Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 12:52   #2281
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

I have bought a Yamaha RX v667 on my trip to Singapore couple of years back, but due to space constraint and usability never got it hooked onto the speaker. Presently hunting for speakers and feel polk is the best pair. May someone suggest the best polk tower, center, surround and sub for my amp.
I was thinking the TSi 400, PSW110, whatelse and where to I look for a best deal in Chennai/Bangalore. I am okay with secondhand also (should I not?).
Old 26th December 2014, 15:18   #2282
BHPian

My suggestion is goto dealers like audiopeople and listen to few combination, then you can finalize which one. If you are not brand conscious, try Craftel Mark (google for contact), he customs makes speakers and I liked his latest range of speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
BTW - Just an update. i am getting that Philips Soundbat with detachable speakers for 37k through a friend whose relative is in Philips. Do you think it is a good buy at that price.
DEMO it please before you decide. Like I said the logic is good but I also read one negative review on its SQ, so better to check before you buy. Also, given that you are okay with building your system, why get a Nano when you can buy a Gypsy and make it a complete offroader once you have the space and cash

Note to mod: Forgot to multi-quote, please merge if you can.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th January 2015 at 08:30. Reason: Making it as one logical post.
Old 28th December 2014, 15:41   #2283
Senior - BHPian

I agree. I'll goto Croma and try to see if they have it.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:08   #2284
BHPian

I have been hunting for a decent home theater system from last couple of months.
I have a budget of 35k. Two brands that I have shortlisted are Yamaha and Sony.
Current equipment that I have is a LG 42" 3D LED TV and a PS3.
In two minds for whether to go with a 5.1 home theater system from Yamaha or a 5.1 Blue-ray/3D home theater from Sony.
From Yamaha I could see YHT196 or 1810 or 2910
From Sony I liked BDV-E3200 or BDV-E3100
I believe Yamaha will provide better sound quality but Sony is providing additional features like Bluetooth/NFC/Wi-fi

Drawbacks from Yamaha system is it comes as an amplifier system only and no DVD/Blueray inbuilt.

My use will be-
1. Occasional movie watching
2. Music to be played from USB, Bluetooth, CD/DVD

Please suggest what will be good option. Also any other brands/combination that can be considered within the price range. Don't want to build a system altogether from different components.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:40   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Please suggest what will be good option.
If you have the PS3 with bluray the best option ins Yamaha or something similar in the price range. Even if your PS3 doesnt have Bluray, getting a separate bluray player is recommended than an all in one.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 31st December 2014 at 15:46.
Old 31st December 2014, 17:26   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I have been hunting for a decent home theater system from last couple of months.
I have a budget of 35k. Two brands that I have shortlisted are Yamaha and Sony.

Please suggest what will be good option. Also any other brands/combination that can be considered within the price range. Don't want to build a system altogether from different components.
Yamaha YHT 196 is outdated. YHT 299 is the latest as per their website and it has a USB Slot. As far as i know, Yamaha has an active sub while Sony would have a passive one. And as per other AV Forums, there is just a minor difference between the 299 and the 2910, most people would go for the 299. I dont remember the difference though at the moment.

I have auditioned both, Yamaha and Sony HTIBs and Yamaha is way ahead in terms of SQ. Sony still sounds more like the Stereo systems of yesteryears when compared to the likes of Yamaha / Denon. The Denon HTIB is a notch above Yamaha and does not come with USB / BT, but the SQ is really better. The price was around 45k when i enquired last year, might have come down now.

I have also been hunting since last year. Heart says to go for a proper 5.1 like Denon / Yamaha but the work in my new house is done and as the ever forgetfull aamir khan in ghajini i forgot to make concealed provision for the wires. So now i am on a Soundbar Vs HTIB quest.

My 3 choices - Denon HTIB (dont remember the model no), Philips Fidelio HTL9100 and then Yamaha YHT 299 in that order.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 31st December 2014 at 17:27.
Old 2nd January 2015, 00:29   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Auditioned the Philips Fidelio and thank god for that. Absolute waste of money. Not even worth 20k. High distortion, pathetic clarity, too much unhealthy jarring bass. After removing the sides that serve as surrround speakers, the bass just nosedived and the surround sound also was not that impressive.

Next i auditioned Sony HT GT1. Priced at 17k, 2.1 soundbar party system and this sounded way better than the philips fidelio above. Worth a look if you are looking to enhance TV Sound and use it more for music. Sony has done a good job on controlling the bass even at higher volumes.

Then checked the JBL SB350 for 35k. Decent though not path breaking.

and to sum it all up, Bose Cinemate 15. 50k but i still feel this is the best if you want a soundbar. Crisp and clear with perfect bass. I personally feel it is worth it.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:12   #2288
BHPian

On my Yamaha Network AV Receiver, I have noticed that if one is listening to internet radio and switch to any other input, such as STB or Media Player etc, the receiver continues to use internet bandwidth (continues to remain connected to internet radio) in the background. This happens to my receiver atleast, if I dont power off the receiver and power on before switching to a different input. I found this because I noticed the modem lights indicating data download with nothing else connected and also noticed my FUP on my broadband connection reducing mysteriously. I have the latest firmware on my receiver btw. Wanted to share with others here.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:32   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have auditioned both, Yamaha and Sony HTIBs and Yamaha is way ahead in terms of SQ. Sony still sounds more like the Stereo systems of yesteryears when compared to the likes of Yamaha / Denon. The Denon HTIB is a notch above Yamaha and does not come with USB / BT, but the SQ is really better. The price was around 45k when i enquired last year, might have come down now.

I have also been hunting since last year. Heart says to go for a proper 5.1 like Denon / Yamaha but the work in my new house is done and as the ever forgetfull aamir khan in ghajini i forgot to make concealed provision for the wires. So now i am on a Soundbar Vs HTIB quest.
For 5.1 the wiring is a big challenge. Even I have that but for one time investment it should be fine. I have been also looking at the Yamaha Sound bars for simple layout. Have to audition the YSP series 1400/2500/2200,etc.
Didn't find it in any stores yet. Also probably bit on the higher side on the pricing front.
Old 4th January 2015, 13:42   #2290
BHPian

Went to A V Xcellence at D P Road, Pune yesterday to audition few Denon/Onkyo products.
The more I research and discuss with knowledgeable folks I am getting following recommendations.
When I was looking at Sony HT systems people recommended to go with something like a Yamaha HTiB. When I went looking for HtiB people recommended to go with combination of good AV receiver and combination of speakers. So overall budget has increased from 25k to 70/80k.
I personally like to invest in any product that is long lasting and does not become obsolete in a year or two. Also once I purchase something I rarely change/upgrade frequently. Considering this I have decided to go ahead with a combination of AV receiver and good combination of speakers.
Got a demo of Denon AV receiver and Paradigm speaker set.
Denon - AVR-X510BT is good capable AVR with added bluetooth functionality. Offers HDMI pass trough in standby mode. The speaker system that was shown was Paradigm Cinema 100CT.
Experts, please provide your opinion on this combo. Any other speaker system you would recommend?

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 4th January 2015 at 13:43.
Old 26th January 2015, 23:46   #2291
BHPian

Soundbars shops in Bangalore

Hi,
Am looking for 2 pieces of advice.
1. Am in the market for a sound bar. Not something over the top. Max budget of about 20k. Lesser the better. Have visited most showrooms in koramangala and marathahalli, but came across only 1 LG, 1Sony, 1 Samsung and 1 Philips sound bar. And no shop had more than 2 different brands on display. Does anyone have any first hand exp and recommendation for sound bars?
I am looking for a simple extra speaker to my TV, whose speakers are no longer any good.
2. Does anyone have recommendations on a good store which can help with the above purchase? Even Sony center and Samsung brand shops did not have a display unit of their own sound bars.
Thanks, kmadhok

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th January 2015 at 06:36. Reason: Typo
Old 27th January 2015, 05:07   #2292
BHPian

re: Soundbars shops in Bangalore

Just bought the Samsung HW-H450. It comes with the blue tooth sub-woofer. Sound quality is quite impressive.
I had tested the LG model in the same price range and found the samsung better.
Bought it from Reliance Digital, Chennai, so guess it should be available at Bangalore too.
Cost me Rs 18990/- plus around Rs 900/- for the HDMI cable. Worth the money spent, and now watching TV has become interesting, with the clearer sound and the required bass.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-img20150118wa0004.jpeg  

Old 27th January 2015, 11:28   #2293
Senior - BHPian

@kmadhok - Try auditioning the Cambridge Audio Minx Tv. It should fulfill all your tv audio requirements. It would be a grand or 2 more than your budget tops. Alternatively , the Wharfedale Vista soundbar is also worth a mention. or the BA TVee soundbar.
Old 30th January 2015, 14:53   #2294
BHPian

Re: Soundbars shops in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Just bought the Samsung HW-H450. It comes with the blue tooth sub-woofer. Sound quality is quite impressive.
I had tested the LG model in the same price range and found the samsung better.
Bought it from Reliance Digital, Chennai, so guess it should be available at Bangalore too.
Cost me Rs 18990/- plus around Rs 900/- for the HDMI cable. Worth the money spent, and now watching TV has become interesting, with the clearer sound and the required bass.
Thanks. Wouldn't a home theatre deliver a better sound experience at this price? (approx 20K). Have visited multiple Croma and Reliance Digital stores no luck with many soundbars. When I reach the 20K price range it appears a HTIB possible offers better sound exp. Happy to hear ppls thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron
@kmadhok - Try auditioning the Cambridge Audio Minx Tv. It should fulfill all your tv audio requirements. It would be a grand or 2 more than your budget tops. Alternatively , the Wharfedale Vista soundbar is also worth a mention. or the BA TVee soundbar.
I really need to hear the sound before I buy. Do you know of any place in bangalore I can audition these brands have not heard of them earlier.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:47   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can you suggest a decent powered Subwoofer around the 8K range? I've purchased a Pioneer AVR and have my existing Mordaunt Short floorstanders. I'm also getting the Micca MB42 as surrounds. I am just looking for a cheap, decent sub.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks