Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 12:09   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I personally found Kindle to be overrated and not to my liking at all.....
A tablet and an ereader are different entities. I have a 9 inch tablet that I use for reading technical pdfs, but I always use the smaller ereader (I have kobo glo which is identical to paperwhite) for normal book reading. It is far easier on the eyes. Future buyers may want to keep this in mind.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:46   #557
Senior - BHPian

Just got an email:

As a token of appreciation for being a valued customer of Amazon.in, you are invited to reignite your passion for reading by availing an exclusive flat Rs. 2,000 discount on the All-New Kindle Paperwhite WiFi and All-New Kindle Paperwhite WiFi.+3G.

What's more, you can also share the joy of reading on a Kindle Paperwhite with your friends and family by sending them this unique referral discount code: 7U64-JGTVX5-8FRJCN

Hope it helps someone. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2015, 20:52   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just got an email:

As a token of appreciation for being a valued customer of Amazon.in, you are invited to reignite your passion for reading by availing an exclusive flat Rs. 2,000 discount on the All-New Kindle Paperwhite WiFi and All-New Kindle Paperwhite WiFi.+3G.

What's more, you can also share the joy of reading on a Kindle Paperwhite with your friends and family by sending them this unique referral discount code: 7U64-JGTVX5-8FRJCN

Hope it helps someone. Thanks.
Thanks for the code, Amazon.in is already showing Rs2000/- saving on Kindle Paperwhite, is your coupon code an 'additional' discount on the Rs2000 saving, or an alternative?

http://www.amazon.in/All-New-Kindle-...dle+paperwhite
Old 13th October 2015, 23:42   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Thanks for the code, Amazon.in is already showing Rs2000/- saving on Kindle Paperwhite, is your coupon code an 'additional' discount on the Rs2000 saving, or an alternative?

http://www.amazon.in/All-New-Kindle-...dle+paperwhite
The idiots at Amazon sent me a coupon code valid only on 12th Oct, on the 13th - by when this discount is available to everyone.

So please ignore my post!

Old 14th October 2015, 08:59   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The idiots at Amazon sent me a coupon code valid only on 12th Oct, on the 13th - by when this discount is available to everyone.
They did the same thing to me. I tried to forward it to them so they know what happened, but the process is so convoluted I gave up.
Old 14th October 2015, 11:37   #561
Senior - BHPian

Via Twitter account deals for geeks
@DealsForGeeks: All-new Kindle Paperwhite WiFi for ₹7,630 (effective) using code TAB15 at Paytm — http://t.co/x7TDtHxlu7
Please verify before using.
Old 15th October 2015, 07:17   #562
BHPian

The basic Kindle is available for 4999 on amazon.in, a discount of Rs.1000.
Old 15th October 2015, 07:37   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

What is your take on the 50$ new Kindle Fire as far as reading e-books only goes?
Old 15th October 2015, 15:56   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What is your take on the 50$ new Kindle Fire as far as reading e-books only goes?
IIRC, Kindle Fire is a tab from Amazon so it will be similar to any other backlit tab. It will involve eye strain after a short period. I dont think that is an e-ink reader.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:27   #565
BHPian

Perhaps a repeated question on this thread but given the technological advances happening daily, which is best kindle in terms of reading / VFM so far. I am looking to buy one for my occasional reading but majorly this will be Used by my 8 yrs old son. Just trying to get him into reading habits .

This could be stupid question but can he play games as well on Kindle. I understand it is based on Android but there is no play store. Hence looking for confirmation from those who own it already . What other functionality does it offer.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:40   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Perhaps a repeated question on this thread but given the technological advances happening daily, which is best kindle in terms of reading / VFM so far. I am looking to buy one for my occasional reading but majorly this will be Used by my 8 yrs old son. Just trying to get him into reading habits .

This could be stupid question but can he play games as well on Kindle. I understand it is based on Android but there is no play store. Hence looking for confirmation from those who own it already . What other functionality does it offer.
I have a paperwhite and also occasionally use the latest kindle without the backlight, I would say that at the current offer price (4999), the normal kindle is the best bet for occasional use.

Additionally it also contains a dictionary.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:47   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
the normal kindle is the best bet for occasional use.
Thanks for quick help. Other than reading, Is there anything else that can be done on it . I suspect though given the internal memory constraints.
Old 19th October 2015, 14:28   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for quick help. Other than reading, Is there anything else that can be done on it . I suspect though given the internal memory constraints.
I'm sorry I don't know about that as I have not tried anything other than books. I will test it tonight and revert on this.
Old 19th October 2015, 14:41   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing much really. It has a browser beta version, which is very slow and painful to use. No point really. Other than that, no apps or games possible. Pretty much useful only for books.

You probably know this already, but I thought I would mention anyway since you are buying for your child:
- ebook readers are pure B&W only, so if you are expecting to see colourful pics and graphic art, it's not possible
- graphics lay out (the way you see in PDF files) is not compatible on the Kindle. While basic B&W sketches do get reproduced in Kindle versions, the layouts, etc are lost.

I bought the Kindle touch for my daughter earlier this year, just before she turned 9. She has been addicted to reading for the last 2-3 years, and has really taken to the Kindle. In fact, we are now saved the trouble of carrying books for her when we travel, which is quite a boon for longer trips.
Old 19th October 2015, 16:47   #570
Team-BHP Support

If one's trying to initiate a child (or anyone really) to the reading habit, it makes more sense to buy a dedicated device like the Kindle which has no distractions to take one's mind away from the reading material.

Trying to read on phones, tablets, phablets etc. is a futile exercise most times with a myriad of annoyances jostling for one's attention every minute, even discounting the eye-strain from using a back-lit screen for extended periods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks