Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 06:56   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

They are probably inferior. They probably aren't. I am not going to believe everything on the internet. Of course, my perception about Bose being a superior acoustics brand has changed for the worse. There are many reliable and credible sources who'd confirm the same. But then again, i wouldn't write off Bose completely. If I get a good deal on a Bose system, I'd buy it. And when I say good deal, i mean, REALLY really good deal!
Well said. At the end of the day too, brand power works on human nature just the same way - be it speakers, cars, shoes, or anything else that one buys.

At my entry into the high end audio hobby, Bose was the holy grail. Then, after reading a lot more, it became fashionable to look down one's nose at Bose. As in most cases, the truth lies somewhere in between.

I have found that Bose can be expensive, but can also be very good. And robust enough for the application. My garden speakers are Bose and have worked very well for eight years now through sun and rain in Bangalore and Pune.

For my main audio system, I have other speakers which are more expensive than any Bose speaker system. Good brands too. But for someone with deeper pockets, these too would be inferior. Does that make mine bad? It depends on my point of view and the way my mind works - or allow it to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys,

I am thinking of replacing my Bose AM5 Mk-II vintage stereo speakers with something more contemporary that will suit my Pioneer VSX-LX70 6.1 channel amp. The AM5 served me well for nearly 16 years without blinking even once. Primary use is music not movies, so sound quality is important. I listen mainly to soft rock and Jazz. Neutral/mellow, not bright sound preferred.

Any suggestions? Budget is upto Rs 1 lakh.

Regards,
Check out reviews on the net of the Harbeth P3esr. As long as your room isn't overly large, these are perfect for what you say you listen to, and it could be the last pair you buy.

Two big hurdles - no distribution in India so very little chances to test. And the the time it will take to get Harbeth UK to direct ship to you.

I got my C7s for a largish room, and they are brilliant for jazz/indian classical/acoustic/close miked vocals. I was using Spendor bookshelfs before that, so I had a point of reference, but it was a leap of faith. And it worked very well, thankfully.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 08:16   #1382
Team-BHP Support

Re: The wonderful world of Bose

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Bose is not a bad brand by any measure. They do make quality products. But the price tag they slap on to their products can't be justified. As simple as that. you could get similar equipment for a lot lesser, is what several people say.
Well said Suhaas. The place where Bose scores brownie points, is for an aesthetic design of life style products with smaller area/volume/size.
(Again that is my opinion, as I have yet to come across similar products).

When most folks go for a sound test, they may get "wowed" by the sound quality they get to listen to. But it needs to be noticed that the demo room
is designed for it. Once they install the same product at home, it does not show the desired effect. HT should be designed for the room.
It should not be that one buys what he thinks is best HT and tries to fit it to the room of his/her choice.

But at least of late people are getting educated.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 10:56   #1383
BHPian

Low budget Home theater system?

Guys, Please suggest a home theater system for a budget of 25k.

If possible, with wireless speakers?
Old 17th October 2011, 11:22   #1384
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Fora budget of 25k, check out complete sets from Onkyo / Yamaha. This includes AVR + 5.1 speakers. Cost is from 21k to 26k.

Do you already have a blu-ray/DVD player? If you dont, you will need a player with HDMI output. That is to get full 5.1 sound.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:10   #1385

+1 to Netfreak

But in case wrt Wireless speaker system, if you/someone else is willing to spend upto50k approx to get a speaker system with then In case you want wireless option then CLICK HERE & read about "Violet Speaker System" or can ask for help from others on other topic if you want.

As for VIOLET, would you be surprised when i tell you that the Violet speakers fit into your handing lights enclosures ---->

or your table lamps

Sounds funnny? Not really, the system can configure it self depending on the placement of speakers, which doesnt need to be in a typical setup of 2front x 2back ..and you also DONT need an AVR with this system. You just need a DVD/BD Player and simply plug the output into the VIOLET's Unit. Rest is taken care of by VIOLET on its own. Too much of a convenience at the price offered with a sound quality that can be acceptable to quite a few.

cheers
Old 17th October 2011, 13:26   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Searching for a moderate priced 5.1 channel amplifier to use with my SONY hi-fi speakers. The speakers have burned in well and sound good so I intend to just buy the Amp.

FM, HDMI and USB (v3 possible??) would be nice.

What options do I have?
Old 17th October 2011, 13:44   #1387

Hi,
whats the max budget Dev?
Old 17th October 2011, 13:58   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Re: Low budget Home theater system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Guys, Please suggest a home theater system for a budget of 25k.

If possible, with wireless speakers?
Hey,

We both sailing in same boat. I came across this :

Sony 3D Blu Ray Home Theater BDV-E880

Buy Sony 3D Blu Ray Home Theater BDV-E880 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Good price on Letsbuy and you also get Free HDMI Cable & Moserbaer 51 Movie Pack. This system is priced at about 29,990 in Sony Stores and INR 24,990 on letsbuy. I plan to go have a look at it sometime this week.

Not sure if its wireless. No mention of it also anywhere.

Regards,
Old 17th October 2011, 14:14   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Searching for a moderate priced 5.1 channel amplifier to use with my SONY hi-fi speakers. The speakers have burned in well and sound good so I intend to just buy the Amp.
What is the source? I.e. would you connect 6 different wires for 5.1 channel sound to amplifier? Or does source have Optical/Coax/HDMI output?

That kind of drives the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
We both sailing in same boat. I came across this :

Sony 3D Blu Ray Home Theater BDV-E880
Do audition this + options from Onkyo/Yamaha in 20 - 30k range. I found this system to be lacking in clarity. And it massively over-states wattage. Total weight of receiver itself is less than weight of transformer that would be needed for 1000W output.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 17th October 2011 at 14:19.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:12   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Check out reviews on the net of the Harbeth P3esr. As long as your room isn't overly large, these are perfect for what you say you listen to, and it could be the last pair you buy.

Two big hurdles - no distribution in India so very little chances to test. And the the time it will take to get Harbeth UK to direct ship to you.

I got my C7s for a largish room, and they are brilliant for jazz/indian classical/acoustic/close miked vocals. I was using Spendor bookshelfs before that, so I had a point of reference, but it was a leap of faith. And it worked very well, thankfully.

Thanks Sawyer. I am looking at a multichannel speaker solution now. Been listening to stereo from a surround amp for years and I don't feel to good about it. Any suggestions - I was told B&W make some good surround speakers.
Old 17th October 2011, 21:34   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is the source? I.e. would you connect 6 different wires for 5.1 channel sound to amplifier? Or does source have Optical/Coax/HDMI output?

That kind of drives the options.

Do audition this + options from Onkyo/Yamaha in 20 - 30k range. I found this system to be lacking in clarity. And it massively over-states wattage. Total weight of receiver itself is less than weight of transformer that would be needed for 1000W output.
5 different wires. Also, yet to buy a sub. Can anything from Cadence, Lithos, Audire, lyrita and such fit my budget? Also, what about sonodyne? Their website doesnt show anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trehansid View Post
Hi,
whats the max budget Dev?
Not fixed but I wouldnt spend 15K If my job gets done in 10K.
Old 17th October 2011, 22:45   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thanks Sawyer. I am looking at a multichannel speaker solution now. Been listening to stereo from a surround amp for years and I don't feel to good about it. Any suggestions - I was told B&W make some good surround speakers.
IMHO, for listening to quality music, stereo is better than multichannel even today. If your surround amp has a 2 channel selector for its output, that is all you need. And fine speakers+room acoustics well addressed. Almost all recordings are mastered in 2 channel anyway.

Surround works well for movies, I believe, but there too I use a 2 channel 2 speaker set up that works better for me than the low end surround systems, I don't even miss a sub. Of course if budget isn't a constraint, multi is best for movies. I also hate wires running all over the place and wireless speakers don't work too well.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:49   #1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
IMHO, for listening to quality music, stereo is better than multichannel even today. If your surround amp has a 2 channel selector for its output, that is all you need. And fine speakers+room acoustics well addressed. Almost all recordings are mastered in 2 channel anyway.

Surround works well for movies, I believe, but there too I use a 2 channel 2 speaker set up that works better for me than the low end surround systems, I don't even miss a sub. Of course if budget isn't a constraint, multi is best for movies. I also hate wires running all over the place and wireless speakers don't work too well.

Very well laid pointers Sawyer.

Yet, one can wish that the friends delving into the stereo & those who can afford should also listen to the better offerings from the market. Some of the honest brands are absolute value for money. I am part of the India's Community of Hifi & Highend Lovers and have absolutely loved value that the brands offer, provided one can 'understand' what the money is being paid for & at the same time has the Golden ears, as they say in music industry/scenario.

India has taken a while to come out from mp3 to quality conscious music lovers who dont like anything below a .flac format. While the transition and growth is slow, i am quite pleased to see the new friends willing to hear the differences on 'what they are okay with' and what they lose in this process of self made assumptions that what we have works best.

There are plenty of options around at various price brackets and the market all open to be explored, with a better offing just around at every corner. Dont know if you are aware about India's two famous HIFI & reasonably Highend brands that made it big internationally, here are the links for the reviews of their world famous amps/speakers.

CADENCE VALVE/TUBE AMPLIFIERS - This is a User Review

RETHM SAADHNA SPEAKERS - This is an online review from a review site.

These are two of the best that we have from India including another brand which offers a very high Nostalgia & Value for money with their amplifiers and few speakers that they make - LYRITA AUDIO, DELHI . If you feel you would want to gather more info on international brands as well, then possibly more could be discussed with Audiophile community link as I shared in the first para.

And yes there aint nothing better for music than 2 channel to most of us listeners \m/

Cheers
Old 19th October 2011, 11:09   #1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
5 different wires. Also, yet to buy a sub. Can anything from Cadence, Lithos, Audire, lyrita and such fit my budget? Also, what about sonodyne? Their website doesnt show anything.

Not fixed but I wouldnt spend 15K If my job gets done in 10K.

Anything from those brands may not get you anything in the specified budget we have. More so, Cadence & Lyrita are only into Valve specific designs and Stereo only.

Your budget could make you look at Norge, Cambridge Audio, Marantz unless you are also looking at Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha - of which Onkyo should definitely be checked for the price range you specified, just in case they have a unit to offer.

wishes
Old 19th October 2011, 15:26   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Considering i am sitting in Abad, will Norge or any other domestic amp maker ship to my place? Will it be worth the pains?

Most Viewed