Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 12:54   #1321
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys, I need a new home theatre with a budget of 2l or so. I'm checking out various options, like mixing and matching etc.

But any suggestions on good 5.1 speaker packages in my budget? Good for music as well a movies.

Thanks.
I wanted to set up a similar system few months back. I came up with the following-

Source -oppo-95
AVR- Onkyo-3008
Speakers- Dali Ikon 5 mk2
cables- DNM

I am very much impressed with both music and movie performance.
Old 27th July 2011, 13:54   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi guys

Sorry to disturb you all again..Please refer to my above request for help from your end. Some interesting developments happened.
|
|
Barath
Barath, There are many more options for you to choose from. First, make a list of your favourite movies/ movie scenes, music and get some original DVDs of the same for you to use during any audition. Second find out which brand of speakers are available in Chennai. There are many more options than just Bose and Yamaha. Check if you have dealers for Mordaunt Short, Wharfedale, Mission audio, Acoustic Energy, JBL. Check with them on the budget for a 5.1 / 2.1 / 7.1 speaker configuration that you are interested in. Decide wether you want floor standing speakers or Bookshelf / cube speakers depending on how much space you have for the HT. Third, shortlist 2 -3 vendors who have speakers in your budget and ask for audition. These vendors will typically have Receivers that are best suited for their speakers. e.g Wharfedale speakers perform well with Yamaha and so on.. Audition the speakers with YOUR DVDs / Music CDs. Play the same movies / music in the same order and find out which SPEAKERS you like. Depending on your taste, and preference you may like either a WARM sound or SHARP sound. Floor standers typically have a woofer, midrange and tweeter, and so are able to reproduce sound more realistically. Bose speakers are tuned to reproduce sounds that are 'commonly' heard and recognized so may not be able to reproduce the range of frequency that a floor stander may. They sound great to an untrained ear, and are aesthetically great! Finally it is an individual choice what speakers he/she will like and which electronics will enable the speakers to perform. Remember the electronics will get out dated faster than the speakers.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th July 2011 at 13:59. Reason: Pls do not quote a long post, since it hampers readability for our mobile users
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 14:03   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
1. Classical songs from audio cd n mp3
2. Movies at night
A configuration that has:

1. Yamaha's mid-level AVRs
2. Tower Speakers for front
3. Matching satellites

would be able to do both.

Make sure that "Pure Direct" mode is on.

Reason is, Music (specially classical) requires just 3 speakers. Front/left and subwoofer. You need a system which is strong in this area. With "Pure Direct", yamaha will not mess with audio signal and will pay it as-it-is via Front towers. These speakers will receive significant amount of input and that is the reason we need towers that can handle that amount of wattage.

For movies, again leave "Pure Direct" on and signal that is sent from Blu Ray will be sent properly to front + center + surrounds.

Total cost would be in the region of 1 lakh (AVR + towers + sub + satellites).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 14:53   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I'm looking for recommendations for a good Blu Ray player to add to my HT setup. Can you please recommend which ones are good..

I've heard about Oppo ( pricey ), Sony and Samsung. Does Pioneer also have blu ray players in the Indian market ? their website does not say so.

Any other options ?

thanks
Srini
Old 27th July 2011, 15:55   #1325
BHPian

I own Oppo-95. It is worth every penny. Its analog audio performance beats cd player four times it price.

If you are not into audio (I mean stereo performance) oppo-93 would suffice. It has the best up-scaling chip for DVD and SD content.

If Oppo is pricey and you are more into blu rays then Sony BDP-370/80 would do.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:44   #1326
BHPian

Hello Guys,
one of my friend is going to US next month and i am planning to get hometheater system from there. I am confused between Onkyo HT_S3400 and Yamaha YHT-493.
I demoed the Onkyo and it was very good. Planning to have demo of Yamaha during coming weekend.
Meanwhile if you guys can give you opinions.

thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 11:57   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello Guys,
one of my friend is going to US next month and i am planning to get hometheater system from there. I am confused between Onkyo HT_S3400 and Yamaha YHT-493.
I demoed the Onkyo and it was very good. Planning to have demo of Yamaha during coming weekend.
Meanwhile if you guys can give you opinions.

thanks
Yamaha any day IMO sounds better and fuller compared to Onkyo.

Why US if I may ask?

Yamaha India retails at delectable prices, and provides on-site support + installation plus you get warranty. There are also minimal issues regarding power requirements.

I sampled the YHT-292 which retails for about 21k in Mumbai, and it was amazing. Finally settled for a Sonodyne 2.1 though, owing to space etc constraints.

So basically for the same price you pay USD, you will get peace of mind too.

And again, Yams sound and perform a lot better than any other similar spec and priced systems.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:08   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Yamaha any day IMO sounds better and fuller compared to Onkyo.

Why US if I may ask?

Yamaha India retails at delectable prices, and provides on-site support + installation plus you get warranty. There are also minimal issues regarding power requirements.

I sampled the YHT-292 which retails for about 21k in Mumbai, and it was amazing. Finally settled for a Sonodyne 2.1 though, owing to space etc constraints.

And again, Yams sound and perform a lot better than any other similar spec and priced systems.
@mandheers
appreciate your experience sharing. I also consulted with one of my friend at workplace who suggests going for onkyo receiver and yamaha speakers.

will be going to his home for audition as he has more or less similar setup.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 12:34   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Prices in India are almost double of US prices. For example only mid-range AVR available in India is RX-V667. MRP is 40k+. US prices is $599.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:19   #1330
BHPian

Help me choose a Home theater system.

Hi

I want to buy a home theatre for my 15' X 18' living room(not a dedicated room ). Normally liten to music and movies, whenever my son allows me to.

I have listened to and have to choose from the following:

Denon 5.1 1612 with Polk Audio speakers - 76000
Denon 5.1 1612 with Kef speakers - 93000
Onkyo 7.1 with Jamo speakers - 90000
Onkyo 7.1 with Onkyo speakers - 65000 with a free blue ray player.

I am not an expert and I sort of liked them all, My wife wants floor standers(both front speakers) only.

I will make my decision by this month end.

I also have a offer from DNI for
Yamaha 5.1 with Yamaha speakers - 60000
Yamaha 5.1 with JBL speakers - 75000
Yamaha 5.1 with DALI speakers- 120000

I have a flexible budget and its not a worry, but not willing to invest beyond 1 lakh for occasional listening pleasure.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:43   #1331
BANNED

For a start, ponder on this - music listening and HT/movies are different.

Not all receivers / amps can handle both music and movies equally well. Few can.

You need to select good satellite speakers to get good stereo music on a X.1 setup.

I am not yet convinced about need for 7.1 setup.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:15   #1332
BHPian

For HT most important speakers are the center channel and the sub woofer. 70% of the content is delivered through the center channel. So get the best of these two speakers.

Sub woofer can always be mix and matched. No need to get the same brand as other speakers. Good brands are SVS, Velodyne, Rythmik, HSU etc

For music, the source and the left/ right channel are the key components. A dedicated CD player will considerably improve the quality of music. Can't expect a Blu ray player to output good quality stereo output. Look for a good CD player which has a high quality digital to analog converter. Good brands are Audiolab, Musical Fidelity, Oppo etc.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:21   #1333
BHPian

Hi guys,
A friend of mine is on the hunt for the Rx Center (Silver Series) by Monitor Audio. Can someone help me with the pricing in Mumbai and the best place for him to source the same.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th August 2011, 15:33   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
For music, the source and the left/ right channel are the key components. A dedicated CD player will considerably improve the quality of music. Can't expect a Blu ray player to output good quality stereo output. Look for a good CD player which has a high quality digital to analog converter. Good brands are Audiolab, Musical Fidelity, Oppo etc.
Cambridge Audio CA DV99 DVD player stereo output is comparable to entry level dedicated CD players.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 17:19   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Any idea or contact info of people who sells Emotiva Audio: Audiophile Quality Multi Channel Amplifiers, Stereo Preamplifiers, Audio/Video Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems At Direct Prices in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks