Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 19:54   #316
BHPian

Advise required - Avantgarde Solo (horn) speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post

Any feedback from people who own/have auditioned/heard horn speakers,esp.from Avantgarde Acoustic (Germany) . Navin/B&T/Determinus : any comments/feedback...by the way Solo home theatre 5.1 speakers MRP is INR 2.5L approx. & is the entry level range in the avantgarde portfolio..
Dear Sirjees,

I await feedback from audio gurus on horn speakers - 'Solo' from Avantgarde (Avantgarde Gesellschaft für Kommunikation mbH) . A pair is going to cost INR 2.25 L plus.. please help me to make the right decision..as lot of my "khoon paseene ka money" is on the line..Navin,B&T jee lease do share your know - how on horn speakers..
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:35   #317
BHPian

My First proper home theater/Stereo - please help me choose.

Hi friends,

I have finally decided to take the plunge on something that I have wanted in a long time.

My present HT system is an entry-level 5.1 speakers Creative Inspire 5200 with the Philips DVP5965K/94 DVD player.

Inspire 5.1 5200

and

DVP5965K/96 DVD and home theater Home entertainment Philips

Now, I am going to Calcutta on the 9th of June to check out what best I can buy on a limited starting budget of 40K or so. (I can get nothing decent here).

I like my music (Country, soft rock, rock, a little classical) and I love my movies as well, 50% - 50%, but I listen to more of music as it does not take 2 hours of my time all at once!

I have talked to some of the shops in Calcutta over the phone and here are some thing that I am looking at:

1. Denon 1507 Denon USA | AVR-1507 + Denon SYS 76-HT DENON Malta | Home Audio Components for 40K.

2. Denon 1507 (24,900) + 2 bookshelves for now.

Bookshelve options.

Polk polkaudio - RTi Series - RTi 4 (Rs 14,500)

Polk polkaudio - RTi Series - RTi 6 (Rs 21,500)

KEF KEF - XQ Series - iQ 1 (Rs 18,700)

Later invest in sub and surround speakers.

2. Another option would be going for a stereo amp.

a) Cambridge Audio 540A or 640A
SKS Traders, audiophile shop in Kolkata for audiophile equipments and CD players

Any idea with prices anyone?

b) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 bookshelves @12,500/-

3. Sonodyne

a) Stereo setup.

Home Audio > Sonus Series (? Price)

and Sonodyne Sonus speakers Home Audio > Sonus Series (?Price)

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Sonodyne? I have seen two Sonodyne amps with friends years back, but the sound used to start crackling after a few months - not sure how much has changed now.

b) I also have the option of going for Sonodyne's home theater package called Sonique Home Audio > Cinque Series

c) or just take the receiver Home Audio > AV Series
and sonus speakers.

4. Onkyo - A friend of mine insist I see them as well; I don't know if I should take a look.

Note: One of the places, SKS Traders, stocks AV receivers from NAD/Marantz/Cambridge and Stereo Amps from Cambridge (540, 640), NAD (C320 BEE, C352)...

SKS Traders, audiophile shop in Kolkata for audiophile equipments and CD players

5. Listen to Bose as well? <please don't bash>

Whatever I am going to buy, I will listen to them and see what suits me most. I have not too much time at hand to do a LOT of listening (I have a couple of hours on Saturday, most of Sunday, maybe 2 hours on Monday), so I have to visit the shops, listen, and move on to the next in a fairly short period of time. Still, just wanted your opinions. I don't like Loud music/sound - I want something warm, something that will allow me to listen to the subtle switching of chords on the guitar, something that won't overwhelm me in movies. My present room is 12' x 16' size, but this is a rented place and I will move in due time and plan to have a slightly larger room for the music and the movies, so I want to be able to use the same stuff when I move.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I wanted to listen to the Norge amp and speakers, but unfortunately they don't have a vendor in Calcutta.

Last edited by johy : 23rd May 2007 at 12:39.
Old 28th May 2007, 18:01   #318
Senior - BHPian

I am on a shoe string budget (== Rs 10k.. dont laugh!!). I just need a 5.1 set + DVD/Divx player. Should I go for Sony or LG or Philips? I have a Samsung 29" TV already.

Also, Can anyone recommend a good place in Pune to buy?
Old 28th May 2007, 18:32   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Should I go for Sony or LG or Philips?
Compared to the brands mentioned above i suggest sony, as the sound clarity in sony is unbeatable by either LG or Philips. (IMHO).

I just bought my Sony 5.1 HT a month back for 20k. DAV-DZ520K.

In your 10k budget i doubt u can get a sony though, unless there are some sales going on to dispose outdated models. Thats how i got mine for 10k less. Philips can be the next choice which has HT systems (virtual HT) in even 4k range (5.1 system).
Old 28th May 2007, 19:03   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
In your 10k budget i doubt u can get a sony though, unless there are some sales going on to dispose outdated models. Thats how i got mine for 10k less. Philips can be the next choice which has HT systems (virtual HT) in even 4k range (5.1 system).
Thanks. From ur linky, I found another model at approx 10k . Sony India - like no other

Let me check out whats available in the nearest Sony World.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:43   #321
BHPian

Why dont you buy the artis x-10 mini Artis Computer Speakers :: Kunhar Peripherals Pvt Ltdinstead.It is much better than the sony whose quotted 400 rms figure seems likely or even the z-5300 are good speakers Surround - 5.1 > Logitech® Z-5300e or even the wharfadle diamond mentioned in one of the earlier posts.

Last edited by revvedup : 28th May 2007 at 22:47.
Old 30th May 2007, 11:06   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Why dont you buy the artis x-10 mini Artis Computer Speakers :: Kunhar Peripherals Pvt Ltdinstead.It is much better than the sony whose quotted 400 rms figure seems likely or even the z-5300 are good speakers Surround - 5.1 > Logitech® Z-5300e or even the wharfadle diamond mentioned in one of the earlier posts.
They dont include the DVD player, which I need to buy seperately.

Besides, its moot point now. I bought myself a Sony DAV-DZ120K (Sony India - like no other . It does not have HDMI output. But then, I dont plan to buy LCD/Plasma/Projection TV for a long long time, till they are dirt cheap and I can mate them with a Blue Ray player.
Old 6th June 2007, 00:52   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
what best I can buy on a limited starting budget of 40K or so... I like my music (Country, soft rock, rock, a little classical) and I love my movies as well, 50% - 50%, but I listen to more of music as it does not take 2 hours of my time all at once!

I want something warm, something that will allow me to listen to the subtle switching of chords on the guitar, something that won't overwhelm me in movies.
Cant you get a Denon 1906/1907 for ~30k? Now, you can go for a speaker package to get your HT kicking, but since your inclination is towards music -- warm -- I would suggest go for a pair of bookshelves for now. And dont look beyond iQ. If you are very strict about your budget, Diamond 9.1 will do (I suspect it is less than 12k). Mordant also has a 10k pair that is decent.

Tip: If you are getting Wharfedale, then getting the brighter but cheaper Yamaha AV series amp would also work, as Wharfs are very laid back.

Sonodyne makes good speakers, but I havent heard anything about their amps. Stereo amps like Azur or NAD are very good but they are not expandable to an HT. But if you are not keen on the movie side, get a 540 Azur for 24k and KEF iQ for 18k, and you should be done! (And how)
Old 6th June 2007, 00:58   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Besides, its moot point now. I bought myself a Sony DAV-DZ120K
I would have preferred the discontinued DZ550, which goes for really good discounts (50%) which brings the cost close to 120K. At 15k that set is a huge value for money. Sony may not be the best, but I am glad you didnt buy the other branded tin boxes
Old 6th June 2007, 01:27   #325

Reciever : Denon AVR-3806 (6.1)
Center : Klipsch RC-35 (125 watt RMS)
Front: Klipsch SF-3 (150 watt RMS)
Rear: Klipsch SS-3 (110 Watt RMS)
Subwoofer : Definitive Super cube II (I have done a mistake purchasing this sub and am trying to trade it for a Klipsch RW-12 but have not been lucky till now, Guys please help me if some body know a vendor who has this model..)
Old 6th June 2007, 04:30   #326
Senior - BHPian

Heres my setup

Room 1

29" Sony Wega

and

Sony DAV DZ120K

which includes a DVD/Divx player and 5 142w satellites and a 140 sub

Room 2

21" Sony Wega

and

an Xbox 360
Old 6th June 2007, 08:04   #327
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks,

I am in the process of constructing my house from scratch and now it has reached a stage where I need to start thinking about my home theatre setup. My budget is about 2 - 2.5 lakhs. The room size is 20 x 16ft. I am planning to go in for a 8 x 6ft projector setup with a 5.1 sound setup. I am not looking at a 7.1 setup as I think it will be an overkill for space that I have available. I have looked at various brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Tannoy. I would like to get some inputs and reviews about these brands. I personally liked the Tannoy the best but have not been able to decide.

TIA
Old 6th June 2007, 08:57   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Hey folks,

I am in the process of constructing my house from scratch and now it has reached a stage where I need to start thinking about my home theatre setup.

TIA
Have you made provisions for the hidden cabling for the surround speakers? Its a real pain to drag the cables all over your living room, just so that the surround speakers are located behind you. Of course, there are wireless surround speakers. But the not so expensive ones use infrared, which probably means line of sight connectivity.
Old 6th June 2007, 09:01   #329
Senior - BHPian

Yes all the provisions for every type of cabling possible has been made.
Old 6th June 2007, 09:46   #330
BHPian

I have recently setup my home theater as follows.

Denon 1507 AV receiver
Wharfedale speakers 5.1 setup (Diamond 9.1/SR with SW150 subwoofer)
Philips 5965K DVD player
Monster cables

Waiting for diwali discounts to buy a flat panel TV

And yes, I do have two pairs of professional grade Grado wireless headphones as well.

Last edited by appuchan : 6th June 2007 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks