Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 14:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chromium OS - Anyone?

I just downloaded the image from net and created a bootable USB stick. Restart the computer with this and booom, you are straight on net

It uses the login screen as an login for the net. yes, you need to enter your gmail id & password, and you are there. On the internet. Cool.

I like this. Need to explore more. Anyone trying this?

Intersting thing is, before even google released the OS, there are number of individuals who are releasing it. Yes, that's the power of open source.

I am using the binaries from

Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh

Enjoy!!!

More than the OS, I love the way they demonstrate it.

Google, ofcourse no wonder why they are so powerful & innovative.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:33   #2
BHPian

I didnt bother to install it . I was using it on my vmware as a virtual machine , didnt find it too exciting though
Old 13th May 2010, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I didnt bother to install it . I was using it on my vmware as a virtual machine , didnt find it too exciting though
I think it will turn interesting soon, Especially if it turns out as i hope like an Ipad competitor .

They have recently bought out a company called Bumptop which used to make a n overlay over windows 7 for their touch PC's and it had a really nice UI. If these two get together with some decent Hardware support then it would become a nice media Consumption Device.

With Picassa, Gmail , Google Docs and other apps it can also be used to create media but not at the level of other OS es like Windows, Macintosh etc.

I have also heard in the first demo of the software that the device recommended for Chrome OS would be akin to a netbook with solid state drives and most information residing in the cloud.

Disclaimer: the above info is speculation mixed with a few information available in public
Old 13th May 2010, 18:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks pretty cool, me being little old fashioned person, is little skeptical using internet to store my personal folders & files. Is it like no HDD required? How about playing old games such as AOE3 or NFS or Porsche Unleashed? Can we do that without installing them? Concept sounds good, especially the quick boot, but other things to be wait & watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks