could audition some speakers to use for my front speakers.

I presently have 3 speakers (two front - Polk RTi4s and One Center - Polk CSi3 ) and a Polk PSW404 sub - all this paired with a Denon 1707 amp. I am planning to move the RTi4s as surrounds and get a pair of new front speakers.

I sometimes find the RTi4s a tad bright and was looking for something smoother and a little laid back? Any suggestions?
Old 12th October 2007, 09:29   #403
BHPian

Denon AVR1907

KEF iQ7 fronts

Sharp LC-37PX5M

Planning to add mid and rears from same family, but in no hurry
Old 12th October 2007, 13:46   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
was looking for something smoother and a little laid back? Any suggestions?
Monitor 60s? Whats ur budget?

Paradigms at Japonica - pretty laid back IMO. But then the reason I felt so, could be since the other range they stock are Klipsch. And those Klipsch horns ARE bright.
Old 12th October 2007, 14:17   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Monitor 60s? Whats ur budget?
- Anywhere from 15K to 40K. Is Japonica open on Sundays by any chance?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks