Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 11:50   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Just gifted wifey a Kindle Voyage (WiFi) on her birthday. Costed JPY 24000 which I pleasantly found out was INR 4000 cheaper than the price listed on Amazon India right now.

So far, the feedback from her is very positive. She is an avid reader and cannot seem to keep it down. Major pluses seem to be the (lack of) weight and ease of one-handed operation.

I am looking for a good quality case which covers just the backside from scratches while not adding to the weight / size much. Any pointers? Amazon seems to have only flip covers which she is not interested in.
Old 9th July 2015, 15:17   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I got Kindle Paperwhite this Tuesday. Good experience so far.
A small band a the bottom ( around 5 mm wide) is slightly less bright compared to whole screen - should I be worried about this?
That's because of the placement of the LEDs. Tilt the Kindle and look at the bottom edge of the screen from top angle, you will see those lights. The immediate area between two lights appears slightly dark.

Quote:
Also, a query for the members who have purchased flip cover for their Kindle.
Are you able to flip back the front part fully while reading, so that you can hold it using one hand?
I have Kindle Paper White (Previous Generation). Earlier I had bought the Hoko flip cover, but didn't like its plasticky looks.

Recently got the Amazon cover. Its very premium looking and you can easily fold it to hold your Kindle single handedly. It adds slightly to the bulk but frankly I like my Kindle better now. It feels more like reading a book rather than reading from a tablet.

Although the Amazon cover is priced quite atrociously high, my view is that its the best in the market.
Old 9th July 2015, 15:44   #513
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
That's because of the placement of the LEDs. Tilt the Kindle and look at the bottom edge of the screen from top angle, you will see those lights. The immediate area between two lights appears slightly dark.

I have Kindle Paper White (Previous Generation). Earlier I had bought the Hoko flip cover, but didn't like its plasticky looks.

Recently got the Amazon cover. Its very premium looking and you can easily fold it to hold your Kindle single handedly. It adds slightly to the bulk but frankly I like my Kindle better now. It feels more like reading a book rather than reading from a tablet.

Although the Amazon cover is priced quite atrociously high, my view is that its the best in the market.
Thanks for your response penpusher.
I am not in mood to spend 2300 for Amazon cover and also plasticky looks are ok for me. However if Hoko - which looks premium (on Amazon photos) and also charges higher than other - is also platicky, then I may look and try for some still cheaper options(like Ellit, Pro Ellit etc available on Amazon)

Regards,
JLS
Old 9th July 2015, 19:21   #514
BHPian

Hoko has a plastic back, although the front has leather looks. Also the plastic back edge cracked in mine, probably because I took the Kindle out a couple of times from the cover
Old 13th July 2015, 16:34   #515
BHPian

At last, got my hands over Kindle Paperwhite (Prev. Gen) and with almost 10 days usage, I am perfectly happy with it. I am pretty excited to see so many books and classics at such a throw away price [ and free, at times] and loaded many of them [ though I am confident that many of them would not be touched for ages ]

Just a doubt...

In the light settings, it says - In brightly lit rooms, use a high setting and Use a low setting for dark rooms ! ' which I find confusing.

I brightly lit rooms, the low back light is sufficient and in darkness, using more than 6 or 7 seems to induce stress on eyes.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I am looking for a good quality case which covers just the backside from scratches while not adding to the weight / size much. Any pointers? Amazon seems to have only flip covers which she is not interested in.
I brought Proelite from amazon for 700 and by the looks, it does not disappoint. It has a cover that sports a bookish look with leather touch and looks premium too. You might want to buy it though it might add a little bulk to the device but that is a fait accompli with any case .
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon Kindle-kin1.jpg  

Amazon Kindle-kin2.jpg  

Amazon Kindle-kin3.jpg  

Old 13th July 2015, 17:57   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
In the light settings, it says - In brightly lit rooms, use a high setting and Use a low setting for dark rooms ! ' which I find confusing.

I brightly lit rooms, the low back light is sufficient and in darkness, using more than 6 or 7 seems to induce stress on eyes.

Any suggestions?.......
You aren't the only one confused. The logic is to be as close to ambient illumination as possible to cause minimum eye strain (in theory), but I found using '0' during well-lit daytime and '7-9' in dark(er) settings works a treat for me, and saves battery too. I could read long hours with those settings, sometimes a whole book if I have nothing else to do.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th July 2015 at 18:00.
Old 13th July 2015, 20:49   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You aren't the only one confused. The logic is to be as close to ambient illumination as possible to cause minimum eye strain (in theory), but I found using '0' during well-lit daytime and '7-9' in dark(er) settings works a treat for me, and saves battery too. I could read long hours with those settings, sometimes a whole book if I have nothing else to do.
Hehe, thanks for clarifying !

I concur with putting 0 in well-lit rooms , but in dark spaces, anything over 6/7 stresses my eye. I usually put it in 5 or 6 , but still, I psychologically feel that this will also hamper the eyesight !
Old 13th July 2015, 21:49   #518
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some advice as I am a bit of a noob with electronics.
I was thinking of buying a "Kindle" for wifey who loves reading.
Having gone through about 10 pages of this thread I figure she will need the paper white as she does read a lot at night.
My questions are :
1. As she already has an Apple I-Pad is it really necessary to buy a Kindle? I have downloaded the Kindle app on the I Pad already but the books seem limited.
2. Is the eye strain the only reason for buying/using a Kindle over the I Pad?
3. Notice that there are several posts about "Support". Is there any tech support for the Kindle in India or not? What happens if one faces a problem?
4. Is it possible to buy an extended warranty keeping point no. 3 in mind?

Your responses would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 14th July 2015, 09:37   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Having gone through about 10 pages of this thread I figure she will need the paper white as she does read a lot at night.
My questions are :
1. As she already has an Apple I-Pad is it really necessary to buy a Kindle? I have downloaded the Kindle app on the I Pad already but the books seem limited.
3. Notice that there are several posts about "Support". Is there any tech support for the Kindle in India or not? What happens if one faces a problem?

Regards,
SS
1. Books are definitely not limited. pretty much every single book has a kindle edition now. Till date I have not had a situation where a book I wanted did not have a kindle edition. Of course, there will be certain niche genres where this is not the case.

2. Eye strain is one. I personally can read for hours on a kindle without any strain on the eye(just like a normal book). Battery is another main consideration. The kindle lasts a very very long time. If I read 1-2 hours a day, it can last 2 weeks comfortably. I have been using it for 2.5 years now and I have not noticed a reduction in battery life also. A tablet cannot come anywhere close.

3,4: Not aware of any support issues. I assume since it is officially sold in India, there will be support available. I don't think any kind of extended warranty will be available. personally have not faced any issues and in general, you should not have any need for support.
Old 14th July 2015, 10:59   #520
BHPian

Hi Rajeevraj

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
I guess I must be doing something wrong with the I-Pad.
Will try once more to download some other books else will go in for the Kindle.
My wife already has an issue with her eyesight so don't want to make it any worse.

Regards,
SS
Old 19th July 2015, 22:19   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

My questions are :

Regards,
SS
Rajeevraj has already given an accurate reply to your queries. Just wanted to add that apart from eyestrain, another point is that with a tablet, there might be many distractions - email, facebook notifications, other app notifications etc. Or you may just be tempted to watch some video on youtube and so on. With Kindle, you have no distractions and can focus entirely on the book. For someone fond of reading, Kindle is the best device for sure.
Old 20th July 2015, 11:11   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Need some advice as I am a bit of a noob with electronics...
Regards,
SS
Adding to what others have said -
  • You can adjust font size simply by pinch gesture on the screen.
  • Adjust the spacing between the lines.
  • Adjust brightness of the screen.
  • There is an x-ray feature which is amazing.
  • Very light weight compared to the iPad, can hold with single hand for hours.
Old 20th July 2015, 11:24   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

My questions are :

Regards,
SS
hello

Yes if someone does read a lot in the night it does make sense to buy the paperwhite; of course you also have the option of buying a kindle and accessorise it with covers which have a built in light in them .
I recently got the new kindle paperwhite from “ Croma “ and they had an offer of extending the warranty by another year on payment of 650 rupees.
Old 20th July 2015, 11:57   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My questions are :

Regards,
SS
The Kindle is a reading device which is so very different to any Tablet on the market. It is fundamentally different to the way it is illuminated.
Eye strain is one of the big reason, then weight, then one handed operation. You would not regret buying a Kindle Paperwhite.

Support - Absolutely no idea, but never needed anything - never had any problems (fingers crossed) for the past 3 years.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 20th July 2015 at 12:00.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:28   #525
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the advice.
Much appreciated.
Will most probably be going for the paper white.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks