Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 15:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The Tata Sky solution was dropped as they dont have enough regional channels.
Not only Tata Sky, all DTH operators have the option of connecting multiple set-top boxes to the same dish and pay just 100-150 extra for the the additional boxes.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Use the regular TV signal output (RF) from the box, run it through a amp and use splitter to feed it to 6 TV's. It will not give the best quality but is the cheapest and simplest option available.
It won't work, RF from the box will have only one channel at a time. On the other hand, The analog cable provider's RF spectrum contains many channels. If you want to make such an RF out, get AV from many sources (few boxes tuned to different channels), modulate them, and mix those using an RF mixer. This is not easy to do at home anyway, and there's no point doing it as well..
Old 5th May 2010, 15:24   #18
BHPian

The large TV showrooms have this setup - they connect all the TVs to one DVD player and one set top box, but then all of them show the same content.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
The large TV showrooms have this setup - they connect all the TVs to one DVD player and one set top box, but then all of them show the same content.
Please appreciate what the set top box is. It is essentially a TV tuner whch can receive encoded signals and then decode them and route them to your display. Your TV has two systems a signal aquisition system (the tuner) and a display system (DLP, LCD, Plasma et al) If you are using a set top box you are not using the tuner that is inside your TV. If you buy a HD TV a good option may be to buy a HD ready TV in which the the tuner is not HD but the display system is - so you can watch HD movies and not pay for the HD tuner.

Since in a satellite system you use the tuner in the set top box you cannot connect multiple TVs to it to watch different channels. You can however split the signal and watch the same signal on different TVs. But your gain will drop. Typically the large LCD, DLP, Plasma TVs need s signal strength of about 70 dB for a decent picture. And hence the 4 set top box limit on multi room subscriptions.

There is another install called multi dwelling. They put one dish not much larger than the personal one and then drop a fiber through the utility shaft in a building. This backbone is then tapped on each floor and connections are given in each apartment. This is often used in muti stried complexes so that you do not do not clutter the facade with dish antennas. This requires some additional equipment. The shops may use this kind of installation. You can drive many TVs in this case. But one channel per set top box.

BTW, if you take a Tata Sky plus subscrition, the set top box has two tuners, optical coax outs and a 160 gb HDD. So you can record one channel while watching another channel on your TV ! You can also set up a timed recording schedule -- like TiVo in US.

Regards

Sid
Old 5th May 2010, 18:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

only way, as clever dude said is to use RF.

Use a 6 way RF splitter and an RF amp ( aka Antenna booster) if the signal is too weak
Old 5th May 2010, 18:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess even if you manage to split the out put from your set top box in to six TV's you will be able to watch ONLY one single channel at a time. Reason, channels in DTH are not changed / set in TV as in cable television but instead in the STB itself (Through the operators/ STB's remote; in your case I guess Tata Sky). So suppose you set a channel say Discovery in your set top box using its remote provided you have split the out put in to six you will be viewing the same channel in all the 6 TV's. My suggestion would be stick to the old cable tv that too the ones without STB's and from their input put a splitter and take to diffrent TV's. But yes, picture quality will be an issue here.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get a custom made one?
All of these stuff will be available at your local electronic shop in thakaraparambu. Just some wiring and soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It won't work, RF from the box will have only one channel at a time. On the other hand, The analog cable provider's RF spectrum contains many channels.
I suggested since JKD said that person is inclined to local cable box since digi box has limitation on local channels.

In BLR i use hathway cable box in my room and i really cant make out the difference with the 2 Tataskys and the Sun sat box in other rooms. Works perfectly fine with stereo for needed channels powered through my amp.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Might notbe legal but you can buy cable dreamboxes. Then you can use a splitter to feed to dreamboxes and with the right softcam you can decrypt all the channels.

Quote:
Card?

All I have will be once cable TV setup box and I want to share this across multiple rooms.

The Tata Sky solution was dropped as they dont have enough regional channels.

Back to square one!
Old 5th May 2010, 23:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

A solution for this lies there in the future of Indian digital TV arena.

In US, most of the new set-top boxes are OCAP complaint - this means that the box runs a middle ware which is having APIs standardized throughout the industry. digital tuning, decoding, display, user interface - the standard defines APIs for anything and everything.

So it will be possible for a customer to buy a box from Toshiba or Cisco and ask a service provider like Comcast to provision it. In present scenario in India, the boxes are supplied by the MSOs and they can't be used in any other MSO's signals.

Now with the common standards being enforced, a consumer will be able to buy a TV with digital tuner and any digital cable provider provision it. In this way, 6 TVs in 6 rooms only need proper cable connections to each. The STB is more or less integrated into the TV.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th May 2010 at 23:18.
Old 18th October 2017, 14:33   #25
BHPian

Re: How do I? Connect 6 TV from a single setup box?

I am looking for similar solution ,most 5 star hotels don`t have separate DTH in india. Can someone help what system is used in hotels as i don`t want set-top box to be seen in every room.Cost is not the criteria and hence i am ready to invest in common server if required which might be used in hotels.
Old 18th October 2017, 16:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
I am looking for similar solution ,most 5 star hotels don`t have separate DTH in india. Can someone help what system is used in hotels as i don`t want set-top box to be seen in every room.Cost is not the criteria and hence i am ready to invest in common server if required which might be used in hotels.
Hotels also have set top boxes but they are hidden from view. These set top boxes however are not connected to individual Dish but source signals from a central backbone which may be connected to a Dish.
Old 18th October 2017, 16:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
Hotels also have set top boxes but they are hidden from view. These set top boxes however are not connected to individual Dish but source signals from a central backbone which may be connected to a Dish.
Thanks .How do we source a centralised backbone and is it available from Tatasky or anyother operator as a product.Also what is it technically called.
Old 18th October 2017, 17:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Thanks .How do we source a centralised backbone and is it available from Tatasky or anyother operator as a product.Also what is it technically called.
It's called a MDU, or common dish in local language. We have it in our society.
Old 19th October 2017, 12:46   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

My joint family clan in Kolkata gave the royal ditch to their local cable operator and went for a common dish. Benefits are uninterrupted service, no unsightly wires, and much cheaper rates + choices package.
Old 4th November 2017, 01:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
It's called a MDU, or common dish in local language. We have it in our society.
MDU still requires individual set-top box for each TV. My requirement is i want to operate GYM equipments inbuilt monitor /Touch screen to display all TV channels which is not possible to be used with set-to box. Secondly comfort of having single remote for each Television.
Please suggest centralised options like 5 -star hotels.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks