Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:30   #781
Senior - BHPian

only for audio. not for upscaling videos. this is not a fresh piece. i am unable to find any info/reviews on the net regarding this unit.
Old 3rd November 2009, 06:09   #782
Team-BHP Support

If its only for audio it should be fine. I have a AVR130 and specs looks pretty much the same. Hence I could not see, when it was released. Also need to double confirm if it was released for India (read 240V/50Hz). It looks like that in the ratings provided in the user manual.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2009 at 06:11.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:30   #783
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the heads up! before it is powered up i shall check the same. will post photos once i get my hands on it.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:42   #784
Senior - BHPian

For those who want some idea setting one up
Slideshow : Professional Home Theater Designs: Best of '09 : HGTVPro.com
Old 24th December 2009, 14:12   #785
Senior - BHPian

Harman Kardon/JBL Combo

Hello folks,
I have a Harman Kardon AVR245 that I have hooked up with JBL speakers.
Fronts: JBL Floor standing E90 series
Center: JBL EC35
Surrounds: JBL E10
Woofer: JBL E250P

I use only 2 channels for music and only turn on all the five channels while watching movies.
Review of my setup can be found here: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi..._e10_e250p.htm

Is it possible to install an equalizer to my set up?

cheers,
Hiren

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 24th December 2009 at 14:14.
Old 28th December 2009, 00:16   #786
BHPian

Hey people, I have stock sony DAV-DZ 370 home theater system coupled with 32" samsung 4 series lcd, it's fairly good for music and great for movies. Does't have equalizers though, it has lots of other settings.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:13   #787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello folks,
I have a Harman Kardon AVR245 that I have hooked up with JBL speakers.
Fronts: JBL Floor standing E90 series
Center: JBL EC35
Surrounds: JBL E10
Woofer: JBL E250P

I use only 2 channels for music and only turn on all the five channels while watching movies.
Review of my setup can be found here: Home Theater & Sound Equipment Review -- JBL Northridge E90/E35/E10/E250P Home-Theater Speaker System (10/2005)

Is it possible to install an equalizer to my set up?

cheers,
Hiren
With that set up I never felt I will need an equalizer .

I have a some what similar setup, though lower in spec. AVR130, JBL Northridge for L/R, Bose VCS10 for center (chose this because EC35 could not fit in my cabinet) , Bose 201 for SL/SR and Sonodyne Roar series for Sub.
Old 1st January 2010, 17:33   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
With that set up I never felt I will need an equalizer .

I have a some what similar setup, though lower in spec. AVR130, JBL Northridge for L/R, Bose VCS10 for center (chose this because EC35 could not fit in my cabinet) , Bose 201 for SL/SR and Sonodyne Roar series for Sub.
Apologies for the delayed response, was away in Goa bringing in the new year
Agree, i don't quite need an equaliser but then I have always been fascinated by equalisers and the flexibility they offer, hence the query.

Quite like your system mate! I happened to pick mine from Dubai (for an irresistible price) in 2007 and got it shipped it Bombay.

Saw some equalisers online but they are priced way too much. So as of now I am fine with my system.

cheers and happy new year to one all.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:35   #789
BHPian

guys i am extremly naive to home theatre system and set up.
i have a simple (or rather stupid) query.

right now i am viewing hd movies through my computer connected to my panasonic plasma through a hdmi cable.
my computer is also connected to 4 speakers .the computer also supports an inbuilt sound card.the sound from my speakers is just ok.
my query is;
1)i want to connect my pc to an amplifier and good 5.1 channel speakers.
should i add another sound card for this.
2) i dont want to buy a dvd player since i will only be using pc as player.
3)my budget is 25 to 30k,please suggest an amp and speakers.

thanks once again for going through my post
Old 14th January 2010, 14:42   #790
BHPian

Bose lifestyle 48 dvd ent. sys?

Has somebody looked at the latest home theater offerring from Bose: Lifestyle® 48 DVD Entertainment System? You may see the details in:
Lifestyle 48 DVD Home theatre Systems- Lifestyle surround sound system - Bose Home theatre Systems

I casually walked into the Bose store and happen to see this 5 speaker master piece. Got literally floored by the amazing sound qiality. It even has a harddisk to hold 400hours of song. The price of the complete solution is quite high, about Rs. 2.6 lakhs. Can anybody give any feedback about it?
Old 14th January 2010, 21:38   #791
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
i have a simple (or rather stupid) query.
No query is stupid enough. We all commit silly things, right??

Quote:
right now i am viewing hd movies through my computer connected to my panasonic plasma through a hdmi cable.
my computer is also connected to 4 speakers .the computer also supports an inbuilt sound card.the sound from my speakers is just ok.
This kind of set up is called "HTPC" - home theatre PC.

Quote:
my query is;
Depends. Apparently, you are currently running PC speakers, which have in built amplifiers.

If your card is capable of 5.1 sound output, there is no need for a new sound card just for this purpose. (Hmmm.. or so I think; based on research I have done so far. 5.1 sound output requires 5.1 sound source, right? Or is this "splitting" done by the amplifier??)

Quote:
I do not have any suggestion outright. In fact, I have a query. :-D

I was looking Bose PC speakers, and they do fit my budget. Anybody has any feed back?? Do Bose PC speakers (they do have built in amplifiers like most PC speakers) serve as a good substitute for other HT speakers??
Old 14th January 2010, 22:57   #792
BHPian

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
happy pongal and many thanks for the reply.

If your card is capable of 5.1 sound output
how do you find that out.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:52   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
my query is;
2) i dont want to buy a dvd player since i will only be using pc as player.
Does your sound card have a digital audio out? Optical digitial or Coaxial?

If so you could consider a setup like this, with the Audio out connected to the amp/receiver and the video (hdmi) to the TV.

Onkyo HT-S3105 680W 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver + Speaker Package - Sumaria

If your sound card has only the HDMI out, then you could look at something like this, where the sound card is connected via HDMI to the amp/receiver HDMI in and the amp/receiver HDMI out connected to the TV. The receiver processes the audio signal from the HDMI and passes on the video signal to the TV.

Sony HT-DDW5000 1510W 6.2 Channel A/V Receiver + Speaker package - Sumaria

There should be more similar packages from Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha - I'm not sure of the model numbers available now.

Last edited by shuvc : 15th January 2010 at 09:53.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:52   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Has somebody looked at the latest home theater offerring from Bose: Lifestyle® 48 DVD Entertainment System? You may see the details in:
Lifestyle 48 DVD Home theatre Systems- Lifestyle surround sound system - Bose Home theatre Systems

I casually walked into the Bose store and happen to see this 5 speaker master piece. Got literally floored by the amazing sound qiality. It even has a harddisk to hold 400hours of song. The price of the complete solution is quite high, about Rs. 2.6 lakhs. Can anybody give any feedback about it?
Well when you hear the Bose demo you will get floored by the sound. But there are other better sounding systems which you will get at half the price.
Moreover Bose is known for delivering striking sound at the cost of accuracy in sound re-production. For this very reason If you look at audiophile lists , magazines etc.. you will never find Bose rated high anywhere.

If you have a 2L+ budget I'd suggest you audition demo's of other comobo packages and you will find the sound much richer and better.

Some AVR's
Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha , Harman Kardon, Rotel etc..

Some Speakers
Warfdale, KEF, Sonodyne, Pro-FX, Jamo,

Entry level value for money package
Onkyo TX-SR series + Sonodyne

All the best
-Fillmore
Old 15th January 2010, 11:37   #795
BHPian

shuvc
thanks friend.all these terms sounds greek to me.
the back of my pc has three colored jacks-red white and green.a wire is connected from the green to my subwoofer.from my sub other speakers are linked.
question no 1)my pc is connected to tv through a graphics card that has a hdmi out.shall i connect this hdmi cable to a onkyo a/v receiver.from there to tv through another hdmi cable . will this setup sound ok.
2)as suggested shall i buy a sound card with hdmi out and connect it to a/v receiver.what will happen to the "graphic card with hdmi out" which i already have.will it be useless.

put simply-sound card with hdmi out and graphics card with hdmi out,do we need both to view and experiance hd content.
i have stretched my budget to 4ok.please suggest
(ignorance was bliss,now i regret

Most Viewed