Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 15:48   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Denon 1507 AV receiver
Wharfedale speakers 5.1 setup (Diamond 9.1/SR with SW150 subwoofer)
Philips 5965K DVD player
Monster cables
Congrats ! Mind sharing the price paid for the equipment ?
Old 6th June 2007, 16:36   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
I would have preferred the discontinued DZ550, which goes for really good discounts (50%) which brings the cost close to 120K. At 15k that set is a huge value for money. Sony may not be the best, but I am glad you didnt buy the other branded tin boxes
Actually, I didnt want to go for ones with the speaker stands. My living room (ahem.. rented living room.. I cant rip stuff out ) has woodwork done for placing the TV, DVD and all related stuff. It would be awkward to place speakers with stands in a sensible place.. now all the speakers sit on the woodwork in line with the TV. Not an ideal setup, considering surrounds should be behind my ears.. but I dont want tangling up the living room with messy wiring.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:22   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Hey folks,

The room size is 20 x 16ft. I am planning to go in for a 8 x 6ft projector setup with a 5.1 sound setup. Yamaha, Onkyo, Tannoy. I personally liked the Tannoy the best but have not been able to decide.

TIA
For that room size, please ensure you have floorstanders for the fronts. Dont go for the satellite ones. And yeah projector is an awesome choice. Neither plasmas or LCDs can give that kind of an experience. One of my relatives also went in for room acoustical surfaces. That will reduce the echo (if its a basement, it will echo a lot. Please do check). Wall-wall carpets are also suggested by most of the 'experts'. In other words, there may be other

You cant go wrong with either Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/etc for receivers. BTW, as per this issue of what hifi mag, there is a NAD receiver which has been released recently and supposed to be available for around 36K in UK (should be around the same here too). Price looks too tempting for a NAD. I havent heard a NAD receiver though.(I am just guessing based on their stereo amps). May be worth checking it out.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:24   #334
BHPian

This is my present HT setup...

42inch Toshiba Plasma TV

Pioneer HTZ232DVD
S-DV232T Speaker System
Features:::
- RMS: 60W x 6 (satellite x 5, subwoofer)
- 3 functions (DVD/CD, Tuner, Line)
- DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/VCD/SVCD/DTS-CD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW player
- Progressive Scan (PAL/NTSC)
- Built-in DTS/Dolby Digital Decoder
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- DivX Playback
- WMA (Windows Media Audio)
- MP3 Playback
- Photo Viewer (JPEG Playback*)
- FM/AM 30 Preset Stations
- 7.7cm + 2cm 2-way Front Speakers
- 7.7cm Center Speaker
- 7.7cm Surround Speakers
- 16cm Subwoofer

Last edited by furioussphinx : 7th June 2007 at 01:29. Reason: addition of pics
Old 7th June 2007, 12:07   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Hey folks,

I am in the process of constructing my house from scratch and now it has reached a stage where I need to start thinking about my home theatre setup. My budget is about 2 - 2.5 lakhs. The room size is 20 x 16ft. I am planning to go in for a 8 x 6ft projector setup with a 5.1 sound setup. I am not looking at a 7.1 setup as I think it will be an overkill for space that I have available. I have looked at various brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Tannoy. I would like to get some inputs and reviews about these brands. I personally liked the Tannoy the best but have not been able to decide.

TIA
Vikram,

Hi! First of all congratulations for setting up new house as well as for home theatre set up planning! For projectors,there is a separate thread,please do go through it for recommendations/suggesitons on the same. Suffice to say a decent projector will cost around 70-80K but the movie,gaming impact will be mind blowing in a darkened,dedicated room with good home theatre system.Reg. receivers lot has been said..Suffice to say Yamaha/Onkyo/Marantz/NAD/Pioneer ahould fit the bill. But I will urge you to please decide on the speaker package & depending on the sound of speakers (warm,lush,laid back etc) & the sensitivity/impedance match it to the receiver.

Please also mention whether HTS will be used for movies only or music as well & what %age will be dedicated to either?? Personal suggestion is to go for good speaker pacakge..Invest in good floor standers because you have a decent room size. Followed by matching centre speakers/surround speaker pair & a decent subwoofer,preferrably all from the same make. Enough has been said on speakers pacakges by t-bhp audio experts on this thread on speakers. I am sure you will not have to look beyond the suggested speakers on this thread based on your budget. Typically your budget should look like this (all approx figures & assuming you have a decent CD/DVD player) :

Speaker package : 75-90k
Projector with screen - 1L
AV Receiver - 35-40K
Cabling/inter - connects - 15K

Get a good movie , a decent recliner or a couch,get your loved ones around & you are on for the great AV treat! Pls do let us know what you finally decide to shortlist & the experience of auditioning the products..In case you want some brands suggestions to suit your budget do ask ! Happy hunting!
Old 7th June 2007, 12:50   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
In other words, there may be other
Looks like I was a bit too sleepy yesterday. Let me complete that sentence today

In other words, there may be other costs involved apart from the usual costs.
Old 7th June 2007, 20:00   #337
BHPian

I listen to music more often than watch a movie so I prefer a stereo setup to multichannel. These are the equipments that I own.

Pioneer PDP-5060HD plasma display
Denon DVD-2910
Musical Fidelity kW500 stereo amp 510 watts per channel into 8ohms
JM lab Electra 927BE floorstanding speakers
Revel performa B15a subwoofer
Nordost: Blue Heaven cables
Old 7th June 2007, 20:39   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
I listen to music more often than watch a movie so I prefer a stereo setup to multichannel. These are the equipments that I own.

Pioneer PDP-5060HD plasma display
Denon DVD-2910
Musical Fidelity kW500 stereo amp 510 watts per channel into 8ohms
JM lab Electra 927BE floorstanding speakers
Revel performa B15a subwoofer
Nordost: Blue Heaven cables
Hi Yogesh,

Must say your audio set up is awesome! MF KW 500, JM Labs speakers are favourites of some of the audio connoisseurs on the forum. Wow! I love the speakers from JM Labs though haven't heard the 927BE.. How does the music sound with MF JM Labs combo?? JM Labs would tend to be on the warm side..what kind of music you listen to on them..where did you procure the excellent components from?? Certainly not locally I think ..Its rare to have MF KW 500 amp. there are so few of them which came out in the market. would love to have set up like that..
Old 8th June 2007, 08:18   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Vikram,

Hi! First of all congratulations for setting up new house as well as for home theatre set up planning! For projectors,there is a separate thread,please do go through it for recommendations/suggesitons on the same. Suffice to say a decent projector will cost around 70-80K but the movie,gaming impact will be mind blowing in a darkened,dedicated room with good home theatre system.Reg. receivers lot has been said..Suffice to say Yamaha/Onkyo/Marantz/NAD/Pioneer ahould fit the bill. But I will urge you to please decide on the speaker package & depending on the sound of speakers (warm,lush,laid back etc) & the sensitivity/impedance match it to the receiver.

Please also mention whether HTS will be used for movies only or music as well & what %age will be dedicated to either?? Personal suggestion is to go for good speaker pacakge..Invest in good floor standers because you have a decent room size. Followed by matching centre speakers/surround speaker pair & a decent subwoofer,preferrably all from the same make. Enough has been said on speakers pacakges by t-bhp audio experts on this thread on speakers. I am sure you will not have to look beyond the suggested speakers on this thread based on your budget. Typically your budget should look like this (all approx figures & assuming you have a decent CD/DVD player) :

Speaker package : 75-90k
Projector with screen - 1L
AV Receiver - 35-40K
Cabling/inter - connects - 15K

Get a good movie , a decent recliner or a couch,get your loved ones around & you are on for the great AV treat! Pls do let us know what you finally decide to shortlist & the experience of auditioning the products..In case you want some brands suggestions to suit your budget do ask ! Happy hunting!
Ash,

My usage is going to be for both music and movies almost equally. I plan to buy a set of separate stereo speakers for the music part and a set of 5.1 for the movies and games part. I already have a 5000 lumens projector with a semi-sutomatic screen. So the budget i spoke about is excluding the projector and screen. As far as the recliners are concerned I am going in for a few huge 4 seater low couches (a kind of low divans kind of setup). I'm going today to check out the JBL/ Harmon Kardon ranges today.
Old 8th June 2007, 08:40   #340
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the a new post but the projector is a 3500 lumens with 10000:1 contrast ratio Hitachi make.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:25   #341
BHPian

Here's mine
T.V: Philips 36"
Speakers :Wharfedale Evolution series; Evo 30 Towers for the front, bookshelves at the rear
Subwoofer: Velodyne
A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX - V1400 (110W X 7) RMS
DVD :Pioneer
Cables : DAC interconnects for the fronts and the sub, DAC regular for the rears
Old 8th June 2007, 14:56   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the a new post but the projector is a 3500 lumens with 10000:1 contrast ratio Hitachi make.
How much did you pay for the projector? We're planning on buying one for our home theater.

Shan2nu
Old 8th June 2007, 19:37   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Hi Yogesh,

Must say your audio set up is awesome! MF KW 500, JM Labs speakers are favourites of some of the audio connoisseurs on the forum. Wow! I love the speakers from JM Labs though haven't heard the 927BE.. How does the music sound with MF JM Labs combo?? JM Labs would tend to be on the warm side..what kind of music you listen to on them..where did you procure the excellent components from?? Certainly not locally I think ..Its rare to have MF KW 500 amp. there are so few of them which came out in the market. would love to have set up like that..
Thanks AshOnTheRocks. Both MF kW 500 and JM labs 927BE speakers are limited edition stuff. I believe only 500 pieces of each were made. I imported all the equipments from singapore. I usually listen to rock music, the speakers are just amazing, I dont think I'd do justice to it by explaining how it sounds. Even the revel woofer rocks(the whole house) I am happy with the whole setup.
Old 8th June 2007, 19:59   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
Thanks AshOnTheRocks. Both MF kW 500 and JM labs 927BE speakers are limited edition stuff. I believe only 500 pieces of each were made. I imported all the equipments from singapore. I usually listen to rock music, the speakers are just amazing, I dont think I'd do justice to it by explaining how it sounds. Even the revel woofer rocks(the whole house) I am happy with the whole setup.
Hi Yogesh,

I knew it that your equipment was limited edition stuff...Well do not be surprised if I PM you some day if were to be in Chennai to request you to hear your set up. Am crazy about rock too. nothing else comes close..as I write I am listening to Credence Clearwater Revival..wondering how it would sound on your set up! One day I would like to have a set up some what like that for stereo..Cheers & rock on! Mods : OT but Long Live Rock
Old 27th June 2007, 13:01   #345
Senior - BHPian

wired or IR ones?

what other than these DAV-DZ556KB, DAV-DX555K and DAV-DZ520K.

@ vikram_d; checked the Harmon ones?

Last edited by jkdas : 27th June 2007 at 13:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks