Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 10:14   #511
Senior - BHPian

Who distributes NAD and Monitor Audio in India?

What are the approx prices of the following?

NAD C320BEE
NAD C325BEE
NAD C352
Cambridge Audio 540A V2
Cambridge Audio 640A V2

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2
Monitor Audio Bronze BR5
Mordaunt Short MS 906i
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
Wharfedale Diamond 9.3

Last edited by shuvc : 17th July 2008 at 10:15.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:35   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
zoom, please read the FAQ (its a bit long , but very enlightening) from the link i posted
Yeah will surely read that greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi Zoom_vroom,

I did checkout the Bose store. Their demo comprises of a set of sharp and loud audio clips with no importance given to accuracy of sound reproduction. It only impresses armatures.

No offense to you, but don't go by what they are showing you in the demo. Pick your own test DVD or Audio Cd to listen to. Go to any other show room which has a setup combo of Jamo Or Onkyo Or Warfdale Or Sonodyne or any other big brand. Listen to the music. Then ask them to power off the sub, Listen to it again.

Now come back to the Bose store, ask them to power off their sub. ( you will be lucky if they comply) With their sub switched off their so called great speakers will produce a tin pot din-dan sound.
I did not go into such details, was telling from my experience about Bose. Its the huge size of sub's and speakers that takes me away from other brands.
I am pretty much satisfied with my 3.2.1.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:42   #513
Senior - BHPian

The C325BEE is around 22 grand and C352 is around 30 grand. The cambridge audio prices should also be very similar, a bit less maybe. NAD is distributed by Lakozy Impex and CA by FX Entertainment. FX also does Mordaunt Short though I'm not a fan of this speaker.

Monitor Audio BR2 is around 18 grand after discounts and awesome value. However the BR5 is 30 odd and there are better options at that price point. The disty of MA is Audio People in Chennai.

Wharfedales are good value... the 9.1 is around 12 grand and the 9.3 is under 20 grand. They are a bit excessively warm and you are better off pairing them with a slightly lean amp like the CA. I think the distributor is Designer Audio.

Another great option is PSB Alpha which is very well priced for the sound it offers and goes nicely with NAD gear. They are again distributed by lakozy. I also like a few Klipsch reference series bookshelves. Very easy to drive and sounds pretty damn good for the money.

If you are willing to look beyond mainstream, there are definitely a few very nice speakers around. Lyrita Audio (Lyrita Audio) makes single driver speakers that can be matched to a 3 watt 2A3 SET. Have heard a lot of good things about it but am yet to listen to them. However these are not meant for bass freaks. I use a lyrita tube preamp and its really good value for money. Great sound but the fit and finish looks utilitarian.

Of late there have been lots of far eastern audio companies that have come along. Some of these are stunning value for money like the Usher speakers and a few chinese DACs like the ones frome Lite Audio, Citypulse, Trends Audio etc. The other interesting amp phenomenon is the emergence of Class T (tripath) switching amps. There are quite a few very well known Class T amps that sound really amazing. However again most of these are meant for speakers with high sensitivity.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:35   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Wharfedales are good value... the 9.1 is around 12 grand and the 9.3 is under 20 grand. They are a bit excessively warm and you are better off pairing them with a slightly lean amp like the CA. I think the distributor is Designer Audio.

Another great option is PSB Alpha which is very well priced for the sound it offers and goes nicely with NAD gear. They are again distributed by lakozy. I also like a few Klipsch reference series bookshelves. Very easy to drive and sounds pretty damn good for the money.
Wow. Nice informative post.
I wouldn't call myself a bass freak, but I do like the feel of the LF punch hitting me, yet not overwhelming.

The BR2 pairs better with the NADs?

If running 9.1s off say the 540A V2, would it be better to run a SW150 sub with it?

PSB Alpha - approx price?

Klipsch reference - any specific model number / price ? I had demo'd some Klipsch 'horn' towers AB'd with Paradigm Monitors, running off a Yamaha receiver. Felt the Klipsch were a tad bright and the Paradigms too laid back

I'm not averse to non-mainstream brands, but I'd like to stick to 'standard' amps and speakers.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:55   #515
Senior - BHPian

The BR2s are best paired with a Marantz. Just the perfect combo.

The PSB Alpha bookshelf is around 23-24. Not exactly sure. The Klipsch RB-81 is what I was referring to. Sounds very balanced though I'd not call it the epitome of accuracy. Its fun sound that'll appeal to most folks. It should cost around 30 grand or thereabouts.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:58   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Sounds very balanced though I'd not call it the epitome of accuracy.
To get that you should spend more time at home driving those new tubes. 25th is not very far.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:30   #517
BANNED

JBL ESC 333 - bought in 2000 at Zurich for CHF 998.00

Very easy to connect (only one cable to the DVD - choice of digital coaxial and optical). Very easy to use and sounds great.

JBL Home Audio
Old 17th July 2008, 13:36   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Yeah will surely read that greenhorn

I did not go into such details, was telling from my experience about Bose. Its the huge size of sub's and speakers that takes me away from other brands.
I am pretty much satisfied with my 3.2.1.
Err you can get a pair of bookshelves which would be much smaller than that bose bass module with sound in a completely different league.

Here's a good read about those tiny bose cubes

intellexual net · m k i v

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th July 2008 at 13:37.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:57   #519
BHPian

Shuvc - I use a pair of Klipsch RF-15 reference floor standers, powered by an old Rotel RA980BX 100W amp and variouos source playing (Harmon/Kardon CD, Techniques LP, Yamaha tape etc). I would say they are not bass heavy. If you are a lover of deep low end, they should be accompanied with a good sub. But they offer good tight punching bass and good mids with decent well defined highs. Thanks to Klipsh Tractrix horn. I really love the sound stage they make. I never felt they are too bright anyway when compared to Yamaha, boston, minitor etc. I paid colse to 25K for a brand new packing piece imported by a guy.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:08   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
To get that you should spend more time at home driving those new tubes. 25th is not very far.
Don't worry, if they are not at their best by then, I have my trusty old Raytheons
Old 18th July 2008, 11:48   #521
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good place in Delhi for wide range of Marantz, Wharfdale, Morduant Short, etc speakers, HTs. etc. Preferable in South, East Delhi; or NOIDA/Ghaziabad; but even Gurgaon.
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:24   #522
BHPian

^^ I need info on places in Pune to listen to these brands.
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:29   #523
BHPian

Has anyone heard of VTL Vacuum Amplifiers? How good are they?

Music creates the dimension
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:11   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Can someone suggest a good place in Delhi for wide range of Marantz, Wharfdale, Morduant Short, etc speakers, HTs. etc. Preferable in South, East Delhi; or NOIDA/Ghaziabad; but even Gurgaon.
hey vasudeva you can audition Marantz and Harman Kardon (dont remember the shops name) , can tell you the location though!!
At sec 18 Noida where you have Dominos , go inside tha lane along with dominos you'll find RPM on ur right side , there's this AV shop on the first floor. He has some Marantz and Harman kArdon setups.
Then there's another shop at the Metropolitan mall in gurgaon , he also has some marantz setups.
Hope this helps. all the best!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:22   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Has anyone heard of VTL Vacuum Amplifiers? How good are they?

Music creates the dimension
VTL is supposed to be very high end and very serious two channel audio. They are an all tube design and hence very very expensive to purchase and also to maintain as power tubes will need replacement every 1000-2000 hours. I've never heard them personally but I've only read good things about them.

What are you planning to pair them with?

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd July 2008 at 10:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks