Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 16:39   #466
Senior - BHPian

MY HT Setup

Yamaha RX V661 7.1 receiver
Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 fronts - biamped.
Wharfedale Diamond CC center
Wharfedale Diamond WH2 Rear Surrounds.
Wharfedale SW150 Sub.
Sony 29" DRC TV.
Phillips DVD to play all the video library discs :-)

I have a relatively small listening area, and our listening is around Carnatic Classical - Veena, Vocals, some contemporary - AR Rehmans. and 80' 90's rock.

The speakers do good justice in both roles - Audio and HT.

for carnatic music, the pure direct mode is the most preferred.
for TV - DTS Neo 6 does a good job.

Test discs used:

Taal - track 5
MS SubbaLakshmi and Jagjit Singh - Vocals.
Blue Man Group
Behind Enemy lines - DVD and HT
Dolby Digital 5.1 demo CD with other movie clips. found this on e-bay.

Calibration: Have tried both Manual calibration as well as the YPAO with similar results. Am happy with Both.

The entire setup costed 85K including free cabling.

Auditioned : Jamo, Acoustic Energy, Sony, Wharfedale, KEF, Polk Audio...

Buying experience was the best with Wharfedale ( Decibels - Gem Plaza ) showroom. They seem to know their stuff and had the patience to let me audition the Diamond series atleast thrice before i made my decision.
Old 28th April 2008, 18:43   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 fronts - biamped.
Wharfedale Diamond CC center
Wharfedale Diamond WH2 Rear Surrounds.
Wharfedale SW150 Sub.
Would you be able to provide the approx prices of the Wharfedales?
Old 28th April 2008, 22:02   #468
BHPian

that's quite an elaborate set up. @smsrini can you tell more about the prices ?
Old 28th April 2008, 23:16   #469
BHPian

my first set up

The Home Theater thread-dsc01334.jpg

currently having this one Sony HTDDW600(6.2)

The Home Theater thread-dsc01535.jpg
Old 29th April 2008, 14:00   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
that's quite an elaborate set up. @smsrini can you tell more about the prices ?
Approximately 50k for the Speakers and 35k for the receiver.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:29   #471
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion everybody.

No idea why but my ear agreed upon Onkyo Prime Time Package. Just booked it

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

I hope nobody here comes up with this saying that this is a bad set. Fingers crossed. When I finally rounded up on Onkyo it took me about 2 hrs to finalize on the set. I was a little confused between the Amazer package and Prime Time. But after listening to a HUGE list of DVDs with various sound types I was all convinced
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:20   #472
BHPian

How much is it costing you?
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:05   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidurm View Post
How much is it costing you?
I was offered Mini Prime time which is with receiver TX-SR304 instead of TX-SR505 as my listening area (sitting area) is just 12X11. This was suggested by Onkyo Team in Kolkata. To reconfirm I did speak with other Onkyo dealers also like the ones in Chennai and Bangalore and they suggested the same

As for the price, till 30th May this package with TX-SR304 was 45K and the one with TX-SR505 was 50K. Normally as per the salesman the package sells at 69K.
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:13   #474
BHPian

I am planning to setup an HT and frankly i'm a technical novice in this field . the room size is 22x13 and my budget is around 25-30k excluding tv (can be reduced though ).
please guide me setup a good one with surround sound.
Old 5th May 2008, 19:28   #475
BHPian

Bakiya,

I hope you won't take offence at my saying this, especially given the obvious hard work that has gone into your set up, but that is a VERY poor way to arrange your speakers. in fact, it is about the worst I have ever seen.

1. the tweeter height of the left, right and center speakers should be approximately equal. It cannot be (unless you have an acoustically transparent front projection screen) but the idea is still to get it as close as possible. this is usually done by mounting the center speaker directly above the screen, or in the case of very large screens (80 inches or greater), directly below the screen. Your set up with the center speaker way below the screen, FAR out of line with the L/R tweeters is a VERY poor location from a sound quality perspective. The problem is made worse by the shelf that overhangs the top of the center speaker.

The center speaker should be sitting ON the shelf directly below the TV (approx where your game console controller is seen in the picture).

Additionally, your L/R main speakers have their tweeter FAR above ear level. If you were going to use this shelf, you should have bought speakers that were less tall (perhaps bookshelf speakers), that would have put the tweeter at about ear level of a seated person (3 to 4 feet off the ground).

Further, the subwoofers should be on the floor, in the corners, to gain corner reinforcement. That is if you are running them in stereo. If they are running in Mono, then they should be distributed into the room (perhaps one in the front left corner and one along middle of the right side wall). Two mono subwoofers are best used to place smooth out the bass. Every room has a unique standing wave pattern that causes excessive bass reinforcement at some frequencies and excessive cancellation at others. two mono subwoofers strategically placed can even out this behaviour (4 are even better), to reduce the boomy overemphasis in some frequencies and the overly cancelled thin-ness at other frequencies.

I really regret making this post because I am sure you will not be happy with me and since you have already spent the money and done the construction you are not in a position to just change things.

But I don't think I do your or any other members on this board any favors by not talking about the correct way to do things.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:24   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Bakiya,

I hope you won't take offence at my saying this, especially given the obvious hard work that has gone into your set up, but that is a VERY poor way to arrange your speakers. in fact, it is about the worst I have ever seen.

1. the tweeter height of the left, right and center speakers should be approximately equal. It cannot be (unless you have an acoustically transparent front projection screen) but the idea is still to get it as close as possible. this is usually done by mounting the center speaker directly above the screen, or in the case of very large screens (80 inches or greater), directly below the screen. Your set up with the center speaker way below the screen, FAR out of line with the L/R tweeters is a VERY poor location from a sound quality perspective. The problem is made worse by the shelf that overhangs the top of the center speaker.

The center speaker should be sitting ON the shelf directly below the TV (approx where your game console controller is seen in the picture).

Additionally, your L/R main speakers have their tweeter FAR above ear level. If you were going to use this shelf, you should have bought speakers that were less tall (perhaps bookshelf speakers), that would have put the tweeter at about ear level of a seated person (3 to 4 feet off the ground).

Further, the subwoofers should be on the floor, in the corners, to gain corner reinforcement. That is if you are running them in stereo. If they are running in Mono, then they should be distributed into the room (perhaps one in the front left corner and one along middle of the right side wall). Two mono subwoofers are best used to place smooth out the bass. Every room has a unique standing wave pattern that causes excessive bass reinforcement at some frequencies and excessive cancellation at others. two mono subwoofers strategically placed can even out this behaviour (4 are even better), to reduce the boomy overemphasis in some frequencies and the overly cancelled thin-ness at other frequencies.

I really regret making this post because I am sure you will not be happy with me and since you have already spent the money and done the construction you are not in a position to just change things.

But I don't think I do your or any other members on this board any favors by not talking about the correct way to do things.

Don't worry about it is just a temporary set up for few months i am going to move the speakers in to the basement and waiting for the projector to arrive from UK will post the pics soon.
Old 27th May 2008, 17:49   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats a good budget 5.1 home theater system between Rs.15,000-20,000?

The only decent one i have found is: DAV-DZ270 : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Is the sony worth it or do i have better options? Its going to be for my bedroom so dont need something tooo loud.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:37   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

The only decent one i have found is: DAV-DZ270 : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Is the sony worth it or do i have better options? Its going to be for my bedroom so dont need something tooo loud.
Depends on what you intend to use if for - music or movies. If music only then a better component / midi system would be good. check onkyo / philips.

If movies then probably the Sony is a good bet. There are other HT packages from onkyo for about 35k.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:02   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats a good budget 5.1 home theater system between Rs.15,000-20,000? The only decent one i have found is: DAV-DZ270 : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Sony is good. Cost wise it is not very expensive and the sound is very clear and crisp. VFM i would say.

I have the Sony DAV-DZ 520K and is a worthwhile investment. The after sales service is also good. I got the unit serviced under warranty and the response time was prompt.

If you get an Onkyo in the same price range (for the same power output) go for it.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th May 2008 at 19:05.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:42   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have you looked at this one : DHC-AZ55D : Mini : Hi-Fi System : Sony India

It has USB port so easy to hook up with MP3 collections.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks