Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 16:45   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I dont know much about Torvin's speakers. i have seen their adverts but they are not very popular in Mumbai. However a sub is one of he easist to DIY all you really need is a good woofer (Shiva, Brahma, etc..). Then you can add a amp and gomd good cabinetry.
Torvin makes 99% of his speakers using Peerless drivers. His company is also known as Power Electronics. He is supposed to be quite popular in the south with the loudspeakers he keeps cooking up.
Old 17th January 2007, 23:12   #197
BHPian

Quote:
15-20K. A good woofer will eat up atleast 10K. A good plate amp will run you another 10K then you have the box etc....BTW I might be off on prices as I have not bought much in a while. there is a thread on diyaudio.com (Tarun (tcpiop) offers some good advice). I would PM him. Give him my ref.
Thanks Navin, I will check the thread. I remember seeing a long sealed enclosure with a 10" driver + radiator and a 200w plate design. It was the only one where all the components could be sourced on the net.

I have to admit, I am not really a DIYer, I am getting the heat of it as two of my friends are. They also say, like you did earlier, that sub is the easiest to make. So I am giving it a shot, and hope to learn a few things on the way.

Thanks./DT
Old 19th January 2007, 12:26   #198
BHPian

Help in sourcing speakers for DIY

Hi all.

Have an old pair of tower speakers ....now ravaged by time.

It needs to be rebuilt..planning to do it DIY.

The cabinet is Ok but need to replace the 2 sets of Woofers, midrange , tweeters along with crossovers , internal wiring and high quality audio cable.

Any suggestions ? Where can I get such set of matching components and cross over / cables ? Or any one in Blr who can do this for me.

Thx. in advance for your time.
Old 19th January 2007, 14:27   #199
Senior - BHPian

bling !

It's Knuttz - Amazing Music Room
Old 19th January 2007, 14:37   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Any suggestions ? Where can I get such set of matching components and cross over / cables ? Or any one in Blr who can do this for me..
what is the internal volume of the cabinet. is it well braced. to what degree are you willing to modify your cabinet? a pic of teh cabinet will help.
Old 19th January 2007, 16:15   #201
BHPian

Quote:
what is the internal volume of the cabinet. is it well braced. to what degree are you willing to modify your cabinet? a pic of teh cabinet will help.
Navin, sorry I dont have a photo right now.

The Dimensions of the cabinet in feet is 4 ft high x 1.5ft wide and 1.5 ft deep.

It originally had 1 woofer - 8 inch dia , ( Peerless make ) . 1 midrange - 5inch dia ( cosmic (?) make ) and 1 peizo tweeter , with a forward firing tuned bass port . Arranged from top to bottom in this sequence, tweeter - midrange - woofer - bass port

It is well braced.

Open to modifications..but am a beginner in DIY :(

thx again.

Last edited by w 12 : 19th January 2007 at 16:19.
Old 19th January 2007, 16:24   #202
Team-BHP Support

the dimensions you give seem to be external dimensiosn.

what we would need is net internal volume. this might be estimated from the external dimensions as well assuming 21mm MDF was used and another 10-15% is consusmed by bracing and drivers. It still seems larger large (estimated internal volume is 5 cu. ft) for a solitary 8".

Also is this cabinet divided internally. I mean does the 5" have it's own box? can you open the rear of teh speaker and check out the insides?

If the cabinet is well made I would then ask myself how much am I willing to spend?
Old 19th January 2007, 16:36   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

DROOOLLLLLL ! ... the amount of music ..I could have died and gone to heaven........ can fill up my local planet M for sure.....

And the equipment was dilliciuos.... amazing JKD... amazing
Old 19th January 2007, 16:45   #204
Senior - BHPian

w12, for high end drivers, components in bangalore you can try - Corrson - India's only DIY Store for Hi-End Audio

Regarding (dirty?) job of assembling etc, "speaker babu" on SP road can help. He neither uses peerless, vifa kind of hifi stuff nor does he care about T/S parameters I guess, he uses dainty (sourced from taiwan) for his "flagship" products! But he had agreed to make enclosures and assembly based on my specification and components. So I think he should do the job for you too.
Old 19th January 2007, 18:58   #205
BHPian

@navin..

The cabinet is not divided internally . and I can stretch upto 6000 / speaker. Is it too low ? ( you can get new ones for 15k onwards )

thx.

@santosh...

Thanks for the link..will try. Also any contact number for this "speaker Babu " Where exactly is he on sp road ?
Old 20th January 2007, 00:00   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
w12, for high end drivers, components in bangalore you can try - Corrson - India's only DIY Store for Hi-End Audio

Regarding (dirty?) job of assembling etc...he uses dainty (sourced from taiwan) for his "flagship" products! ....
Corrson has a limited range but you might find some of what you need there (midwoofer and tweeter). I doubt they will cost any less than a commercial speaker though. Think rs. 1500-2000 per driver.

Dainty! Wow I never thought I would find this name being mentioned on what is principaly a car forum. I think if oyu can lay your hands on Peerless (India) products you should be in good shape. PI makes some decent drivers only they availability is suspect.
Old 20th January 2007, 15:45   #207
BHPian

There is a AV show happening in Bangalore on 24th...at Kanteerava stadium... any Team-bhp'ians planning to head there?

Setup: Philips 29PT8836: 100Hz Component input 1080i, pixel plus..(totally rocks!!), Pioneer dvp 588A (sacd and dvd-audio..but where are they!)..Cambridge audio 540r v2..(damn good for music).. Mordauntshort 902i, polk audio sub....

As usual: The "to-buy" list: (There is always something to ruin my Bank balance): Center speakers, and surround,... if I win a lottery, then my current bookshelves go as surround!! and ofcourse I am on the lookout for dvd player that supports component video upscaling...
Old 20th January 2007, 21:59   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Corrson has a limited range but you might find some of what you need there (midwoofer and tweeter). I doubt they will cost any less than a commercial speaker though. Think rs. 1500-2000 per driver.

Dainty! Wow I never thought I would find this name being mentioned on what is principaly a car forum. I think if oyu can lay your hands on Peerless (India) products you should be in good shape. PI makes some decent drivers only they availability is suspect.
Navin, there is a guy in Mumbai who stocks certain lines of Peerless drivers. Ironically, even the drivers I supplied to you were purchased from him. Otherwise its difficult to get small quantities of drivers from Peerless.
Old 22nd January 2007, 22:28   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post

@santosh...

Thanks for the link..will try. Also any contact number for this "speaker Babu " Where exactly is he on sp road ?

I will PM you the details
Old 22nd January 2007, 22:34   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dainty! Wow I never thought I would find this name being mentioned on what is principaly a car forum.
yeah... but after all this thread belongs to "shifting gears" category and deals with home theater stuff

Most Viewed