Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 18:32   #901
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Hi:

How good is the VCS10 (bose center)? I am quoted Rs 11k for it. Is it worth that price?. I have a Acoustimass 10 system and thought of adding a VCS10 to complement the existing setup.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on it.

Thank you.
I would not say all that great. Thats because thats the only choice I had got. I could not install JBL because of space constraints. VCS10 was the only one which could fit on top of the TV.

It just serves the purpose for me.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:03   #902
Senior - BHPian

I auditioned few CD players yesterday. Marantz 5003 and Azur 340C, compared the performance with CA DV99. I am no expert, but found DV99 perform much better than I expected when playing music CDs. If you want best of both the worlds (movies and music) CA DV99 makes the best choice. It costs 14K in Bangalore, If you can get it from UK its on sale for 120 Pounds (~ Rs.8000), killer deal!!
Old 17th May 2010, 10:52   #903
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Sure thing. I will also check Mfg dates before opening packages.

Offer really seems to be too good. As told , i have ended up buying unwanted stuff like xbox and THX home theater . But i will resale them at subsidised price as i dont need them. It comes with 1 Year Manufacturer warranty.
Received the piece with Feb 10 mfg. (Hope it is fine?). Though piece looked fresh but i noted that it was not company packed and was pre opened. When asked, they told me, they generally open it for checking purpose?

But there are no scratches and use marks though.

How do i check in this LED about usage hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Are you sure that Home Theater is THX? I guess it is Onkyo 3100 in the offer and that is the most basic Onkyo without HDMI.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is THX certified but not HDMI
Old 17th May 2010, 22:33   #904
Senior - BHPian

The Denon AVR 1910

This purchase was planned for much later (2 months down the line, after shifting to our new crib), but then suddenly there was this MASSIVE offer on GEB (Global Easy Buy) where, for 12 hours, one could order whatever he/she wanted and shipping/processing/customs duties/commissions etc. would be waived off. As SOON as this offer was announced, the first thing I did was to search for a receiver. Bought it within 10 minutes of browsing. Had a tough time explaining my purchase to Dad, but eventually he just nodded. Since I was anyways going to buy this receiver, but we got it for much cheaper.

Presenting to you, the Denon AVR 1910. Reason for preferring the 1910 was obvious. Better video processing and analog upscaling. My Tata Sky + gives out component video, which can be upscaled. Initial reviews show a marked improvement in PQ but sound could not be judged well as I haven't yet picked up speakers for it. Wired my OLD Sony HiFi speakers to it. Don't like the output one bit. Absolutely dead. Goes to show that this amplifier is not for powering ALL speakers and an Active Sub is a MUST.
But, one cannot judge an amplifier by using inferior speakers, so it's a wait and watch situation when the new ones come in.

Cheers!!

PS: Couldn't check PS3 quality since I don't have 2 HDMI cables. ALSO, I want to pass a Digital Out from Tata Sky +, but don't know which cable to buy for it. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-p1060020-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-p1060023-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-p1060028-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-p1060029-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-p1060030-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-p1060036-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 10:28   #905
Senior - BHPian

Hey Frank, how much did you pay for it? And what speakers are you planning to get?
Old 18th May 2010, 12:28   #906
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats is some really drool-worthy equipment. How much did you pay for the receiver and where and what is this site?
Old 18th May 2010, 20:12   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hey Frank, how much did you pay for it? And what speakers are you planning to get?
Paid around 22 k for this shipped to my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Wow, thats is some really drool-worthy equipment. How much did you pay for the receiver and where and what is this site?
Thank you. The site was Ebay.in/globaleasybuy
Old 18th May 2010, 23:27   #908
BHPian

Thats one awesome receiver. Very highly rated and importantly high current.

I would recommend checking the impedence of the speakers before hooking them up to this or they will strain the receiver and possibly fry it. I am guessing the speakers you are using are 3 or 4 ohms whereas your receiver should be supporting 8 - 16 ohms. A good match for these is Klipsch 500 or Polks . Bose is over rated imho. Try Infinity too.

Also try going thru this website BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY , he has taken the complex denon manual and simplified it for us simple souls!

I hope you have a great time with this receiver!
Old 18th May 2010, 23:32   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend checking the impedence of the speakers before hooking them up to this or they will strain the receiver and possibly fry it.
I am guessing the speakers you are using are 3 or 4 ohms whereas your receiver should be supporting 8 - 16 ohms.
My present speakers are 6 ohm speakers which is one of the impedances supported by the amplifier. The surround speakers are 24 ohm speakers, which again, will absolutely reduce the strain on the speakers.
Quote:
A good match for these is Klipsch 500 or Polks . Bose is over rated imho. Try Infinity too.
Found Klipsch a little bright. HATED Jamo. LOOOVED PSB, but it isn't in my budget. Can make do with Wharfedale, if no other choice. Intend to hear KEF or Mordaunt Short but no resources to do the same.
Went to the JBL Store but couldn't hear the Infinity system as the ONLY DVD they were playing was of some hard hitting movie. I dont like to demo systems with movies!
Quote:

Also try going thru this website BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY , he has taken the complex denon manual and simplified it for us simple souls!
Already worshipping the 'PIG'

Thanks again for the wishes!
Old 18th May 2010, 23:39   #910
BHPian

I just read one earlier posts about you wanting to listen to music on these. In which case I would recommend a bookshelf for the fronts or even towers. But keep the front and centre the same series of speakers for it to blend in properly. Sats you can use any that you feel sounds right. Different Sat brand is also not a problem.

I am surprised you found Klipsch bright, they usually horn heavy. But its always individual preference. If you found Klipsch bright then I am not sure you will like Polks. Try Energy's their RC Mini is awesome but they might be underrated for the 1910.

Also Infinity, and take your own CD. Remember thought that it will sound different in your home and with your set up. Thats why I love 30 day returns in Canada

Last edited by Raj1008 : 18th May 2010 at 23:40.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:38   #911
BHPian

@ Frankmehta did you audition the Klipsch with Pioneer amp? The Amp makes a big difference to the speakers. Pios are very bright, usually HK or Denon would be the best way to audition them with
Old 19th May 2010, 08:28   #912
Senior - BHPian

I remember demoing them on a yamaha amp at a mall. I don't know where in mumbai I can demo them with a denon
Old 19th May 2010, 08:32   #913
BHPian

Ideally listen to them with a HK or denon because they both are high current and close in SQ imho.

Yamahas, I would personally put them in the same boat as the Pios, I am talking about models 6260 and up.

Best of luck!
Old 29th May 2010, 13:35   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I remember demoing them on a yamaha amp at a mall. I don't know where in mumbai I can demo them with a denon
Why not Vijay Sales? They are value based retailers and the staff is courteous as well. I bought my Pio Todoroki from them.

Last edited by panky12345 : 29th May 2010 at 13:40.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:03   #915
BHPian

Hello,

has anybody tried the Philips Micro Theater (MCD388/98)? Is it comparable to a conventional 5.1 speaker system?

thanks

Most Viewed