Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 06:21   #15376
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
^^^Didn't quite get that. Examples?
Take a look at Google's apps here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cHBzLmRvY3MiXQ..

Most of these used to be baked into the OS earlier, now they are separate apps on the Play Store. Google can update these apps independently and users don't have to wait for an OS update to get new versions of these apps.

This is how Google is trying to tackle Android's fragmentation problem. See this video to understand what I'm trying to say -

And read this article too - http://androidandme.com/2013/05/opin...ut-of-io-2013/

Last edited by Gandhi : 13th June 2013 at 06:23.
Old 13th June 2013, 07:05   #15377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Take a look at Google's apps here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cHBzLmRvY3MiXQ..

Most of these used to be baked into the OS earlier, now they are separate apps on the Play Store. Google can update these apps independently and users don't have to wait for an OS update to get new versions of these apps.

This is how Google is trying to tackle Android's fragmentation problem. See this video to understand what I'm trying to say -

And read this article too - http://androidandme.com/2013/05/opin...ut-of-io-2013/
yeah but like the gmail app recently, which was rolled out on ICS+ versions only - I'm not sure its working that well.

See my recent post too!

Last edited by Eddy : 13th June 2013 at 11:24. Reason: removed video from the quoted portion
Old 13th June 2013, 08:31   #15378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yeah but like the gmail app recently, which was rolled out on ICS+ versions only - I'm not sure its working that well.

See my recent post too!
That's exactly what they want to avoid in future. GB did get stuck behind the curve due to major overhaul of OS as well as backend infrastructure in 4.0. That's when Google started working on separating their services out of core OS. They are heading the way desktop OSes work. OS version shouldn't really matter unless you are running really old version of the OS.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:27   #15379
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to avoid getting the LG tag onn a Nexus 4? Any retailers in Delhi who'd have a non-LG Nexus 4 that only says Nexus?
Old 13th June 2013, 15:23   #15380
BHPian

You wouldn't get a non-LG Nexus 4 on this planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there a way to avoid getting the LG tag onn a Nexus 4? Any retailers in Delhi who'd have a non-LG Nexus 4 that only says Nexus?
Old 13th June 2013, 15:36   #15381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
You wouldn't get a non-LG Nexus 4 on this planet
How about on Mars then?

Pardon my ignorance but I thought LG was selling the Nexus under its name in India only and people ordering it from US would get a non-LG nexus

I've finalized on this phone, will probably go for the white one only but have to look at it in person to figure how black front and white back is going to look in real.
Old 13th June 2013, 17:10   #15382
BHPian

Quote:
How about on Mars then?

Pardon my ignorance but I thought LG was selling the Nexus under its name in India only and people ordering it from US would get a non-LG nexus

I've finalized on this phone, will probably go for the white one only but have to look at it in person to figure how black front and white back is going to look in real.
First of all, thumbs up for deciding on the Nexus. It's a great phone for more reasons than one.

Regarding your question, as of now, Google doesn't manufacture phones (yes, it has bought Motorola, but that's another story). It works with phone manufacturers to manufacture the 'Nexus' phones, phones which are meant to showcase the best the current version of Android has to offer and also to offer a device to Android developers to play around with and test their apps. So Google made it's first Nexus phone partnering with HTC, made the next with Samsung (Galaxy Nexus) and the last was with LG (Nexus 4).
Old 13th June 2013, 18:13   #15383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Google works with phone manufacturers to manufacture the 'Nexus' phones, phones which are meant to showcase the best the current version of Android has to offer...
I guess OP is aware of this and I read his question as <<<Nexus 4 is available in USA with an explicit "Google" branding on the phone, whereas in India, it is branded "LG">>>

Fine69 - If you have any relatives/friends in US, you may be better off getting the phone from there. You will save some money also, at the cost of loss of warranty.

Last edited by skumare : 13th June 2013 at 18:15.
Old 13th June 2013, 18:27   #15384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I guess OP is aware of this and I read his question as <<<Nexus 4 is available in USA with an explicit "Google" branding on the phone, whereas in India, it is branded "LG">>>

Fine69 - If you have any relatives/friends in US, you may be better off getting the phone from there. You will save some money also, at the cost of loss of warranty.
I got my Nexus from US and on the back of the phone it says "nexus" (below the camera) and has the LG logo at the bottom. There's no 'Google branding' physically on the phone. Of course, when you power it on, 'Google' appears o the screen first, followed by the distinct 'X' of the Nexus.

Talking of price, the price with shipping and taxes worked out to $ 400 (~Rs 23200 at Rs 58 to the $). So if it were me, I would pay the extra Rs 2800 for getting the peace of mind associated with a warranty!
Old 13th June 2013, 18:42   #15385
Senior - BHPian

Though I have some relatives coming over from US exactly after one month from today but I wouldn't want to lose on warranty so I think I'd buy it from here only, specially if LG logo's going to stay even on the phone bought from there.

A little off-topic question, my company would reimburse me 15k + taxes for any phone, so if I bought Nexus 4 from a retailer what kind of money would I end up paying over and above this reimbursement?
Old 13th June 2013, 20:32   #15386
Senior - BHPian

I had got my Galaxy Nexus last year around August for $420 from my cousin who was coming down. It has Samsung and Google, both the logos printed on the battery cover. There is no warranty on it as at that time the Nexus was not officially launched in India. It is a decent phone but has become slightly laggy now after nearly a year and also hangs atleast once a week. I think it needs a factory reset just to clear the muck and maybe it will be back to slick again.

Overall i am happy with the phone and my usage is Whatsapp, Opera browser for FB and Gmail, calls would be 10 minutes or 30 minutes to the max.
Voice quality is good. Camera is 5MP with good daytime clicks and real bad night time ones.

The best part i like is the clean interface without any clutter that the companies shower on you. I decide what app i need and install it.
Old 13th June 2013, 22:54   #15387
BHPian

Quote:

A little off-topic question, my company would reimburse me 15k + taxes for any phone, so if I bought Nexus 4 from a retailer what kind of money would I end up paying over and above this reimbursement?
In Mumbai it is retailing at 24.5K.
Old 13th June 2013, 23:14   #15388
Senior - BHPian

Any App that displays the 'cell info' in the home screen?

My network(BSNL) always provides the locality name in the cell info, and it is helpful while traveling to know where the bus/train is, without the need to switch on google maps.
Old 14th June 2013, 06:15   #15389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Any App that displays the 'cell info' in the home screen?

My network(BSNL) always provides the locality name in the cell info, and it is helpful while traveling to know where the bus/train is, without the need to switch on google maps.
I think the option is there in the message settings / or display settings.
Old 14th June 2013, 07:17   #15390
BHPian

I need an app to display the current location of my tab on google maps. My tab is fixed on the car. Say am at home and the driver has taken the car I need to see where he s been speed and location. Can anyone suggest an app. Something like glympse but that works for limited time only not continuous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks