Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:22   #3376
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

I don’t like to go over board and spend huge money with my builds. I have a decent and budget friendly setup.
- denon x1300 Atmos amp
- had an old set of onkyo speakers
- dual sub ( onkyo and Yamaha )
- monoblock amp to run the Yamaha sub
- elite 110 inch fixed frame projector screen
- harmony one universal remote
- nvidia shield tv
- Benq w1070
- Polk audio atmos speakers
- belkin screencast wireless hdmi
The Home Theater thread-38fc71d52b48401f9970521757398bf1.jpeg

The Home Theater thread-c486434132964cc099a6e3406ce156a6.jpeg
sharan1988 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 18:04   #3377
BHPian

Have you tried spreading the equipment wider to match the Screen width ? Though it is looking a beautiful set up, equipment matching the screen width might give a better ambience. Just a thought.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th September 2020 at 12:20. Reason: typo edited
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 18:59   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan1988 View Post
I
Oh man! If for any reason the indoor unit of your ac is to drip water, it would fall directly on the projector. Please take care!
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:33   #3379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The pic isn't very clear, but the midrange looks like an Accuton. The rest I can't identify.
Very good. Yes, the mid is an Accuton C50. The woofers are ScanSpeak Illuminators and the tweeter is a RAAL 70-20 (this tweeter is only available for OEMs so you might not find it on Aleksandar's website).

I believe that a 3-ohm resistive load can be less stressful to an amplifier than a load that swings from 2 to 30 ohms. Hence I try to incorporate that philosophy into my crossover design even at the cost of a few DB of sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan1988 View Post
I don’t like to go over board and spend huge money with my builds.
Awesome screen.

I have always wanted a screen but my wife needs her ceiling fan too so a ceiling-mounted projector was out of the question. My initial idea was to have a small TV for news and a larger screen rolling down in front of it for movies.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:02   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
V

I have always wanted a screen but my wife needs her ceiling fan too so a ceiling-mounted projector was out of the question. My initial idea was to have a small TV for news and a larger screen rolling down in front of it for movies.
I was in a similar situation, and compromised with a small form factor fan.

Ps: The fan seems to be sitting at an angle in the pic, but that is not the case. I think it is because of the angle the pic was taken.

However the fan can run only at speed 1 or 2 at max. Beyond that it creates too much noise that is an interference.

The Home Theater thread-projector.jpeg

Last edited by Fillmore : 3rd June 2020 at 14:04.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:51   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Have yoy tried spreading the equipment wider to match the Screen width ? Though it is looking a beautiful set up, equipment matching the screen width might give a better ambience. Just a thought.
There are doors on both sides and this room is a guest bedroom converted to a theatre like experience so my options are very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Oh man! If for any reason the indoor unit of your ac is to drip water, it would fall directly on the projector. Please take care!
It has happened before. That's why you see a plastic sheet above it. Ac cannot be repositioned as the other wall is front facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Awesome screen.
I had a roll down screen before this and it always felt incomplete.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2020 at 17:45. Reason: Their > There
sharan1988 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 18:15   #3382
BHPian

Dear Experts,

I'm in the market for an 'audio upgrade' for my 55" Sony X8500G. The TV is in my bedroom, no concealed wiring provisions; aesthetics matter to the other half, hence came to a conclusion that Sound bar would be an easier choice.

After some reading around this topic, realize that I shouldn't expect 'true surround' effect from most of the 'reasonably priced' sound bars in the market - unless it comes with a Dolby ATMOS or DTS X. Is my understanding correct ?

These terms like Dolby and DTS are so loosely used across brands in all their advertisements that I'm not able to clearly understand if any sound bar in the 15k to 25k category comes with Dolby Atmos / DTS X at all. If not, which other Soundbar will be give me a near surround experience. My viewing is largely Netflix / Hotstar / Prime and similar streaming services.

On the other hand, is there an alternative that can improve my movie viewing experience. Like a truly wireless set of satellite/bookshelf speakers.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:29   #3383
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, have a set consisting of ~10 year old Yamaha HTR 6230 amplifier, 1 x NS-SW280 subwoofer & 5 x NS-B280 mini-speakers. In excellent condition and used daily till we bought a couple of Bose Soundtouch systems.

Any thoughts how much I can get for the Yamaha set? Just don't have the space to set them up any more.
Old 18th June 2020, 21:15   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a close friend of mine who is based in Bangalore is looking to buy a good AV Receiver and some floorstanders. Are there any good online dealers that can be trusted?
Old 19th June 2020, 04:39   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Are there any good online dealers that can be trusted?
While these folks are based in the USA, they ship to India. Their products are compatible to our voltage and frequency too.

They don't sell AV receivers. They do sell AV Pre Processor and Power Amplifier. Few options for speakers too. Highly recommended products.

https://emotiva.com/
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 07:34   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
While these folks are based in the USA, they ship to India. Their products are compatible to our voltage and frequency too.

They don't sell AV receivers. They do sell AV Pre Processor and Power Amplifier. Few options for speakers too. Highly recommended products.

https://emotiva.com/

The custom duty will kill any price advantage that one might have buying from Emotiva US once its shipped here. Not to mention the worry of equipment damage in transit and excessive custom delays.

Plus, they are known for their amps ( I have/had a few, A-300, XPA-3, Xpa monoblocs) their processors are nothing to write home about specially the MC-700. Everything else is to expensive.

An AVR from Denon or Marantz cannot be beat for convince and quality at far lesser price.

Quote:
Guys, a close friend of mine who is based in Bangalore is looking to buy a good AV Receiver and some floorstanders. Are there any good online dealers that can be trusted?
What is his budget and preference? Suggestions can be made and then your friend can visit the local stores in Bangalore to have a listen and decide. First rule of audio, always listen before buying. Unless of-course he already knows what he wants and is merely looking for a sale outlet.

Last edited by bigron : 19th June 2020 at 07:43.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 08:39   #3387
BHPian

Quote:
Try with nexthifi.com. I have bought a couple of receivers and speaker packages and found their services quite reliable and prices attractive compared to the other sites .
Old 19th June 2020, 10:03   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The custom duty will kill any price advantage that one might have buying from Emotiva US once its shipped here. Not to mention the worry of equipment damage in transit and excessive custom delays.
Emotiva shipped an XPA5 at a landed cost of 64k, all costs included. This was Fed Ex too, 6 - 7 years ago. At the time and at about 15k lower than the XPA5 cost, all I could get was a mid tier Pioneer VSX-1122K that could barely wake up my speaker. Looking at the way they package their amplifiers, I see zero risk in equipment damage.

The lower tier receivers from Denon or Marantz are not worth it. The good stuff is well above 100k. Even after you spend over a 100k on these receivers, the power handling or capability is a joke.

Anyway; let the FM decide which way they want to go.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th June 2020 at 10:05.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:12   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Emotiva shipped an XPA5 at a landed cost of 64k, all costs included. This was Fed Ex too, 6 - 7 years ago. At the time and at about 15k lower than the XPA5 cost, all I could get was a mid tier Pioneer VSX-1122K that could barely wake up my speaker. Looking at the way they package their amplifiers, I see zero risk in equipment damage.

The lower tier receivers from Denon or Marantz are not worth it. The good stuff is well above 100k. Even after you spend over a 100k on these receivers, the power handling or capability is a joke.

Anyway; let the FM decide which way they want to go.
6, 7 years ago did you say? Try importing the 1 kg puny little PT 100 preamp now. It will cost you over 50 grand shipped.

The minute customs open it all the packing goes for a toss. I know enough cases of expensive products getting damaged during local inter country transits.

A denon x3600 will blow the pants of anything in that range and will come in under 1L. With preouts, if ever a need arises ( mostly power requirements are a myth in normal hometheater requirements with 7.xx. Xx systems)
One could always add amps later.

Last edited by bigron : 19th June 2020 at 11:24.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 12:31   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I ordered Marantz NR1509 on Amazon. Installed it 2 weeks back connecting it to Bose Acoustimass 6. It has been all good so far.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2020 at 21:31. Reason: Accoustimass > Acoustimass
civic-dk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed