Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 11:21   #2821
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Anyone has experience with soundbars? I'm trying to add a soundbar to my new LG TV. The TV audio is good enough, but I want to add a soundbar for that extra bass and clarity. My budget is around 35K and my options based on some research online, are
1. Philips HTL5160B
2. Vizio SB3821-C6, ordering on ebay.com, shipped from US.
3. JBL SB350
4. Sony HT-CT790

I'm only looking at soundbars with a separate wireless Subwoofer. Has anyone used any of the above? How would you rate them? I'm mainly looking for a more musical bar with tight bass than an all-out movie sound effect.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:18   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
[u]....., is it okay to go ahead with a sound bar that has full range driver?
What did you select?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
1. Philips HTL5160B
2. Vizio SB3821-C6, ordering on ebay.com, shipped from US.
3. JBL SB350
4. Sony HT-CT790
No personal experience, but I am also eyeing the SB350 on snapdeal. It is a wait-and-watch game though. The price was Rs. 14000 last year.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:56   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
No personal experience, but I am also eyeing the SB350 on snapdeal. It is a wait-and-watch game though. The price was Rs. 14000 last year.
Are you sure it came down to 14K? or are you talking about SB150? The SB350 is hovering around 25K in Snapdeal and Amazon is 30K.
Old 19th October 2016, 17:32   #2824
BHPian

Thought of sharing this link , lots of nice clip downloads to test your Speakers / Surround sound setups.

http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/
Old 19th October 2016, 19:41   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The SB350 is hovering around 25K in Snapdeal and Amazon is 30K.
I have been tracking sb350 for last one year and it has been hovering around 21k+. The best price was during the sale recently where 20% discount on citibank cards made it an enticing offer indeed. 14k offer was during Oct 15 and that too for a very short time.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:21   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a doubt regarding speaker wiring.

My 5.1 will be kept in the living room. The surround speakers will be at approx 10 feet from the AVR. I was thinking to get a permanent wiring done for the surrounds. As in while getting the false ceiling done, I will get wires routed from near the AVR to the speaker placement area. Now ends will terminate in connectors and I will use another wire to run from the AVR to this connector on one end and the speaker wire connected directly to the other end connector. Is it OK to have two connections in the wiring between the AVR and speaker or am I looking at some loss in quality due to not using one complete wire from the AVR to speaker.
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:09   #2827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Is it OK to have two connections in the wiring between the AVR and speaker or am I looking at some loss in quality due to not using one complete wire from the AVR to speaker.
I am no expert but have seen this same setup in the audition rooms of stores. I also believe the quality of the connectors and pins will help here, if you purchase a good brand, you should be okay.
Old 24th October 2016, 10:46   #2828
BHPian

Auditioned some soundbars including couple of Philips and JBLs. At the end of the day, I was not happy with what I heard. Most of the soundbars were slightly harsh to my liking and it made sense since the drivers are too small in most of them and only the high end ones have bigger drivers. Even the JBL350 was a let down in terms of musicality with a price tag of 46K at the store. So I decided to go for a good set of Bookshelf speakers and ended up ordering a pair of Wharfedale 220s online. I do not want to buy a full blown AV receiver since I would not be hooking up a lot of stuff on it anyways. All I need now is a decent and budget amplifier to run the 220s. The 220s have a power handling of 25-100W at 8 ohms.

@audio gurus here
Can you suggest me a good stereo amplifier with possibly a bluetooth feature which can drive the 220s well?

I have found couple of options online on Amazon US site:

FX Audio D802C
https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-D802...f_rd_i=desktop

and

SMSL Q5-Pro
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Q5-Pro-b...ds=smsl+q5+pro

The Q5s have better reviews, however is lower on power compared to the FX Audio and hence not really sure if they can do justice to the 220s. Can someone suggest a good amplifier for my needs. I tried sourcing the Yamaha R-S202BL, but the product is currently out of stock with the dealer and he doesn't know when he is going to get it. 21K was the final price he quoted for that.
Old 24th October 2016, 14:52   #2829
BHPian

Hi Folks, I am looking to replace my 8 year old Sony Home Theater with a Blu Ray Player and Sound Bar.

Seeking suggestions on a good sound bar under 25K

I auditioned the JBL SB250 and found it suitable for the size of the room. I am only concerned about the lack of connectivity options, i.e. absence of a HDMI port. Can that be a deal breaker. I am new to Sound Bars, thus not sure and any guidance would be welcome

Also, what other options are available in this price range?
Old 24th October 2016, 15:34   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am no expert but have seen this same setup in the audition rooms of stores. I also believe the quality of the connectors and pins will help here, if you purchase a good brand, you should be okay.
Thanks. If they are good enough for audition rooms, I guess will do good for me too. Need to look out now for some good brands of cables and connectors.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:58   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, a doubt regarding speaker wiring.

My 5.1 will be kept in the living room. The surround speakers will be at approx 10 feet from the AVR. I was thinking to get a permanent wiring done for the surrounds. As in while getting the false ceiling done, I will get wires routed from near the AVR to the speaker placement area. Now ends will terminate in connectors and I will use another wire to run from the AVR to this connector on one end and the speaker wire connected directly to the other end connector. Is it OK to have two connections in the wiring between the AVR and speaker or am I looking at some loss in quality due to not using one complete wire from the AVR to speaker.
Why don't you just do the internal piping and leave it ? Later you can insert the wire.
Or even if you have to insert the wire now itself, you can get the entire length of wire. Just roll up the extra wire at the AMP end and leave it taped up. Later you can cut it to the required length when you setup all the devices.

For surround sound speakers as long as the wire is good I guess a join should be fine, won't make much of a difference unless you are talking about audiophile quality speakers running into lakhs.
Old 24th October 2016, 18:07   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Why don't you just do the internal piping and leave it ? Later you can insert the wire.
Or even if you have to insert the wire now itself, you can get the entire length of wire. Just roll up the extra wire at the AMP end and leave it taped up. Later you can cut it to the required length when you setup all the devices.

For surround sound speakers as long as the wire is good I guess a join should be fine, won't make much of a difference unless you are talking about audiophile quality speakers running into lakhs.
No no actually I have just finalised a new flat and were planning how to get the interiors done. I already have the speakers and the system. Did not want the wires to be spread loose on the floor hence thought of routing them through the false ceiling. If I get the wiring done now, from TV unit (where AVR will sit) till the Surround speaker location all I need to do is make the final connections when I move in.

The speakers are not remotely audiophile quality. They were a part of my Sony Hi Fi system which I have clubbed to a Pioneer AVR.
Old 25th October 2016, 12:00   #2833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I get the wiring done now, from TV unit (where AVR will sit) till the Surround speaker location all I need to do is make the final connections when I move in.
Just leave about 1m spare wire at the AVR end and 1/2 meter at the speaker end so you have room for adjustment.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:25   #2834

Looking forward to a place in Pune for sound experience and then buying! Any suggestions? Budget depends on 'experience' and 'financing options'! Looking for AVR + Speaker combos for my home! Tried Reliance Digital stores at multiple locations, but to no avail! Either they don't know how to connect and play Yamaha YHT 196s OR they don't face enough people who asks for it! YHT 196 Demo piece (especially the center piece) didn't sound good! They didn't have 2910 or 299 for a demo! Tried Croma as well! They tried pushing Bose! Bose is way too expensive for the experience, especially now that they have discontinued Cinematic 15 option! There was one piece on sale in Snapdeal yesterday, which someone lifted . I've heard about 'The Sound Factor' in Camp...any experience, cost etc...are they only or the hi-fi? I'm not an Audio professional. Its for the home experience of Movies and Music, both!
Old 7th November 2016, 20:42   #2835
BHPian

I have a pair of Polk Audio TSI 300 speakers and I am looking for a suitable stereo amplifier for them. I have zeroed down on to Marantz PM 50005 and Norge 2060. While I will get to buy Marantz from a dealer with 1 year warranty, Norge 2060 will be shipped from Mumbai by Norge. I believe Norge 2060 costs ~ Rs. 11,000/- while Marantz PM5005 will come to around Rs. 22,000.

Request inputs on which of them will be a better option.

Most Viewed