Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 13:42   #1306
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

I have shortlisted the Denon-2311 with a 5.1 from Anthony Gallo [Strada's + TR3] What do the experts think of this combo? Yes for the same cost I can get floor standers and other good setups, but find the Stradas look and sound very good.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:37   #1307
BHPian

Hello guys,

I need your expert advice.

My Brother in law is planning for a good home theatre system for his house (which is being built). He was so fascinated reading about bose that he went for an audition and he came out mighty impressed. When he told me the same, I also wanted to have an feel of bose (Remember I was also so big fan of bose. Its my dream to have a complete bose system in my home also and also note that I have not listened to any of the bose systems before. So I went inside with really huge expectations). So off we go last saturday to Isphani center. And behold, this guy was very professional in his approach and he was gave a demo on the lifestyle 45 priced at INR 270000 (or is it 48) system complete with jewel cube speakers, ADAPTiQ (u name it, the feature was there.).

well the outcome was that I am Disappointed Totally. it never sounded like a system that costs INR 2.7L. I could very well get the same fell from system of Rs 40000. The sound clarity was good and i could not find any distortion. But i couldnt find it worthy. I feel that its just an over escalated brand and thats it.
In the same shop I have the chance to listen to pink floyd throuh bose speakers. Source is a play station. Amps; Yamaha. Well I would say that it sounded way better than complete bose setup.

But still my BIL is sticking to bose and I wanted to save him. So i suggested him to have a demo from Yamaha home theatre systems which he said "next week". he also wanted me to suggest a good setup for him.

This is here i need You Highness's opinion.

1. A good blu ray player (with usb compatibility) Price Rs 20000 max
2. A good sub: Rs 30000 max
3. A good Amps; I prefer Yamaha. Can u suggest a suitable model in the price range of Rs 50000. 3d compatibility preferred.
4. 5:1 or 7:2 speakers. BIL wants bose speakers. but you guys can suggest other options also. Price Rs 50000 to 80000 max.

this way we can still save around 100000 which can be used if necessary for an upgrade to 3D tv.

thanks in advance.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:13   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I have shortlisted the Denon-2311 with a 5.1 from Anthony Gallo [Strada's + TR3] What do the experts think of this combo? Yes for the same cost I can get floor standers and other good setups, but find the Stradas look and sound very good.
Gallos are really nice speakers. Yup they may not be the best sounding at the price but overall, when you include looks, size and audio quality, they are an excellent deal.
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:55   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hello guys,

My Brother in law is planning for a good home theatre system for his house (which is being built). He was so fascinated reading about bose ....
Here is something that you can do just to convince your BIL that Bose is not worth the money. (However I doubt if the showroom guys will agree to this request)

Go to the showroom, ask them to disconnect the Sub and play something only using the jewel cube speakers.
Both Music / Movie clip.

Now do the same with any other Speaker system , Jamo/ Warfdale / etc...

You will see what the speakers are truly worth.

Old 24th June 2011, 22:01   #1310
BANNED

Quote:
But still my BIL is sticking to bose and I wanted to save him.

(snip)

4. 5:1 or 7:2 speakers. BIL wants bose speakers.
Once upon a time, a guru and his pupil were travelling along the banks of a river, when they spotted a man drowning. The guru walked ahead, unperturbed. The pupil was shocked. "why don't you want try to save that drowning man?" he asked.

Guru answered back - "because he never asked to be saved"; and he continued - "if I save him now, and he will find another river and another time to drown himself".

I have mentioned a thread on designing HT systems, started by samurai. You can use the advanced search feature, or it is linked some pages back to find it, take a print out of the entire thread (hardly 4 or 5 pages of posts) and show it it to your BIL.

Edit:- Looks like your BIL wants to spend 2.7x10^N on audio alone. You have infinite options - 50K on speakers alone, for somebody willing to cough up Ls of ₹₹₹s is cruelty.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 24th June 2011 at 22:06.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 11:44   #1311
BHPian

Guys I'm in process of building(slowly) 5.1 home theater system+Denon receiver.Why Denon coz it offers better SQ than Onkyo and Yamaha at about same price.
Today I saw Denon AVR 1611 on sale at Vann's and according to reviews this looks like a real steal for about $258.This is 7.1 setup and i can always upgrade from 5.1.to 7.1 though I dont think it is really necessary.Also denon has so many other series/models but i really cant tell the difference except whether its stereo/multichannel or if its HDMI is 1.3/1.4.

Is this offer a real steal or should I look for other Denon models e.g.Denon591?
(No sony/pioneer either,Maratnz is out of budget)

Last edited by rsjaurr : 4th July 2011 at 12:04.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:43   #1312
BANNED

Hello,

I'm currently doing interiors in my new flat and want to know if I need to do wiring for speakers when the false ceiling is being made. If yes, what kind of wires should I plan? I don't have a home theater right now, but plan to buy and set it up in a few months. I'm not planning any mods to the room itself for better acoustics. I just want a 5.1 basic home theater setup with decent quality.

Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 21:38   #1313
BANNED

@gadget.fr - I think you may be better off simply leaving some conduits to run the wires through right now. Just leave a long string in them. When time comes, tie the wires to be installed to one end of the string, and pull the string from the other end - the wires will come through.

As in every thing else, having strings in the right place always helps. ;-D

BTW - I have realised that most of my audio equipment - mostly stereos have problems with dust accumulation in the volume controls. How well are the HT amplifiers insulated against dust?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 08:44   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

My Brother in law is planning for a good home theatre system for his house (which is being built). He was so fascinated reading about bose that he went for an audition and he came out mighty impressed. When he told me the same, I also wanted to have an feel of bose (Remember I was also so big fan of bose. Its my dream to have a complete bose system in my home also and also note that I have not listened to any of the bose systems before. So I went inside with really huge expectations). So off we go last saturday to Isphani center. And behold, this guy was very professional in his approach and he was gave a demo on the lifestyle 45 priced at INR 270000 (or is it 48) system complete with jewel cube speakers, ADAPTiQ (u name it, the feature was there.).

well the outcome was that I am Disappointed Totally. it never sounded like a system that costs INR 2.7L. I could very well get the same fell from system of Rs 40000. The sound clarity was good and i could not find any distortion. But i couldnt find it worthy. I feel that its just an over escalated brand and thats it.

In the same shop I have the chance to listen to pink floyd throuh bose speakers. Source is a play station. Amps; Yamaha. Well I would say that it sounded way better than complete bose setup.

But still my BIL is sticking to bose and I wanted to save him. So i suggested him to have a demo from Yamaha home theatre systems which he said "next week". he also wanted me to suggest a good setup for him.

This is here i need You Highness's opinion.

1. A good blu ray player (with usb compatibility) Price Rs 20000 max

2. A good sub: Rs 30000 max

3. A good Amps; I prefer Yamaha. Can u suggest a suitable model in the price range of Rs 50000. 3d compatibility preferred.

4. 5:1 or 7:2 speakers. BIL wants bose speakers. but you guys can suggest other options also. Price Rs 50000 to 80000 max.

this way we can still save around 100000 which can be used if necessary for an upgrade to 3D tv.

thanks in advance.
Hi guys

Sorry to disturb you all again..Please refer to my above request for help from your end. Some interesting developments happened.
This sunday we (self, sister and BIL) went to music square in sterling road to have a demo of the yamaha (finally) music systems.
The experience with the staff was rather pathetic. They initially said thay they wont offer any demo without their yamaha sound engineer (he seems to be available between 10 am to 5 pm weekdays. what an idea. Yamaha is making sure that no customer will be availabe by the time the engineer is available and vice versa). After trying to make them understand that we will not be available on weekdays, they reluctantly called up someone and after 30 mins they said they will give a demo if we are willing to wait for anothet 10 mins which we did.
we initially had a feel of the yamaha yht 294 home theatre package (priced at Rs 29500). Its a 5.1 channel speaker system with an amplifier. You need to buy your dvd / blu ray player separately. The experience was pretty good. At low to medium volumes, it sounded pretty amazing for it price, the surround effect was good, clarity was good. but as the volume went up, the whole experience was different. Every speaker tried to give all outputs from itself to cater to high volume and it was pathetic. But its a well rounded system for begineers who are interested in clarity rather than "loudness"
then comes the main phase, we had a feel of the performance in proper yamaha
1. Source: Yamaha blu ray player
2. Movie: Ice age 3.
3. Scene: Wherein the two little possums try to save sid
4. Amps; Yamaha RX V 1065 (Rs 54500). 7.1 compatible - not available anymore. no 3d compatibility.
5. Speakers: NS 7900 (5.1 system) (two towers alone will set you back by 15K)
6. Sub: Active: YST SW 515
Total worth of the system except blu ray player around Rs. 88000. Replace tha amp with RX V 1067 and the price goes upto 105000 INR.

My feel was that its way better compared to the hometheatre package. I had the feel of sitting in sathyam or pvr and watching a movie. The clarity was good. The surround effect was awsome. You can feel a movie like a movie. Overall am pretty impressed. But my BIL says "Thats good. But lets get a feel of bose before deciding anything"
So before leaving we had another demo
Same source, same movie and same scene but
Amps: yamaha RX V 1067 (new one Rs 64500. 7.1 channel and 3D compatible)
Speakers: 7.1 Soavo 1 (the two tower speakers alone costs you a clean 55K)
Sub; NS SW 700
Now i am pretty exited. The clarity was awsome. Surround was good. I felt am in a theatre again. But i could not feel the much anticipated oomph over the previous one. Not much that i could feel. Overall i felt that if i am going for yamaha, the first one would be fine to satisfy atleast 90% of my use.
Now comes the best part.
Off we go to skywalk to have the fell of Bose again. He the experience is completely different from the one I had at Ispahani center. The bose lifestyle 48 system delivered more punchier sound. The little details were amazing. It sounded way better than yamaha in terms of music. There i understood what yamaha is lacking. Its the punch and crispness is missing.
This is what i could make out between bose and yamaha (mind you bose lifestyle 48 could set you back by a deep 230000 INR which is way over a yamaha or if you go for lifestyle 35, it still costs you 170000. The noticeable difference is the addition of a built in dvd player in LS 48)
1. Bose is a music system. Yamaha is a home theatre system.
2. There is crispness in bose which is lacking in yam
3. The bose lacks in low frequency whereas yamaha excels there. No distortion even if you go low and the thump is amazing
4. You need deep pockets for yamaha and really deep pockets for bose.
5. Watching movies in bose is not as exiting as in yamaha
6. Listening to music in yamaha is not as exiting as in bose.

Now can you guys please tell me something.. is there a way to improve the punchiness of yamaha.
I tried asking bose to supply me only their jewel cube speakers while i buy the amps and sub from yamaha which they flatly refused stating thay their jewel cube wont work with any other amps other than bose.
They suggested acoustimass speakers with yamaha amps (they have a setup for the same) and it sounded pathetic. it was too "boomy" full yamaha is better.
Help me out ho save some of my BIL money.
Plz dont suggest onkyo. I have listened to it and felt it like a crap. Went to audiophile to have another try. They made sure that nobody should get any idea of buying onkyo.
Barath
Old 27th July 2011, 11:11   #1315
Senior - BHPian

What is the primary usage of the system?

And what kind of music source would be used.. will the source be Audio CD or MP3 ?
Old 27th July 2011, 12:06   #1316
BHPian

Guys, I am getting a deal of Rs.21,000 for this HT. 1000W, Bluray, iPod dock and the jazz.. Reckon its good? ..I liked the demo though the bass was kinda on the low side..

Or should I still be looking through A/V reciever kinds ala Onkyo 3400?
Old 27th July 2011, 12:29   #1317
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I need a new home theatre with a budget of 2l or so. I'm checking out various options, like mixing and matching etc.

But any suggestions on good 5.1 speaker packages in my budget? Good for music as well a movies.

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:37   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Guys, I am getting a deal of Rs.21,000 for this HT. 1000W, Bluray, iPod dock and the jazz.. Reckon its good? ..I liked the demo though the bass was kinda on the low side..

Check out HB806TM and HB906TA from LG. Both have DLNA, simplink, 3D etc. I did hear out the 906TA, and have nothing to complain. Obviously its no match for a dedicated amp+speaker setup.

Last edited by xotiq : 27th July 2011 at 12:39.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:43   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Monaro, I use one (Onkyo) for last 5 years and trust me I havent regreted my decision even once everytime I watched a movie or just listend to some songs. I see you are in Noida, and the only problem that people like you and me face (NCR folks) that if something goes wrong (god forbid) you will end up calling their CR park office who will have their own tantrums to throw at you. I had to face the problem once when I blew the fuse and just to get them here costed me 800 bucks that to after some waiting.

However, since I do not have the first hand experience of the product you have listed here. I wont be able to compare.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:50   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is the primary usage of the system?

And what kind of music source would be used.. will the source be Audio CD or MP3 ?
Hi assuming you have asked me

The system will be used for both.
1. Classical songs from audio cd n mp3
2. Movies at night
3. Cricket match on TV

Barath

Most Viewed