Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 17:43   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

You need an HDMI receiver + speakers. Such systems (including speakers) start from 25k.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:45   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You need an HDMI receiver + speakers. Such systems (including speakers) start from 25k.
Thanks a lot. I was just checking out the Yamaha one as posted by some one a few threads ago. is it good? also, any help on my earlier post?

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:58   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Yamaha is a good system (for its price range). It has its own speakers, and can take inputs from TV.

But you can use speakers from existing system as well.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:21   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

Seems my query above is a bit confusing for all.

Anyways, now i have one more doubt.

If i want to invest in a basic HT system which can take input from TATA SKY, PS3, DVD player and connect to my LCD using HDMI, Which system would you all recommend?

What sort of price range am i looking at?

Please advice.

Check out the Onkyo 3300. Its less than 30k and seems to be an excellent product. Also you can use it for whatever you have mentioned above, it has 3 hdmi inputs.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:41   #1295
BANNED

harshal - (hope I decoded your l33t speak correctly)

The speakers you have seem to be powered speakers - with built in amplifiers. They take analog input only and play them (obviously). HDMI cables carry DIGITAL signals, so you may not be able to use them.

I do not know about Tata Sky etc - if they have 5.1 outputs (unlikely), you may be able to use these speakers.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:44   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Check out the Onkyo 3300. Its less than 30k and seems to be an excellent product. Also you can use it for whatever you have mentioned above, it has 3 hdmi inputs.
I agree. We installed it in our house and I can assure you its output is absolutely amazing, provided it is installed properly.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:43   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Infact now its Onkyo HTS 3400. You will get it for 24-25k if you bargain well. HTS 3300 would be available for 22-23k.

HTS 3400 has some improvements over 3300. It caters for 4HDMI inputs.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:35   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good speaker wire that I will be using for my new stereo floor-standers? I want to know the prices and places in Bangalore where I can get them. Not too costly though.

I saw some QED Classic 42 speaker wire for Rs.750 for 10m. Not sure if this is high, if the wire is good quality etc.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:40   #1299
BHPian

i want to buy audio system for my bedroom(size 22*12 feet)help me guys which one is to go for..budget around 25-50k.doesnt matter even if it doesnt play CD/DVD.but USB/FM is must
Old 9th June 2011, 16:21   #1300
BHPian

I'm looking for a compact home theater system in the price range of 10 to 15 k. I would have been satisfied with a 5.1 speaker system if it also included the ability to play dvd and mp3. I must be able to connect multiple systems to it. (Thats the whole point of a home theater you might argue I don't want tall speakers, only small ones that can be hung on the wall. If there is USB support, all the better.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:29   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Between Yamaha YH 294 and Onkyo HTS 3305 - which is better?
Old 9th June 2011, 16:39   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Between Yamaha YH 294 and Onkyo HTS 3305 - which is better?
Never heard that Yahama.

But, I bought a Onkyo HTS-3300 4 months back and i am very pleased with its quality and power output for my 30X20 living room.

Been a Onkyo HTS user for more than 5 years, I would say they give you a bang for your little bucks.

Posted about the same on Feb 16th in this thread.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:58   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Can someone suggest a good speaker wire
I am using DAC speaker wire for my Wharfedale, decent. Picked it from Vectors on Brigade road. Other store I know is ProFX on MG road.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 18:13   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Can someone suggest a good speaker wire that I will be using for my new stereo floor-standers? I want to know the prices and places in Bangalore where I can get them. Not too costly though.

I saw some QED Classic 42 speaker wire for Rs.750 for 10m. Not sure if this is high, if the wire is good quality etc.
QED cables are good. Other brands you can have a look at are monster and chord.

Be sure to check the gauge as per the distance.
Upto 80' : 16
80-200' : 14
>200' : 12
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 17:21   #1305
BHPian

Re: Onkyo vs Yamaha?

I'm sure this post is going to add to the confusion rather than solve your problem , but I have recently heard both the Yamaha and Onkyo packages you speak of. Both have almost equal ratings in terms of rms wattage / AVR specs and the sub. Passive 6-8" powered by the AVR, around 100 RMS.

Frankly, I found both systems a little harsh. The Onkyo performed a little better at movies, with some decent decoding on Dolby Digital II. However, both didn't do justice to music - they didn't sound warm enough, if you know what I mean. A little bright, and accentuated extreme frequencies.

I was quoted roughly 25 k for each. Onkyo was overall a little more appealing than the Yamaha.

I then came across a Harman/Kardon - JBL Combo - their entry level HTiB (Cinesystem 140bk - includes their smallest satellites and an AVR 133) - costs about 20k after discount. Personally, I feel it runs circles around the other two. Small satellites, an 8" active sub - but don't go by the looks or slightly lesser ratings, as I've heard that HK tends to be conservative with ratings as compared to Onkyo/Yamaha. I found the sound more detailed, cleaner and warmer (surprises me that a 2-way plastic enclosure, small enough to fit a palm, with a 2.5" mid bass can sound clean without distortion or muddled up frequencies at such volumes) - but for music, this is definitely the package to go for (at it's price, of course).

The only downside - No HDMI inputs / outputs or switching whatsoever. However, the sales dude was willing to exchange the receiver for the AVR 134 with 3 HDMI switching for about 5 k extra. It will STILL be behind Yamaha / Onkyo on the features, but I liked the sound better, in the same price bracket.

One more point - I was told that all of these entry level AV Receivers with so called HDMI switching will NOT decode multichannel audio from HDMI, and that it will only switch between HDMI inputs and pass the audio through to the display. I will need to use a digital co-ax for the sound anyway. Can one of the experts confirm that this is true? The only reason I was inclined towards the Onkyo was the HDMI - but if this is the case, I would rather go with the JBL's with the non HDMI AVR.

I also auditioned HK's next two speaker packages with the same AVR, but decided that for my small bedroom, the upgrade didn't affect the sound enough to seem worth it.

Now, after all that 'gyaan' (imagine gyaan coming from a noob!), I come to another question for all here - I read on a forum that Designer audio was offering a Yamaha HTR 6030 + Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ for about 26k - has anyone heard these, and is this still available? I have always been a fan of Wharfedale's design, and would love to consider a real system like this rather than any other sub-sat HTiB with tiny plastic satellites. Please do help!

Most Viewed