Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 10:01   #556
BHPian

JBL + Harman Kardon

hey folks any advice on JBL ES80 or ES90 (floor standing) to be run with Harman Kardon HK 3380 a 2 channel amp since i am not a movie buff and i dont want a 5 channel amp.
The reviews say that JBLs are good for floor standing BTW i had auditioned the E60 and was quite impressed!!
Anyone who's using these speakers or has auditioned them??
Old 25th July 2008, 10:45   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thats very strange. I have had the RV7 for over 4 years now and my house in del had a penchant for accumulating lotts of dust so much so that the system always had a layer of dust on it. My fav way of cleaning the dust from the speakers was to play it on full volume every few days .It has also survived 3 relocations del -blr, blr- del, del - blr. But It still performs like the way it used to. Havent spent a single penny on it till now.
This is completely OT but I shall reply. Our home is clean and kept that way regularly. I bought RV7 at 27K in 5/2003. We play a lot of soft devotional and classical music, and music is on for 5-6 hrs/day. First time lens replacement in 12/2003 for free under warranty. Second time in late-2004 with payment. Subsequently, forgotten how many times got replaced either the entire lens or some motor, simply because the CD skipped or read `no disc' or whatever. All original music CDs.
Old 25th July 2008, 10:48   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
chaos you're being too mean. Let the poor guy be happy with his audio setup.

Besides , what if he is unable to discern the difference
I hope with your excellent knowledge, you must start a company compared to Bose.

Well, if you have read my post properly, I am not saying that those AV receivers have bad quality. It is certain having an edge over Hi-Fi system, but difference is not that significant.

I also one more experience with my Cowon A3 PMP (You can read review, it stands better than Apple IPod). I ordered Sennheiser Px200 headphone for my PMP. As per their claim about difference in sound quality was very minimal with respect to OEM headphones and according to Sennheiser's claim.

Also, if we continue with this topic the debate will be endless and you can see in Objectivist vs. Subjectivist debate.
Old 7th August 2008, 10:33   #559
BHPian

Hi all,
I am considering buying a HT system which would consist of an AV receiver and a 5.1 speaker package. My budget is 40-45K. I would be using it mostly for watching Hindi movie DVDs.
I have shortlisted Denon for AV receiver. Marantz is little hard to find in Navi Mumbai area, and I am also not sure about it's after sales service. But What Hi-Fi mag is as always very gung-ho on Onkyo receivers. Now my confusion is that:
1. Is Denon really better in terms of SQ than Onkyo, keeping in mind the type of content that I would be using it for (i.e. Hindi movies, and Hindi Music, occassional english)?
2. Is it OK to go in for non-HDMI model (like Denon 1507), since it would be connected to an HD ready 32" LCD, and in any case, I do not expect lots of Hi Def Blue Ray format Hindi movies over the next few years. Even the entry level HDMI models like Denon 1508 seem to have HDMI passthrough and not processing.
Old 10th August 2008, 10:55   #560
BHPian

Apt Speakers for Onkyo HTR-320

I have a Onkyo HTR-320 100W X 6 RMS, 5.1 channel Receiver and 5.1 Onkyo speaker system that came with it. I find the speakers not too good for music listening pleasure.

I have 2 options.
1. Bose Acoustimass 5 (2 small cube speakers + Bass Box) ~ 20K
2. Sonodyne Sonus 2601 (2 floor standing 3 way speakers) ~ 20K

Any other options that i may have? Audio Gurus please advice.

P.S. I also want to sell-off the 5.1 Onkyo speaker system
Old 10th August 2008, 11:18   #561
BHPian

Go for the Sonodyne Sonus 2605.
The floor standing 3 way speakers are quite good for music. I have them.
Also have a Sonodyne sub.

Perhaps you can retain the onkyo Centre and rear surround speakers.
Cause rear surround usage is very minimal during some movies.

Last edited by Fillmore : 10th August 2008 at 11:34.
Old 10th August 2008, 11:21   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Go for the Sonodyne Sonus 2601.

Perhaps you can retain the onkyo Centre and rear surround speakers.
Cause rear surround usage is very minimal during some movies.
I apologize i meant Sonus 2605
Home Audio > Genie Series
Old 10th August 2008, 11:54   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hi all,
I am considering buying a HT system which would consist of an AV receiver and a 5.1 speaker package. My budget is 40-45K. I would be using it mostly for watching Hindi movie DVDs.......
My 2cents....

1. Is Denon really better in terms of SQ than Onkyo, keeping in mind the type of content that I would be using it for (i.e. Hindi movies, and Hindi Music, occassional english)?

A.The final outcome of the sound quality depends on the sound recording quality of the media + DVD Player + Amp + Speakers + Cables, all combined.
Since you've decided on Denon, I assume the AVR would be around 20k+.. this leaves you around 20 - 25k for all the 5.1 speakers which might be a little less.

With these speakers, Onkyo or Denon AVR would not make any difference

2. Is it OK to go in for non-HDMI model (like Denon 1507), since it would be connected to an HD ready 32" LCD, and in any case, I do not expect lots of Hi Def Blue Ray format Hindi movies over the next few years. Even the entry level HDMI models like Denon 1508 seem to have HDMI passthrough and not processing.

A.The Industry is driving towards HDMI. However if your Denon model does not support HDMI I would say it does not matter at all.
Why because, HDMI is more inclined towards Video transmission and you can still have HDMI from your DVD player to your TV directly for the video.
For the Audio part Optial or Digital Co-axial are still the best. Whichever you choose get a good quality one with good shielding and you will have excellent sound.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:29   #564
BHPian

Thanks Fillmore.
I'm not hellbent on any particular brand of AVR...but denon just looks better on paper, hence the choice. And I agree with all that you have said. And one more question: Is it true that "component" supports HD signal?
And now comes the next question as per logical sequence: What DVD player? I presently own a run-of-the-mill mass market model DVD costing 2.5K. I plan to upgrade, with a budget of not more than 10K.
Also, how are Yamaha AVRs. I found that one of their newer models V463 (costing 25K) has Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs which i understand are supposed to be present only in high-end models.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:48   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Go for the Sonodyne Sonus 2605.
What amplifier do you use to drive them Sonus speakers?
Old 11th August 2008, 11:54   #566
BHPian

I have decided to upgrade my AVR from Denon 1507 to Marantz SR5002. Have already ordered it online today for a terrific $498 from 6ave.com (discounted using coupon codes). They will deliver it to my colleague in US. I will pick it up during my next trip this month end.

I had listened to it while I was there last, and boy it does make a big difference! Speakers will remain the same for sometime, Wharfdale 9.1... And my one year old 1507 will be on sale soon...

Last edited by appuchan : 11th August 2008 at 11:58.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:27   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Thanks Fillmore.
I'm not hellbent on any particular brand of AVR...but denon just looks better on paper, hence the choice. And I agree with all that you have said. And one more question: Is it true that "component" supports HD signal?
And now comes the next question as per logical sequence: What DVD player? I presently own a run-of-the-mill mass market model DVD costing 2.5K. I plan to upgrade, with a budget of not more than 10K.
Also, how are Yamaha AVRs. I found that one of their newer models V463 (costing 25K) has Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs which i understand are supposed to be present only in high-end models.
Anuragn,
Yes component does support 1080p signal. The only difference being that the DVD player will do an analogue conversion and send it to the TV.

I just have a 720p/1080i LCD , and found no difference in image quality between HDMI and component

Regarding the DVD player just get one which has good up-scaling,(perhaps you can post/search on the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...+player+thread thread) You might also want to pick a model that supports a USB plugin.

Not very sure about the Yamaha AVR, so no comments.

shuvac,
I use an onkyo TXSR503 to drive the Sonus speakers. Its 7.1 but i have only a 5.1 setup.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:05   #568
Senior - BHPian

Got a Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amp for a song for my bedroom setup with a desktop and a pair of Jamo E700 bookshelves. Its a Class A 20 watter. I can't believe how good this little amp sounds. Sure it does get a little hot but the sound quality is so good I have an eerie feeling this might end up going into my main hall setup.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:30   #569
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any feedback on Sonodyne Sonus 2605s? How are the surround and center speakers from this series?
I'm looking at a decent-ish AVR as well. Within 35k. Any suggestions?
Old 12th August 2008, 15:42   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Guys, any feedback on Sonodyne Sonus 2605s? How are the surround and center speakers from this series?
I'm looking at a decent-ish AVR as well. Within 35k. Any suggestions?
O i have those! The floor standing speakers give awesome clarity for music listening. But i guess you are looking at them from HT point of view. Well, i have their complete set, with sub and all and i dont have any complaints so far. The experience has been simply superb.
I am using a Denon AVR (one of the basic ones only). Seems to go pretty well. You might want to make sure that the AVR you buy with these Sonus speakers has bi-amping.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks