Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 14:18   #1816
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you are planning for a real vintage, go for gears made in the 1970s. They are by far the best audio gears made like the silver face Pioneers, Technics, Sony etc.
I could not find the specs of the Onkyo you mentioned in my brief google search (I will surely search again) but in general Onkyo is a very reputed name in this field.
However, I would re-iterate about the superior quality of stuff made in the 70s. I have been using a humble Pioneer SX-434 with my Technics Turntable and I am in love with that set-up. The amp is not all that powerful to blow up the apartment but has a distinct clarity and warmth in the sound.

Regards,
Saket
Hi Saket,Thanks for the feedback.My friend also had a pioneer for sale,but I double checked and he has already sold it.He has a Luxmann,Sansui and this Onkyo integra.I checked the specifications here and seems to be peppy.

http://audio-database.com/ONKYO/amp/...a-817xd-e.html

I need more RMS at 8 ohm and is among one of the reasons I am leaning onto this amp + the integra lineup seems to be decent.
Let me know what you think of it though.
Yours is pretty nice old skool stuff, I do not have a turntable as of now but will source one soon.
Right now I will be listening through media players.
Old 14th May 2013, 15:01   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Hi Saket,Thanks for the feedback.My friend also had a pioneer for sale,but I double checked and he has already sold it.He has a Luxmann,Sansui and this Onkyo integra.I checked the specifications here and seems to be peppy.

http://audio-database.com/ONKYO/amp/...a-817xd-e.html

I need more RMS at 8 ohm and is among one of the reasons I am leaning onto this amp + the integra lineup seems to be decent.
Let me know what you think of it though.
Yours is pretty nice old skool stuff, I do not have a turntable as of now but will source one soon.
Right now I will be listening through media players.
That's almost monstrous! Good specs. The output power, SN ratio, and the frequency response is very good. I am sure it can blow up some heads! Just have a good set of matching speakers. A lot will be discovered altering your set ups like speaker placements, thick gauge copper connecting wires..all that will help greatly.

BTW, all names that you mentioned are established classics, even the older Sansui. Good to see some audio buffs here too.

Regards,
Saket
Old 14th May 2013, 15:33   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
That's almost monstrous! Good specs. The output power, SN ratio, and the frequency response is very good. I am sure it can blow up some heads! Just have a good set of matching speakers. A lot will be discovered altering your set ups like speaker placements, thick gauge copper connecting wires..all that will help greatly.

BTW, all names that you mentioned are established classics, even the older Sansui. Good to see some audio buffs here too.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket,I was also happy seeing the specifications and the cherry on the cake is an equivalent if INR 5000.I think its a good price.I wanted the LUXMAN its an M4000 but the asking price of an equivalent INR 56000/- puts me off.
BTW,what speakers are you running your gear?
Old 14th May 2013, 15:54   #1819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Saket,I was also happy seeing the specifications and the cherry on the cake is an equivalent if INR 5000.
5K? That's a day light robbery! No exaggeration.

Quote:
BTW,what speakers are you running your gear?
A pair of Sony Bookshelves and a pair of self powered floor-standers having 2 woofer drivers & 1 tweeter in each.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:17   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
5K? That's a day light robbery! No exaggeration.

A pair of Sony Bookshelves and a pair of self powered floor-standers having 2 woofer drivers & 1 tweeter in each.
INR 5000,you mean is it expensive?I am under the impression its super cheap
Old 14th May 2013, 17:19   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
INR 5000,you mean is it expensive?I am under the impression its super cheap
Quote:
That's a day light robbery!
Sorry for that confusion. Here, you are the robber! No offence meant but 5K is too cheap for this amp. Not to miss anyway.

This is my setup: You can see the floor standers far away beside the sofa. The Amp is under the TT in the showcase.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-dsc02718.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-dsc02723.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-dsc02724.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-dsc02730.jpg  

Last edited by saket77 : 14th May 2013 at 17:25.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:06   #1822
BHPian

Wow,thats a very relaxed and laidback setup.surely from the snaps it looks so cozy.
Kudos on that pioneer.Old products rock.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:16   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow,thats a very relaxed and laidback setup.surely from the snaps it looks so cozy.
Kudos on that pioneer.Old products rock.
Thanks CaliforniaKnight! Spinning those old vinyls and feeling that nostalgia is my way of life at weekend nights...if I am not driving (we are on Teambhp right?)

Vintage gears surely rock. I have some other turntables made by Philips & HMVs but this is my primary hi-fi.

I am sure you are going to have a blast with that Onkyo. Again- not to miss at this price point.

Best Regards,
Saket
Old 17th May 2013, 14:05   #1824
BHPian

I am planning to replace my AVR without having to break the bank.

Current I own a set of old Sonodyne speakers - Floor standings 3way 130w @8ohms. + surrounds. [Dont plan to upgrade these at the moment.]

The Denon 1713 seemed to have everything I was looking for. i.e. HDMI pass through, Airplay, USB, n/w support etc..

Just not sure if the output rating 80w / channel @8ohms, would match up with my 130w @8ohms speakers.

I don't blast music , at the same time I dont want to speakers to sound low powered.

Would this be a mismatch ?
Old 20th May 2013, 11:36   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I am planning to replace my AVR without having to break the bank.
Audition Pioneer VSX-922-K. Specification wise, it has some more to offer over the Denon. I have a Pioneer VSX-1122-K and love the sound quality. I won't recommend the 1122 as its a massive rip off in India. I bought this model following the Pioneer UK website specification as it said it has Q Deo Video processing. The Indian spec 1122 does not have this. The only technical difference between 922 and 1122 is an additional optical and coaxial port and these are slowly becoming obsolete. You can get a 922 for 35K with bill and warranty. I paid 40K for a 1122. I did not buy from Pro Fx.

Going by the demands for your speaker system, the Denon and Pioneer should do the job. Just don't buy anything without listening to it first. Pro Fx MG Road have both so you can carry your speakers there, plug em in and check or ask Pro Fx to send the receivers to your place for a listen. They usually do for genuine customers.
Old 20th May 2013, 12:33   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Audition Pioneer VSX-922-K
Thanks for the tip. It does seem much better than the Denon 1713 in terms of specs.
Will audition the 2. In parallel I have an Onkyo TX-SR503. Trying to dispose that off too, need to see the best I can get for it.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:07   #1827
BHPian

I am looking for a sound bar. It is primarily for voice, so mid range clarity and fidelity is very important. It should be able to double up as centre channel of an HT system as well. I suppose Rs.10k would be a good enough budget. Any recommendations?
Old 6th June 2013, 18:01   #1828
BHPian

Got a Mitashi 5.1 has a marriage gift 3 years back. My lab bit the woofer side rubber and now its lying useless. I am planning to revive it. What kind of a sub-woofer should I buy and fit. I believe the sub-woofer is 8ohms. It would be really helpful if people can tell me the shops too where I can purchase here in Hyderabad.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:11   #1829
BHPian

If one is OK with used stuff in good nick or brand new stuff not available in Indian market, then contact Sam on 9945882492 in Bangalore.

I bought Infidelity center speaker and Bose freespace active sub woofer from him, both used and I am extremely happy with them.

Last edited by mashmash : 6th June 2013 at 19:13.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:10   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Since I have very limited knowledge in things electronic, what I am going to say here may evoke some laughter. But bear with me please.

I see audiophiles recommending custom built HT over HTiB. Now, applying automotive parallel here, we won't put Vista's engine in i20 and then add Swift's suspension to it. What I mean is, car is designed optimally as an integrated unit by the car maker. Similarly HTiBs are designed as an integrated unit with amp, subs and speakers mated to one another and matched and integrated. Isn't this superior over a custom built where amp is one make, sub is another, towers are yet another, rear ones are yet another. Now won't this create a mis-match and won't something or the other keep blowing?

Most Viewed