Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 21:37   #2206
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Hello pratyush6 & other friends,

I ended up ordering AVR 270 and HKTS 65 speakers. All excited and awaiting the delivery. Need to look at other basic stuff I would need to set up the home theater. The room size is 12*14 and will be a dedicated only for home theater. Looking at options to make the room sound proof and definitely a cost effective option.

What are some of the key things that I need to take care while connecting the home theater? Will read through this thread in detail for Do's and Don't.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:29   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
make the room sound proof
Are you sure that you are looking for sound proof or make the room sound better, the former will be very expensive and require a lot of changes to the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
actually to zero down on the Receiver and then audition the speakers
From my experience its always better starting from the speakers reason being the amp has no significance without any load. It will be a blind buy by just looking at the specs thinking that it is correct which will be far from the actual result, so unless we dont know what an amp is going to be paired with the specs will remain only a spec. Whereas when we have the speakers selected we can easily find the matching amp by doing audition.

Quote:
do not buy something that does not have Airplay, Internet Radio, Spotify, Pandora, DLNA etc.
IMO, as far as an AVR is concerned these features are not at all relevant, an AVR should be just an AVR, nothing else. For features we can go for players that support those.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th August 2014 at 22:42.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:40   #2208
BHPian

While I would want to make the room sound better, I also want to ensure that my neighbor do not get disturbed. I have one large window facing his master bedroom that I may have to cover with thick curtains or do some amount of sound proofing so that you don't hear it loud from outside.

I will install the system and do a demo as to how loud it is from outside after closing all the windows. Based on that I will look at options available. Definitely do not want my neighbors to knock on the front door middle of the night to reduce the volume.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:51   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I may have to cover with thick curtains or do some amount of sound proofing
Mainly the sound transfers from a room either by air or through structure. Curtains or any kind of jugads wont work here. For blocking the transfer through air , you have make a tight seal over the windows with thick ply (double layered ply with 2 or 4" gap in between filled with glass wool / rock wool or any other sound absorbing material. Similar kind of treatment has to be done for the doors too. For structural leak, you have to isolate the speakers and mainly sub(s) from the floor. These are the basic steps for the sound proofing. Advanced proofing, if it warrants, requires building another floating room inside the existing room with proper insulation between them.

Once the room is sound proofed, you can start looking into making the room sound good.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th August 2014 at 22:54.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:45   #2210
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone used the Bose sound touch 30 WIFI speaker? I need something similar. It's listed for around 57k and I also have the option of buying it from USA where it is costing me around 700$ and hence a saving of almost 15-17k. And I am guessing that it comes with international warranty.

Any other product that I can consider with similar specs?
Old 12th August 2014, 11:52   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
It will be a blind buy by just looking at the specs thinking that it is correct which will be far from the actual result, so unless we dont know what an amp is going to be paired with the specs will remain only a spec. Whereas when we have the speakers selected we can easily find the matching amp by doing audition.
Huge doubts on this. The receiver is the heart of the HT, why would you buy speakers first? It is like buying jewellery first and then find a girlfriend? (Or, something like that). So you are committing to the speakers rather than the receiver? I would 'always' buy the receiver, according to what I need and then pair speakers - remember you can keep upgrading speakers for a relatively lesser cost.

Quote:
IMO, as far as an AVR is concerned these features are not at all relevant, an AVR should be just an AVR, nothing else. For features we can go for players that support those.
I would have agreed with you if this was 10 years back! Hell even 5 years back, as I was not exposed to those features.
I agree that the AVRs should first do the AVRs job great i.e. process the AV signals correctly. However now, how many systems do you want at home?
I have an HT, then a Home Audio Sytem and then a Digital Radio. Only the HT is not capable of Airplay & Internet Radio, whereas the others are. The only issue with such a setup is that only the Radio is portable, so if you have systems in different rooms (like I do) listening to your favorite tracks sometimes is a pain.
And I absolutely love Internet Radio - once you get hooked to it, nothing else will will do. It was the Worldspace Radio earlier, now, we are limited to Internet Radio (which isn't too bad but depending on Internet is not something I like)
Old 12th August 2014, 13:11   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Huge doubts on this. The receiver is the heart of the HT, why would you buy speakers first? It is like buying jewellery first and then find a girlfriend?
YES, if the Jewellery is the only thing which makes the life with GF sweet.

To me speakers are the main and the important component in an audio chain followed by the amp and speakers can make a setup awful or shine. In short, if you buy a high end amp and pair it with a set of crappy speakers, the amp cannot make the speakers sound good. If somebody is serious about the setup, they should dedicate a lot of time for finding the best suited speaker as each speakers has its own sound signature (more prominent compared to amps)

Quote:
remember you can keep upgrading speakers for a relatively lesser cost.
You will be limited to the capability of a particular amp, in most cases changing speakers need an amp change to get the best out of the new set of speakers to call it an upgrade.

Quote:
I would have agreed with you if this was 10 years back! Hell even 5 years back, as I was not exposed to those features.
It depends on the user what is his priority, just features or a receiver. Thats how boom boxes and AllInOnes came in to existence. Those who had used those will know the difference between those devices and a dedicates systems. Manufactures now a days are trying to reduce the cost as much as possible and if they have to spend for features then definitely it will hit the other areas. Thats the reason the modern AVRs are designed at the thresholds (its not limited to entry level or mid segment equipments). So the buyer will get what they have paid for : Features vs Equipment

Getting Internet radio or similar things is not at all an issue now a days as we have lot of simple yet powerful equipments to do that eventhough the squeezebox is not available. Even a phone can do that.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 12th August 2014 at 13:14.
Old 12th August 2014, 14:45   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
To me speakers are the main and the important component in an audio chain followed by the amp and speakers can make a setup awful or shine. .....

If somebody is serious about the setup, they should dedicate a lot of time for finding the best suited speaker as each speakers has its own sound signature
Completely agree with CMS. I was in the market till a few months back hunting for an HT and poured over this thread as well. After lots of advice and suggestions I finally realized that finding a pair of speakers that YOU like and sounds good to YOUR ears is the most important. All the components that come before, eventually culminate in the speakers. A bad set of speakers will lay to waste all your efforts - no matter how good your other components are.

Having said that - If you do buy yourself a good / awesome set of speakers, you HAVE to back it up with good components. The sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain! As already said above - if anyone decides to put together their own HT / Stereo System as opposed to buying a predetermined set, be ready to invest a lot of time in auditions!!

Quote:
It depends on the user what is his priority, just features or a receiver. ...... Features vs Equipment

Getting Internet radio or similar things is not at all an issue now a days as we have lot of simple yet powerful equipments to do that eventhough the squeezebox is not available. Even a phone can do that.
Again a big +1 to the above. Features, whether they be in cars or a HT is subjective to you requirements. It is very easy to get caught up in the flow and go for a system (or car) with the most features, some of which you may never use and may be at the cost of sacrificing the all important sound quality.
Old 12th August 2014, 16:50   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
In short, if you buy a high end amp and pair it with a set of crappy speakers, the amp cannot make the speakers sound good.
Ofcourse true - but can you please point out where I said that pairing crappy speakers with a great amp will make it sound good?

Quote:
It depends on the user what is his priority, just features or a receiver.
So the buyer will get what they have paid for : Features vs Equipment.
Even a phone can do that.
Again a very generic statement. BTW it is not Features Vs. Equipment but Features AND Equipment.

You have to pay for the latest addons - It is like saying if you buy the 5.1 it will be cheaper that the 7.2 - The point being the world has already moved past 5.1.
Here when you are already spending so much for an AVR why not stretch it and get something which are almost default now.
Yes, a phone can play internet radio - but can it beam it wireless(-ly) to an AVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I finally realized that finding a pair of speakers that YOU like and sounds good to YOUR ears is the most important.
You do realize that when you are testing that speaker of yours - it is currently already connected to an AVR/AMP/Receiver? Only that it is not the one you have chosen - And if you have indeed chosen your AVR before - then you simply prove my point

Quote:
The sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain!
Yes, again, that is why you test the whole damn thing

Quote:
Features, whether they be in cars or a HT is subjective to you requirements. It is very easy to get caught up in the flow and go for a system (or car) with the most features, some of which you may never use and may be at the cost of sacrificing the all important sound quality.
First - where did I say to sacrifice the acoustics? That is the No.1 priority you have. The question 'how' do you get there?

Yes, you do not pay for what you do not want to use - but that being the case, you should make an informed choice. So you should know what features 'can be' added on to your car errr. the AVR.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 12th August 2014 at 16:53.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:28   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
then you simply prove my point....

Yes, again, that is why you test the whole damn thing
Relax pratyush.... I was just putting my point of view forward not disagreeing with yours. I simply agree with CMS that I would definitely audition for speakers first and then go on to match other components, which may (and did in my case) cause you to change your original choice of speakers!!

Quote:
First - where did I say to sacrifice the acoustics?
Again relax .... Please check, I NEVER quoted anything you said. I have quoted posts by CMS.

FYI in all the time that I was auditioning, I got lost in a maze of AVRs / Amps / Speakers / inputs devices etc!! But irrespective of what I heard, or for that matter whichever speaker I heard it from, considering all other things equal - for a similar price point a Stereo Amps always beat the pants of any AVR. For pure music a stereo amp is way better in music quality as compared to a similar priced AVR, but of course that means we are no longer talking about an HT anymore.

This is off topic.... but the only reason I mention this here is coz all the audiophiles I talked had one thing to say, which was that a Stereo Amp is dedicated towards reproduction of 2 channel music, which is why it does just that and does it very well!! In fact on their recommendation I went onto audition tube amps as well - all in an effort to listen to great music.
Old 12th August 2014, 19:34   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
This is off topic.... but the only reason I mention this here is coz all the audiophiles I talked had one thing to say, which was that a Stereo Amp is dedicated towards reproduction of 2 channel music, which is why it does just that and does it very well!! In fact on their recommendation I went onto audition tube amps as well - all in an effort to listen to great music.
Completely agree on that. I know this because I have one.

The reproduction of 2 channel music is best done by a Stereo Amp. A lot of people keep asking me why the hell spend so much money on a system which at best can be described as the one which plays 'only' music - I am sometimes completely at a loss of words to describe the same. My only response is blame it on the govt for the taxes

But when someone actually listens to the quality of it - the grin on my face is good - it's like telling them; now you know why!

Last edited by pratyush6 : 12th August 2014 at 19:36.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:39   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has anyone used the Bose sound touch 30 WIFI speaker? I need something similar. It's listed for around 57k and I also have the option of buying it from USA where it is costing me around 700$ and hence a saving of almost 15-17k. And I am guessing that it comes with international warranty.

Any other product that I can consider with similar specs?

No international warranty but go for it. I have the soundlink bluetooth purchased two years ago. It's great. I then picked up the Cinemate and it's awesome too. Purchased the newer Cinemate for my friend last month and he loves it. Always thought Bose was overrated till I picked one up.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:57   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse true - but can you please point out where I said that pairing crappy speakers with a great amp will make it sound good?

Again a very generic statement. BTW it is not Features Vs. Equipment but Features AND Equipment.

You have to pay for the latest addons - It is like saying if you buy the 5.1 it will be cheaper that the 7.2 - The point being the world has already moved past 5.1.
Here when you are already spending so much for an AVR why not stretch it and get something which are almost default now.
Yes, a phone can play internet radio - but can it beam it wireless(-ly) to an AVR?
Sir, No need to get worked up. I had tried to pen my thoughts based on the experience and I have seen people struggling to get out of a deadlock by selling the newly bought equip/speakers back to the dealer since it deosnt match with the setup he "assumed"

Few responses for the above post,
- Eventhough you invest in a 7.1, the list of movies encoded in 7.1 is very less compared to 5.1. So its wise to invest in a 5.1 initially if you have budget constraints and later add the remaining the 2, but you are not going to get any day and night difference b/n a 5.1 and 7.1 unless its a very well mastered 7.1 live concert in DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD. But a big NO if you have budget constraint and compromise on the speakers just for 7.1.

- Why you need wireless streaming to AVR? AVR is a receiver and the AVR can receive any analog or digital i/ps. If your device support digital out use it or use use its analog out if its dac is good else use a dac instead. Features can change or obsolete at any time and wise people will invest in modular systems than integrated ones as they dont have to change the entire setup just for getting a new feature. Basically everything boils down to the priority of the individual, so we cannot expect it to be same for all.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 13th August 2014 at 09:58.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:56   #2219
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am in the process of selecting the home theatre.

I liked the SVS sub (SB1000). But the sub costs me Rs 70000 here in Chennai from the authorized dealer. But if you take its original price of $499 (converting it comes to Rs 31000)

I feel that paying 70000 for a 31000 product is way too much.

Now my question is , Is there a way to import it directly to india by paying the customs duty / tax? (got some info thru google that the customs duty is only 36% for anything over Rs 35000).

Can anyone explain what is the procedure for the same?

Thanks

Barath
Old 14th September 2014, 10:07   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi Friends,

Can anyone explain what is the procedure for the same?

Thanks

Barath
Hi, you can import it using Amazon. They are reliable and ship fast too, and the option is much cheaper. You can also use a mediator such as ishopinternational!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks