Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 16:56   #15421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post

Thanks Rohit, I did it now and my Grand is pretty fast. How do I make Ex Dialer the default one?
Thanks
You can do it in two ways:
1. Touch to launch the dialer. You will get the "complete action with" prompt. Select the ex dialer and select always. Do the same with contacts launcher.

2. Keep the dialer launcher icon pressed you will get three options. Select the change shortcut option --- applications and select the ex dialer from there.
Old 15th June 2013, 22:37   #15422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It will get 4.2 and nothing after that.
No scratch resistant glass
Yes, there's usb otg , you can search and check by googling
I found a youtube video where they have tested that OTG does not work
Only thing i find good about this device is its camera !! i hate samsung but looks like i will end up buying it. Even their flagship S4 looks so plasticky as compared to others who spend so much on the build
Old 16th June 2013, 01:23   #15423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a sub 20K phone with good camera. I had shortlisted Lumia 720 and Xperia L. Lumia i am dropping because of lack of app framework

I did not like the camera of Xperia L much. It did not appear as good as Sony claims it to be. Where as i found Samsung galaxy Grand camera to be Awesome(in this budget) Getting it for 17.6K on ebay.

I see that Grand has got mixed review, mainly because it is not topping any charts. But it seem to be good in most of the aspects. I am not going to do hardcore gaming anyway

So the question i have is:
1. Future upgrades - official as well as community (Will i get 4.2 and say 5 in future?)
2. Does it come with scratch resistant glass ?
3. Does it have OTG ?
Have checked out the Grand briefly, and found the screen to be sub par for a phone of its price range. Not that its terrible, but if you are used to better quality screens, the screen of the Grand might keep reminding you that you are using a sub-par phone. In fact, all the Samsung low to midrange phones I'v seen have poor quality low res. screens compared to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
^^Awesome, my dad is also complaining of lag in his Phone and says he want to buy s3 now

I'll do this and ask him to observe for few days. Let's see how it goes.
Lol, so you want to stick to Sammy despite the famous lag. Good for Samsung - make sluggish phones and rake in higher sales.
Old 16th June 2013, 01:28   #15424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Lol, so you want to stick to Sammy despite the famous lag. Good for Samsung - make sluggish phones and rake in higher sales.
Lol no, I am happy with my HTC one v and after using quite a few android phones in past. I can surely say that, no matter how powerful and fast your phone, sometimes it will lag for sure.

It's My dad who is Samsung loyalist, he is using them since last 6-7 years and is happy using them.
Old 16th June 2013, 11:54   #15425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Lol no, I am happy with my HTC one v and after using quite a few android phones in past. I can surely say that, no matter how powerful and fast your phone, sometimes it will lag for .
No, a phone need not lag at all, if properly handled.

What I meant is a good rooted phone will not hang even with the heaviest of applications iff proper scripts are used to manage them..
Old 16th June 2013, 11:58   #15426
BHPian

Some pretty decent deals an Smart phones and tablets for today.

http://www.desidime.com/premium_deal...ly-for-today-1
Old 16th June 2013, 12:14   #15427
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy Grand is possibly the most daft phone to buy at the price. Its got nothing going for it. Lags like hell, too big a screen for the resolution and looks horrendous. No finesse. But then again, its expected given Samsung releases a Galaxy phone almost everyday.
Old 16th June 2013, 15:29   #15428
Senior - BHPian

anybody using MHL

I bought a MHL cable yesterday, works great with my Galaxy S2 and (relatively old) digital TV for watching Youtube videos (mostly rhymes for my daughter), but I don't see what else to use it for.

Anyone has any ideas?
Old 16th June 2013, 19:13   #15429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No, a phone need not lag at all, if properly handled.

What I meant is a good rooted phone will not hang even with the heaviest of applications iff proper scripts are used to manage them..
Mostly true, but not everyone can or wants to root his phone. It should give decent performance out of the box... but so many phones do not, mostly thanks to manufacturer's and operators (abroad) bloat. For eg. my dad bought a Samsung Droid and it lags. I just don't have the time or want to put in the effort root it and weed out bloat and all. Most of my non-techie friends don't even know what is rooting. For them, what sameer said is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Galaxy Grand is possibly the most daft phone to buy at the price. Its got nothing going for it. Lags like hell, too big a screen for the resolution and looks horrendous. No finesse. But then again, its expected given Samsung releases a Galaxy phone almost everyday.
Exactly what I thought. But still, almost everyone I know who has been in the market recently to buy a phone considers (and has even bought) this Grand piece of work from Samsung. Like it or not, Samsung's marketing magic works.
Old 16th June 2013, 20:50   #15430
BHPian

A friend is planning to upgrade from her existing problematic HTC Wildfire S. The main question is - XOLO Q1000 or Micromax Canvas HD ? Also, if anyone can suggest a better alternative to either of these, but within a price range of 15-20k, then please do !
Old 16th June 2013, 20:54   #15431
Senior - BHPian

Xperia Z battery usage.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130616_205310.png
Views: 531
Size:  215.2 KB
Old 16th June 2013, 22:26   #15432
Senior - BHPian

Why is it that with Android phones the headline figure is always million core cpu and gpu while iPhone is all about how it just all works?
Old 16th June 2013, 22:57   #15433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why is it that with Android phones the headline figure is always million core cpu and gpu while iPhone is all about how it just all works?
Because we can.
They don't have that luxury.
Old 17th June 2013, 00:01   #15434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not really. I am happy on a 2010 model Motorola Defy, using CM7 derived custom rom.

I have one qualification criteria for any smartphone, before I consider them. It has to be below 20K. None of the iPhones have a prayer to qualify.

After sticking to my very first android phone for over two years, now I am looking for the next <20K phone to replace it. Not easy, so far only Lumia 720 looks likely.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:35   #15435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Because we can.
They don't have that luxury.
uh, excuse me.

I still don't understand why Samsung gave the S4 two sets of quad-core processors, except for them playing musical chairs among themselves.

In terms of response, the S3 was good enough. Seriously - most people just need to browse the internet, check facebook and email etc. Two quad cores is beyond overkill.

Most Viewed