Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 20:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

But I thought as long as one adheres to Active Sync Protocol, all these things should be taken care of!
Is it not? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But I thought as long as one adheres to Active Sync Protocol, all these things should be taken care of!
Is it not? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Active synch is supported by Exchange and it is a standard pushed by MS that i just used as an example but what if the e-mail server does not support active synch ? Or due to some configuration issue not working properly ?
Old 8th June 2010, 11:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Active synch is supported by Exchange and it is a standard pushed by MS that i just used as an example but what if the e-mail server does not support active synch ? Or due to some configuration issue not working properly ?
Thats what was my doubt. Most servers today are exchange servers. Hence if they support Active Sync (MS Protocol as you rightly say), the set-up should be smooth. (For Non-BB phones supporting ActSync)

So the point you are raising is that how push-email would work for cases other than Active-Sync? Is that what you mean?

I have never thought of those scenarios. Are there quite many in number?
I thought most folks on Non-BB should connect through Active Sync for corporate accounts which are mostly Exchange servers.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what was my doubt. Most servers today are exchange servers. Hence if they support Active Sync (MS Protocol as you rightly say), the set-up should be smooth. (For Non-BB phones supporting ActSync)

So the point you are raising is that how push-email would work for cases other than Active-Sync? Is that what you mean?

I have never thought of those scenarios. Are there quite many in number?
I thought most folks on Non-BB should connect through Active Sync for corporate accounts which are mostly Exchange servers.
Not all corporate e-mails are Exchange servers, In fact only midsized used exchange and very large size are not usually exchange.
My organization as more then 1 lakh direct employees worldwide and many other partners and exchange server can not scale up to that level.

Also Active synch is most popular and even FLOSS email servers like Zimbra have active synch compliance but still it is not universal, Gmail for example uses google sync AFAIK which is slightly different.

For non active synch servers either the synch protocol need to be supported or there is another possibility the aggregation gateway acts as SMTP / POP3 and then send push message to mobile client.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. That explains it. Which also means all the E71 problems that people have been seeing are with non-Active Sync mail usage.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That explains it. Which also means all the E71 problems that people have been seeing are with non-Active Sync mail usage.
May be but only some Nokia expert or person diagnosing it can confirm.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Deciding between the E71 and E72 now, and tomorrow is decision day for my brother.
The E72 claims to have push-email while the E71 relies on the Nokia Messaging / Emoze etc. applications which will sync every 15 minutes or whatever pre-set intervals. Is that correct?

Can anyone tell me as to how (and how well) the push email on E72 works? My brother is more inclined towards the E71 but push email is making him think about the E72.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Deciding between the E71 and E72 now, and tomorrow is decision day for my brother.
The E72 claims to have push-email while the E71 relies on the Nokia Messaging / Emoze etc. applications which will sync every 15 minutes or whatever pre-set intervals. Is that correct?

Can anyone tell me as to how (and how well) the push email on E72 works? My brother is more inclined towards the E71 but push email is making him think about the E72.
Even E-71 works push-Email.

The main difference between E71 and E72 is a faster CPU and 3.2 versus 5MP camera. From that point of E-71 is a real VFM (also supports OVI maps/navigation; Ovi started with E72 and new models only. But now E71 and E66 are also supported).

I got my E71 three weeks back and it works like a charm (including push-mail)

Last edited by ampere : 24th June 2010 at 21:10.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:16   #24
oss
BHPian

Does E71 or E72 support flash player?
Old 27th June 2010, 21:49   #25
BHPian

I am using Nokia E-75 and confused on some points.

1. Whats is difference between between Nokia Mail and Nokia Mail For Exchange?
2. For any mail usage it is necessary to subscribe to office GPRS (e.g. Vodafone office connect?) someone told me it is possible to use Nokia mail for exchange on normal GPRS (e.g. Vodafone LIVE).
Old 28th June 2010, 01:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
I am using Nokia E-75 and confused on some points.

1. Whats is difference between between Nokia Mail and Nokia Mail For Exchange?
2. For any mail usage it is necessary to subscribe to office GPRS (e.g. Vodafone office connect?) someone told me it is possible to use Nokia mail for exchange on normal GPRS (e.g. Vodafone LIVE).
I dont know what is Vodafone LIVE. Is it something like Airtel live?
With regular GPRS internet access, you should be able to access office mail, if they are on exchange. E series supports Active Sync protocol by Microsoft and hence if your office allows non-BB phones to access your mail server, you should be good to go.

Not sure what is Nokia Mail. Mail for exchange is Nokia's native client for supporting Exchange server based mail access on your phone.
Old 28th June 2010, 01:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it doesn't work over normal GPRS. I've been trying over both Idea as well as Vodafone over the past week, when I wasn't aware of the difference between normal GPRS and Office Connect or whatever. It was a fellow member who told me that normal GPRS won't be workable with Nokia Mail.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:25   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I think it doesn't work over normal GPRS. I've been trying over both Idea as well as Vodafone over the past week, when I wasn't aware of the difference between normal GPRS and Office Connect or whatever. It was a fellow member who told me that normal GPRS won't be workable with Nokia Mail.
What is normal GPRS?

1. In Airtel terms, are you are referring to Airtel Live versis Mobile Office?
2. If yes, then be aware that Airtel Live does not provide access to all the sites. It is not a standard mobile internet connection. It provides access to limited sites.
3. You will need to subscribe to the standard internet package (called Mobile Office in Airtel terms).
Old 28th June 2010, 15:16   #29
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the replies. So basically I need to subscribe to vodafone mobile connect.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the replies. So basically I need to subscribe to vodafone mobile connect.
Do you need to connect to any exchange server ? If yes then you need ports open for that and that you can get in more expensive plan.

Normally Mobile operators provide plans just for browsing and port 80 , 8080,8081 , 9200 and 9201 are open rest are closed. In case you need exchange support then you needs other ports open.

If you just need web based mail like gmail , Nokia mail etc a regular plan is good enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks