Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 12:03   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Kindle

I guess it depends on the type of reader you are. I read at least 1-2 hours everyday in my Kindle. So I guess it is worth waiting for Voyager for me, especially after reading this review.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/20/a...voyage-review/
Old 27th October 2014, 15:15   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Don't know how this is so cheap, generally retails for ~10k. If you're in the market for a e-reader, you should get this (at this price). The seller rep seems good too.
Wow, thats a wonderful price for a device that competes against the Paperwhite! Was putting away my Paperwhite purchase but might quickly pick this up. One question though - can I purchase books off the Kindle store and store on this device?
Old 27th October 2014, 15:17   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
One question though - can I purchase books off the Kindle store and store on this device?
Dont see the Mobi or .azw in the supported file formats. So doubt you can use it for Kindle store content.
Old 27th October 2014, 15:41   #409
Team-BHP Support

For me Kobo can't be a option. I have 100s of Kindle books purchased over 4 years, most of them have DRM protection. It is worse than switching dSLR system, where one can at least sell the equipment.

PS: Don't bother suggesting DRM removal tools, such illegal activities can't be discussed here.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:12   #410
Senior - BHPian

If the Kobo Glo - where can I purchase books legally from? Are there stores for the Kobo? Sorry am checking from office so am not able to open the pages.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:38   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Dont see the Mobi or .azw in the supported file formats. So doubt you can use it for Kindle store content.
epub is the universal standard for ebooks. BTW, kobo aura supports kindle book format.

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/

Quote:
If the Kobo Glo - where can I purchase books legally from? Are there stores for the Kobo? Sorry am checking from office so am not able to open the pages.
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/

Quote:
One question though - can I purchase books off the Kindle store and store on this device?
There are umpteen free conversion tools, one can use to move to .epub format.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:06   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
epub is the universal standard for ebooks. There are umpteen free conversion tools, one can use to move to .epub format.
Thanks! Yes, aware of Calibre. The more I research, the more the Kobo Glo looks like a good choice. That deal on Ebay is what turned me around. And I really like the Amazon Kindle store but I don't want to be locked to it. Prices are cheaper than other stores by a bit but I don't mind that. And DRM gives me the jitters. Might end up buying the Glo as soon as the "salary credited" message arrives on the phone
Old 4th November 2014, 10:21   #413
Senior - BHPian

Aaand I got the Kobo Glo. Thanks to this deal that PrateekM had posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Don't know how this is so cheap, generally retails for ~10k. If you're in the market for a e-reader, you should get this (at this price). The seller rep seems good too.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/271641359598?...edirect=mobile
Though the seller was an "oddlots_eletronics" on Ebay, it is Croma. Not sure how they are selling at this price. Maybe refurbished? But I received the package with a Croma invoice and Croma packaging so I am a happy customer. Just transferred an Epub book that I had from Google Books to test and am very happy. Tried a PDF file and it did display well. But I will post up a more through review in a few days if anyone is interested.

This is my first e-book reader and I love it. The option to turn on/off the light is nice. Perfect for reading on those travels and for reading without bothering anyone else.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:46   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Aaand I got the Kobo Glo. Thanks to this deal that PrateekM had posted

Though the seller was an "oddlots_eletronics" on Ebay, it is Croma. Not sure how they are selling at this price. Maybe refurbished? But I received the package with a Croma invoice and Croma packaging so I am a happy customer. Just transferred an Epub book that I had from Google Books to test and am very happy. Tried a PDF file and it did display well. But I will post up a more through review in a few days if anyone is interested.

This is my first e-book reader and I love it. The option to turn on/off the light is nice. Perfect for reading on those travels and for reading without bothering anyone else.
Congrats! This is a great deal, would have gone for it myself if I hadn't purchased a Nook e-reader from US last year. Happy reading
Old 4th November 2014, 11:31   #415
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Kobo for one year, and now upgraded to Kobo glo. The reading time really increases with Ereaders. For people who love to read but somehow have fallen off the habit should truly give it a go with any ereader.

Kobo glow is surprisingly bit slow and buggy than Kobo, which never hanged and never got stuck. Glo sometimes gets stuck, but taken at light speed and not treating it as touchscreen mobile, it is a perfect reading device. Highly suggested.
Old 4th November 2014, 22:43   #416
BHPian

Got the new basic kindle touch. But I am unable to find a case for the new model. Amazon original ones are atrociously priced; almost 40% of the kindle cost. Guys who have purchased this model, how are u guys managing?

Cases are available for the old model. But there is a dimension change, so can't use those.
Old 4th November 2014, 22:45   #417
Team-BHP Support

Cheap ones are usually available on ebay, you need to look hard though for your model.
Old 4th November 2014, 22:50   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Cheap ones are usually available on ebay, you need to look hard though for your model.
I checked there, but none available for the 7th gen kindle, except for one which is priced at 1750INR .
Old 7th November 2014, 16:21   #419
Senior - BHPian

Ok, this might be a bit of a rant...

I admit I really didn't do my research about file formats that the Glo supports and whether I can legally buy a book in Amazon and then read it on the Glo. But....

It turns out that I can't. Cause Amazon only "lends" you the book for a cheap price. The DRM god watches over you always. Amazon's proprietary file format cannot be read on any other device than anything with the name "kindle" in it.

I was aware that Glo can read many other file formats but I assumed that I "own" the book that I have bought from Amazon and that I can read it anywhere, on any other device!

No, I have discovered that there are ways to circumvent this but it isn't right to be discussing those methods here.

I am sorry but I really am highly irritated by this Kindle bookstore thing. I want to purchase books legally for low prices but I need to purchase a Kindle device for it.

DRM be damned. This is why I can't stand Apple and it's associated apps too.

Man, am I really, really, really happy I did not get a Kindle device.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:55   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, this might be a bit of a rant...

I admit I really didn't do my research about file formats that the Glo supports and whether I can legally buy a book in Amazon and then read it on the Glo. But....

It turns out that I can't. Cause Amazon only "lends" you the book for a cheap price. The DRM god watches over you always. Amazon's proprietary file format cannot be read on any other device than anything with the name "kindle" in it.

I was aware that Glo can read many other file formats but I assumed that I "own" the book that I have bought from Amazon and that I can read it anywhere, on any other device!

No, I have discovered that there are ways to circumvent this but it isn't right to be discussing those methods here.

I am sorry but I really am highly irritated by this Kindle bookstore thing. I want to purchase books legally for low prices but I need to purchase a Kindle device for it.

DRM be damned. This is why I can't stand Apple and it's associated apps too.

Man, am I really, really, really happy I did not get a Kindle device.
Well, that has been the case all along. But the book can be read on any tablet (through Kindle app - Android/iOS/windows) and any device with an internet connection so that you can read it off the web at read.amazon.com.

Regarding the discussion of whether you actually own the book, it is debatable. Most digital purchases fall in the same category. A while ago, Disney pulled all its movies from Amazon streaming resulting in the movie not being available even for those who "bought" the movie on Amazon VOD.

The world is moving towards a rent/stream paradigm for all media content - Movie/Music/Books. It has its shortcomings I agree but it is incredibly convenient.

DRM be damned I agree. iTunes now does not have DRM for music. I am sure one day we will wake up to a brave new world where DRM is not there for any kind of media.

Till then, I believe Kindle is a good compromise - given how extensive their library is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks