Team-BHP - The Home Theater thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Home Theater thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/8056-home-theater-thread-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
Thanks! Any thoughts over,

a) Which HTiB? I would say Sony, but anything better than that?
b) About custom made system, Which AV receiver and which speakers? (In order of your preference)

(Got any nice reference material for reading? )

I used to think Sony (I have a Sony HTiB connected to a Pioneer DVD636 player), but I tried a Yamaha HTib set up and it the sound was way better than my Sony and the others I tried in the shop.

If going down the seperates route I would go for a Yamaha AV amp.

you can get a panasonic mini hi-fi fully blown out at that price if you wanna stay with the market trend.

I will suggest a hi-fi as it is good for listening to music and also plays movies well. you said you are a common music lover hence a good home theatre system will be an overkill.

hence look for a good mini hi-fi from panasonic, sony(aiwa included)

though I was not impressed by the quality of sound in Aiwa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
There is a JBL HTiB called the Xcite. FOr under 20K. WIth a built in amp. As far as I know it's the only serious sound solution in that range. you could take a look at www.fxaudio.com

Just to make it clear, I'm only suggesting it, because it's the only one in a low range (with an amp) and it sounds very decent for the money. Not because it's a JBL lol.

Unfortunately although the sound is good the re,ote is horible. Should be much better at that price.

I would look at Yamaha, JBL and Sonodyn.e I was surprised by the sound from their little genie but i have no idea baout costs besides Anandiya is a wonderful kid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranil
Unfortunately although the sound is good the re,ote is horible. Should be much better at that price.

The what? Remote? oh lol, it's a credit card sized normal remote with all the functions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin
besides Anandiya is a wonderful kid.

Navin, bong names are complicated. It's Anindya (pronounced Anindo) :)

Sorry I mis spelt it and as far as pronouncing names go when i first landed here someone called my mom and i took the call. He told me to tell her a Mr Shaw called. Which I dutifully did. Took her a while to figure out it was Mr. Shah.

YAYA and a bong would call you Nobeen. Nobeen Odd-bally :D

Thank you "Som Ko-Phasi" (does not "Phasi" mean "hang")? :-) LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin
Thank you "Som Ko-Phasi" (does not "Phasi" mean "hang")? :-) LOL

Right you are !

Btw, wouldn't it sound like that if a 45rpm record was played at 33speed ?

Note for myself : Next week, hunt down the dealers of Yamaha, JBL (FxAudio?), Sonodyne in Pune. No idea about Keif.

Thanks guys!

No for hi-fi system, since I can get all that in a home theater and extra. (Am I right?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I wanted to be a good boy and went for the Philips HT at 16000. I felt it fits my bill for movies. Actually it sounded better than it's bigger brother.

Still, you saved lots of money dude. My Yamaha SW315 woofer itself cost me 22K, the Yamaha RX1400 A/V Receiver cost me 42K, rest of the 7 speakers and cables I got from USA for $1000. Then I see somebody being very happy with 16K setup... :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
No for hi-fi system, since I can get all that in a home theater and extra. (Am I right?)

Is it? I'm not too sure about that. I thought a 2 channel system is better when it comes to audio.

My mistake? Lack of knowledge? Audio gurus..please help this old man!!

RX135, Hometheater is no good for listening to music.

It's better you decide before you buy whether your priority is music or movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
Still, you saved lots of money dude. My Yamaha SW315 woofer itself cost me 22K, the Yamaha RX1400 A/V Receiver cost me 42K, rest of the 7 speakers and cables I got from USA for $1000. Then I see somebody being very happy with 16K setup... :p

I had this feeling that a bad acoustic room can bring down the quality of a great home theater. I am not yet there to have a good acoustic media room for myself.

I have a cousin whose Dad is rich enough to afford a huge media room. Poor guy, he bought all the stuff but doesn't understand the diff between Dolby surround and stereo. He watches all the movies in Stereo mode.