Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2015, 17:15   #466
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

I've a basic 6" Kindle listed on Classifieds. Just FYI. Loving my paperwhite!
Old 13th March 2015, 13:48   #467
Senior - BHPian

My Kindle shows an unusable grey patch of 2 cm by 0.5 cm at the bottom right corner.
It came about suddenly when I plugged in the cable to desktop to charge. There has been absolutely no physical impact.
Anyone else faced similar problem?

Is the e-ink display so delicate and finicky?
Old 13th March 2015, 22:32   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
My Kindle shows an unusable grey patch of 2 cm by 0.5 cm at the bottom right corner.
Which version Kindle? Mine is now completing 4.5 years. Not a single glitch, it goes wherever I travel.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:03   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which version Kindle? Mine is now completing 4.5 years. Not a single glitch, it goes wherever I travel.
This must be Kindle 4 - the one that is still being sold at about 4999 by Amazon, comes with D pad controller.
http://www.amazon.in/Kindle-Ink-Disp...pid=B007HCFU90

:(
It has been only one month.
Though the patch makes zero difference, because there always never any text/graphics in ebooks (margin), it makes me shudder to think that something of similar sort can happen in the middle of the page - and perhaps after the warranty expires!!!
Old 25th March 2015, 12:00   #470
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice the launch of the Kindle Voyage? Amazon hasn't given it the publicity they usually have when a new product is available. The pricing is way out of line 16499 for wifi and 20499 for the 3G. I don't think its worth this kind of premium over the Paperwhite.
Old 25th March 2015, 13:25   #471
Team-BHP Support

I am getting the Kindle Voyage from US, cost me $219 for the "without offer" Wifi version. Even that is expensive, but then I read it everyday, so fine. But the Indian price is just nuts.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:02   #472
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting the Kindle Voyage from US, cost me $219 for the "without offer" Wifi version.
Don't you also need the outrageously priced charger and some protection for the Voyage? I've toyed with the idea of getting one from the US but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I don't currently have a Kindle. The 3 e-books on health I bought were read on my PC using Kindle Reader for Win. Not enjoyable at all.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:42   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting the Kindle Voyage from US, cost me $219 for the "without offer" Wifi version. Even that is expensive, but then I read it everyday, so fine. But the Indian price is just nuts.
Please do share your views once you get it (hoping its in transit). I too use my Paperwhite at least a couple of hours everyday. Don't have any reason to upgrade but want to know if the Voyage is really worth close to 7k premium over the Paperwhite WiFi.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:55   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Don't you also need the outrageously priced charger and some protection for the Voyage? I've toyed with the idea of getting one from the US but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
No, I use my phone charger for the same. It charges via microUSB cable, like my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Please do share your views once you get it (hoping its in transit). I too use my Paperwhite at least a couple of hours everyday. Don't have any reason to upgrade but want to know if the Voyage is really worth close to 7k premium over the Paperwhite WiFi.
It may not be worth upgrading from paperwhite. I have the keyboard version Kindle from 2010, so it is a good leap for me. I am still 3 weeks away from getting it on hand.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:59   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I use my phone charger for the same. It charges via microUSB cable, like my phone.
Interesting.. Since most mobiles are now microUSB, it is a good option. But will it harm the Kindle battery in any way? (under charge or over charge due to capacity limitations or some other issue..). If it does no harm, then I can leave my Kindle charging wire at office for charging off of the computer when needed and use the mobile charger at home.

Quote:
I have the keyboard version Kindle from 2010, so it is a good leap for me. I am still 3 weeks away from getting it on hand.
Wow!! Keyboard kindle direct to the Voyage. You will surely love it!!
Old 27th March 2015, 16:56   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Interesting.. Since most mobiles are now microUSB, it is a good option. But will it harm the Kindle battery in any way? (under charge or over charge due to capacity limitations or some other issue..). If it does no harm, then I can leave my Kindle charging wire at office for charging off of the computer when needed and use the mobile charger at home.
The USB is a standard, equipment that have USB slots are designed to that standard. The computer devices usually deliver less current than a charging device, so it takes longer to charge with a computer. Equipment that charge via USB are designed to deal with that. I have left both my phones and Kindle connected to PC/laptop overnight hundreds of times.
Old 27th March 2015, 17:20   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The USB is a standard, equipment that have USB slots are designed to that standard. The computer devices usually deliver less current than a charging device, so it takes longer to charge with a computer. Equipment that charge via USB are designed to deal with that. I have left both my phones and Kindle connected to PC/laptop overnight hundreds of times.
Great.. thanks for the explanation. Helps a lot!! As long as there is no issue, can happily use the mobile charger at home to charge the kindle.
Old 30th March 2015, 13:03   #478
BHPian

Just got this email over the weekend!

We're pleased to inform you that you can now buy Kindle eBooks directly from Amazon.in and pay for your purchases in Rupees using Indian credit/debit cards, net banking, and Amazon.in Gift Cards. You can shop from a vast selection of eBooks, including Indian bestsellers and many Kindle exclusive titles, and read local customer reviews and bestseller lists.

To take advantage of these new features, you can make Amazon.in your default Kindle Store by clicking the button below. You will not need to create a new account and you will retain access to all of your past eBook purchases.
Old 20th April 2015, 13:12   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking at buying the all new Amazon Kindle at Rs 5999 but I was put off by user feedback that Amazon doesnt provide any support once the warranty is over. Has anyone faced problems with this?

I am looking for a reading device for my folks and if there is no support then I'de rather buy a tablet that they can use instead that will give peace of mind.
Old 20th April 2015, 13:32   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was looking at buying the all new Amazon Kindle at Rs 5999 but I was put off by user feedback that Amazon doesnt provide any support once the warranty is over. Has anyone faced problems with this?

I am looking for a reading device for my folks and if there is no support then I'de rather buy a tablet that they can use instead that will give peace of mind.
Tablet is for a different need than the kindle. For reading, there is none better than a ereader. Also, you wouldn't need much support for a kindle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks