Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 13:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pathetic Customer Care from Videocon

Last year I had bought a single door direct cool Videocon refrigerator. The firdge is under 1 Year Warranty and there is a 5 year warranty on the Compressor.

All of a sudden the Refrigerator stopped cooling from Monday early morning and I contacted their customer care. The Customer Care promises that a technician will contact you with 24 hrs but till now nobody has contacted me as yet. Multiple attempts to reach the Service centre (whose number was provided by Customer Care) has been futile. Only chance when someone responded on the number told me casually that "Technicians will come to office after 12.30 pm so call after that". Feel like doing this to the Service Dealer.

Compare this to my complaint to LG for noise in A/C. They also promise 24 Hrs first response. Received a call within 12 hours on a Sunday. Told the guy we were not there so finally came on Monday night 8.30 PM and fixed the issue. And this is not the first time I'm seeing fast turnaround of complains by LG.

So bottomline is I'm not going to buy any Videocon of its associated brands - Kenstar /Electrolux/Kelvinator et al ever in my life again. And they call themselves Indian MNC

Btw if anyone can provide contact details of some higher - up officials in Videocon will be highly appreciated.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

MileCruncher. The refrigerator at my parents home conked out.
0 Cooling.

Then about a day later it started working normally.
There was some power surge that had happened that night but no other appliance was impacted. It could also be that most appliances were Off at that time as the surges happened for almost the whole day and night.

I know my post does not help you with the service. But maybe your fridge suffered the same and it will start working on its own.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had a Kelvinator fridge that ran fine for many years, but had some issue a couple of years ago. It took 3 tO 4 days for those nitwits to attend to it, after several calls. Their customer support is as bad as bsnl.

You are right---one should refrain from buying those brands. However, Kelvinator service was quite good in the early 90's, when there were not many brands of refrigerators.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Milecruncher - We bought a Videocon washing machine about 3 years ago; trust me that's the first & last Videocon product. After 3 months it stopped working; so we called up the service centre. Unlike your case, these guys showed up & to my horror, they changed the entire top electronic panel & said these products are prone to problems & asked us what made us buy this product. Doesn't it sound ?

Now the replaced panel gives a loud beep (say like the normal electronic beeps has throat infection) when you press any key on it. Upon asking this, they say that this is the best they could do & one more change on the panel, the entire thing may go kaput or may work normally & the chances are 50-50.

Do you think I made a wise decision for making that washing machine as last product of Videocon in my home?
Old 1st June 2010, 13:55   #5
BHPian

I had a similar experience with Electrolux refrigerator - it was 2003 purchase and stopped working last year...customer service is pathetic and it took almost 10 days to get it repaired. Again after 6 months, the same problem recurred..Got tired of their cock & bull story, and finally disposed the fridge to a local scrap wallah, and went for whirlpool.

Have had a good experience with LG/Samsung/Hitachi/Whirlpool so far.
Old 1st June 2010, 14:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Do you think I made a wise decision for making that washing machine as last product of Videocon in my home?
For me
Refrigerator = Whirlpool
Washing Machine = IFB Fully-Auto. and Whirlpool/Samsung Semi-Auto.

If at all you feel like buying something from Indian MNC Videocon, it will be a 14-inch CRT colour TV!!! thats where their expertise end!!

By the way couple of years back I had 'rattling' issue on day 2 with my Sony 29" CRT TV. Local customer service center was responsive and their rep. visited my place multiple time. The cabinet use to rattle at volume anything above 25points when you could actually hear the sound when the sound is at 20points and the max. volume was 80-100 points.

One of the local service center fellow agreed to the fact that low quality plastics is the cause but his senior did not! He came and 1st said that the input signal is the cause, we gave input from a DVD player and had same issue. Then he started saying you are not suppose to increase the volume to very high and also informed that this is the highest selling model and till now no such complaints. I then decided to call the regional service head.

I made the Sony Service center regional manager who sits in Mumbai to visit my house (in Goa) to check it . Showed him other 4 colour TV's (14" Videocon/20" EC/ 21" AIWA and a 20" B/W Crown!!) we had with volume to max and no rattle. Poor fellow could not give any answer!!

Finally my dad, looking at elderly service manager, asked me to give up

That day I decided not to buy any Sony product. Sony's product quality is not the same what it was some 10 years back.
Old 1st June 2010, 15:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ani, why did you buy Videocon in the first place? Mr.Dhoot is trying his best to revive a dying company and i have no doubts that his efforts will fall flat. Take any of their products, it reeks of sub-standard quality at their supposedly throwaway prices.

Coming back to your problem, if they do not respond, get a good local technician and get it fixed. Just make sure that guy does not tamper with any components so as to null your warantee.

Btw, on saturday, do we bring our own ice cubes?
Old 1st June 2010, 15:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

I guess you can try to contact Shahrukh Khan - he is their brand ambassador after all !
Old 1st June 2010, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
For me
Refrigerator = Whirlpool

If at all you feel like buying something from Indian MNC Videocon, it will be a 14-inch CRT colour TV!!! thats where their expertise end!!
Sadly even their televisions are generic junk, they use chassis found in cheapo chinese brands.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Refrigerator = Whirlpool
100% with you on the above. We've a whirlpool refrigerator & I'm quite happy with it; regarding washing machine, we've done two rounds of great analysis & have concluded that our next purchase will be IFB.

PS - you've 3 smiley's against the forum rules of 2 per post.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Videocon technicians came and said that the system had choked. So cut the pipelines and refilled gas. By evening it was not cooling properly again.

Sick of this we have decided to buy a new one.

Videocon needs to be

Most Viewed