Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 13:05   #2701
BHPian

Re: Which Home theater system?

@GTO

Since you have gone way past your initial budget, you might as well go the whole hog and consider some isolation/vibration control devices under your speakers and audio equipment. You don't have to do it right now, plan for it down the line and you don't have to go for expensive stuff, even some basic spikes/cones from Lamington Road will work.

Later on you can take it a step further by experimenting with power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, if you want to get the absolute best from your system. Believe you me, it's one bad bad addition if you get hooked.

I just did a google search, and this site popped up, and it's in Mumbai !!! (looks expensive)

http://soundfoundations.in/

Have fun with your new system.
Old 8th September 2016, 13:30   #2702
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All 4 models listed here - Link. Which one would be properly powered by my amp?
Don't want to spend 60k on a subwoofer man.
1. None of those sub require your amp to power them. They ALL have palte amplifiers. something like this
http://www.parts-express.com/bash-30...w-rms--300-750

OT: HT DIY guys please avoid the YUNG series of plate amps at PE. They are terrible, unreliable, and erratic. I've blown 3 and they are unrepairable since the IC numbers have been erased.

2. GTO, please do NOT compare a subwoofer from REL to Polk.
Even the 660 (see link) wont hold a candle to a SVS, REL, or Velodyne.
http://www.profx.com/Polk/PoweredSubwoofers/DSWPRO660

I use the LMR 15 and 12 powered by Hypex amps because the RipCurl amps were not available at the time.
http://tcsounds.com/product/drivers/lms-r-driver/
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...fer-amplifier/

Check out this place for wall mounts and stands
https://www.tanotis.com/collections/speaker-mounts

TBHPian Magma owns SoundFoundations
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/magma.html

Last edited by navin : 8th September 2016 at 13:37.
Old 8th September 2016, 13:57   #2703
BHPian

Quote:

Hall is ~600 sq ft (but sitting area is right in the middle....and TV at an extreme end). ?

Don't want to spend 60k on a subwoofer man.
Since your room is large and you are addicted to 'thub thub' entry level subs will not satisfy you as you have yourself mentioned. Your choice of DSW PRO 660 shall be least you will require. If Pro Fx people can arrange demo at your place then you can have an idea. Pro Fx room at their worli showroom is small which I had visited couple of years back.
Even I started with budget of 40k for 5.1 system but realised its not sufficient for my modest 200 sq feet room as I also wanted good bass sound.
Now I have Wharfedale Diamond 220 LCR and SVS PB1000 subwoofer (all costing 80k) and old Sony bookshelf as surround paired with Yamaha Rxv 677 built step by step over a year. The sound in movie is just fantastic.
Old 8th September 2016, 15:39   #2704
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All 4 models listed here - Link. Which one would be properly powered by my amp?
Why go for one of those Polks again ?
It won't matter that your other speakers are Polk or that you have the Denon AVR. These are active/powered Subs, so don't get stuck with a Polk for this one.

Look at REL or Velodyne, they are nice!
Old 8th September 2016, 16:55   #2705
Team-BHP Support

GTO,

Sub 40K the Polk 660 are decent. Surely they wont compete with a SVS or REL but those are 60K and above. I believe the small 10" PB1000 from SVS sells for 52-55K or around that. You had a Tata Nano/800 (and were happy with it), you started out shopping for a Ford Figo, ended up buying a Honda City and REL/SVS are more like Camry category...yes there are audio products that can stretch all the way to a Buggatti. I have seen 50L speaker systems in Mumbai itself. So draw a line somewhere. As long as you enjoy your music and movies it's all good. People forget that the software is where it's at. I can point you to any number of professional musicians who own surprisingly ordinary audio systems and are pretty cool with that.

Under 40K there is the JBL 260.
http://htstore.in/index.php?route=pr...product_id=222

But since you already have a good relationship with Pro FX, my suggestion would be to cut a deal with them for the center and sub. I am sure they will oblige you with a good discount. In the end it is all about value FOR money.

Last edited by navin : 8th September 2016 at 17:02.
Old 8th September 2016, 20:11   #2706
BHPian

Posted wrongly in another thread. My Yamaha AVR took out a second tv of mine when I wanted to check if the issue would occur in a different setup:(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4052708
Old 9th September 2016, 10:46   #2707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Posted wrongly in another thread. My Yamaha AVR took out a second tv of mine when I wanted to check if the issue would occur in a different setup:(
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4052708
diyguy,

I read that post. Since this is the HT thread I will answer here. The video card of your AVR is damaged. I don't know how. This is very rare. Do you know a trusted 3rd party repair person? My guess is it is just an IC that is gone.
Old 9th September 2016, 10:55   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The video card of your AVR is damaged. I don't know how. This is very rare. Do you know a trusted 3rd party repair person? My guess is it is just an IC that is gone.
Navin, thanks for the reply. I spoke to the authorized service center and am visiting them tomorrow. Don't know any other repair person. I wonder why the AVR should mess up other TVs or devices connected via hdmi. I realized that my hall Bose Cinemate is also not working though the power indicator light is on, there is no volume. This was after the reddish tint on the Sony tv. The Sony tv now seems back to normal and am not getting the red tint so far. Unsure though if it was a temporary glitch or something more permanent. The Sony service guy is supposed to visit today/tomorrow too.
Read up a bit on hdmi spikes and thunder storms. Apparently longer hdmi cables can pick up residual charge from the atmosphere and mess with the ports. I don't know if this is my situation but I had a 50ft cable connected to my projector in parallel to the tv in my bedroom.
Old 9th September 2016, 12:10   #2709
BHPian

Friends, A small advice I got regarding HDMI plug n play cables from Sony long back.. Never connect the HDMI cable to any HDMI port when the device is ON. Always switch off and connect. Have been doing this ever since and not faced a problem. Hope you all know this.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:49   #2710
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My family watched a movie last night. They said 'wow, the sound quality is really amazing'. My response 'wait till you see what else is coming. This is just the beginning '.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Since you have gone way past your initial budget, you might as well go the whole hog and consider some isolation/vibration control devices under your speakers and audio equipment.
Subwoofer needs this? When I play the music loud, my JBL subwoofer makes the windows shake & rattle.

Quote:
Don't forget a MATCHING center and a pair of small surrounds.
Quote:
I believe GTO is looking at the matching center aka 250C from Polk.
Is this the one you recommend? 250C is a good match to the 440s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Your choice of DSW PRO 660 shall be least you will require.
Quote:
Sub 40K the Polk 660 are decent.
Went & heard the Polk 660. What bass man! Proper disco-like thub thub. Order placed.

Quote:
You had a Tata Nano/800 (and were happy with it), you started out shopping for a Ford Figo, ended up buying a Honda City
Dude, I came to you guys with a budget of 40k. With the subwoofer added, I'm already at 1.4 lakhs. Next up are the center & rear speakers which'll take the system to 2 lakhs.

Come to me for car advice next time Navin. I'll make you triple your budget .

Seriously though, considering how much I enjoy movies, this has been a good investment.

Quote:
As long as you enjoy your music and movies it's all good. People forget that the software is where it's at.
So true! The real fun is Robert De Niro on the screen, not the speakers. I can even watch a movie on my laptop and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Look at REL or Velodyne, they are nice!
Heard the 660. Sold!
Old 10th September 2016, 11:35   #2711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My family watched a movie last night. They said 'wow, the sound quality is really amazing'. My response 'wait till you see what else is coming. This is just the beginning '.

Is this the one you recommend? 250C is a good match to the 440s?

Went & heard the Polk 660. What bass man! Proper disco-like thub thub. Order placed.

Come to me for car advice next time Navin. I'll make you triple your budget .

So true! The real fun is Robert De Niro on the screen, not the speakers. I can even watch a movie on my laptop and enjoy it.
Good your family enjoyed the audio. With the center, sub and rears added it will be another level.

The 250C is the matching center for both the 440 towers and 550 towers.
see post 29 here. Mumbaikar Suhas Kelkar got virtually what you are getting
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...-tsx-550t.html

Hey you did recommend the Camry. I had a 10L budget! This is payback. Just kidding.

Once rears and sub are in, get your family to watch The Wall (Pink Floyd), Jurassic Park or T2 or things in these genres. I'd add Platoon too but I don't think that's a family movie per se.
Old 10th September 2016, 12:11   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Subwoofer needs this? When I play the music loud, my JBL subwoofer makes the windows shake & rattle. !
If it was me, I would get spikes/cones for all speakers and equipment, but you can start with the sub.

I have no idea where you have placed the sub, but just plonking it in a corner may not be ideal. Go through the link below and try and find an acceptable spot that sounds the best before you move to investing in spike and cones.

"Some Quick Words of Advice:

Move your subwoofer as close as you can to where you sit. If it's a chair, move the chair aside and place the sub in the spot where the chair was. If it's a couch, slide the couch temporarily out of the way and put the sub about where you usually sit.
Play a DVD with lots of low-frequency effects or a CD with plenty of deep bass, the kind that really kicks your sub into serious bass output. Get out the knee pads and crawl about the room in the general area where you were thinking of locating the sub.

Go several yards in each direction--near the wall, out from the wall, towards a corner, away from the corner, and so on--while you listen for smooth and extended deep bass response, free of exaggeration and "one-note" boom. Mark the spot, then move the subwoofer into that position. Now put the furniture back. If you are using two subwoofers, mark two locations and place the subs in those two positions."

Even pulling/pushing your mains, front/back and side/side by a few inches can make a huge difference.

http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...ent-guidelines
Old 10th September 2016, 14:20   #2713
BHPian

The Home Theater thread

Quote:
lThe video card of your AVR is damaged.
Yamaha is asking 2400rs to look at the receiver and over that any board cost. Wondering if I should just use it with optical audio in and not use the hdmi or video capabilities at all. I can use the multiple hdmi ports of my tv anyway to change sources. It's a crying shame but that I won't be getting the upscaling capability.
I opened up the receiver and cleaned the dust off and don't see any burnt parts or any kind of visible damage.
Attachment 1552731

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2016 at 13:44. Reason: FYI, the image hasn't been uploaded successfully
Old 10th September 2016, 17:29   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

I just recently bought a Sony Home theatre system. The system has one HDMI ARC output and Optical output. I have connected the HDMI port of Sony to HDMI port of my LG Plasma TV. However the TV audio output did not not come out of the home theatre speakers. The settings in the TV and the Sony were explored and nothing happened. The technician confirmed that Sony HDMI ARC port compatibility is just with Sony Bravia series TV. He suggested me to get an Optical cable and connect to the optical ports of Sony and LG. However the output from TV is played on the speakers but even at the max Sony volume the audio output is very feeble. The connections in the TV and Sony are all checked and OK.

Am I doing something wrong in the connections? How to resolve this issue? Have raised this with Sony Service centre, they are yet to respond.
Old 10th September 2016, 17:54   #2715
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Am I doing something wrong in the connections? How to resolve this issue? Have raised this with Sony Service centre, they are yet to respond.
Your Sony AVR will have one of the HDMI ports marked ARC, use this to connect the HDMI cable and connect the other end to the HDMI port of your LG TV that is marked for ARC (Check TV manual if not clear, usually one of the HDMI ports will be designated for ARC).
To test this, turn TV and AVR on and select the Home theater or similar option on the TVs speaker or audio menu and you should hear sound on your home theatre speakers.

Last edited by NPV : 10th September 2016 at 17:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks