Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 17:26   #15571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
We are severely OT here - this thread is about Android and Android phones.

PS: Perhaps we can take the physics part off line? You have assumed that a human finger is able to induce a little current (not sure where) due to the presence of a magnetic field. There could be a lot of practical uses of that principle, were it to be true. It would help if we know how current is produced in the presence of magnetic fields, since we live in a magnetic field (earth's!) all our lives.
I never said finger induces the current anyway so please don't assign this assumption on my part. Since it is OT and my post with detailed explanation is deleted I won't explain it again.

But since you reminded this is an Android thread the on-topic fact is that yes a very strong magnetic flux can sometimes produce spurious input signals on Android mobile phones so should be. When I say very strong it means similar to a speaker magnet.

On Android mobile phones with EMR stylus cases/covers with strong magnets ( 5 - 10 milli T or typical strength of refrigerator magnet) impacts normal usage as well.

The second part I have personally experienced.

PS : I guess I know more about Samsung phones then Samsung Technical Support team at-least.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th June 2013 at 17:49. Reason: Redundant part edited out
Old 27th June 2013, 17:58   #15572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I never said finger induces the current anyway so please don't assign this assumption on my part. ...
Linky. Specifically: "Presence of magnetic flux ( a magnetic case with hand movement) induces a little current and thus can change capacitance".

Let's let is slide, shall we? Maybe you didn't mean it. I don't mind losing an argument and a point, even if I am right. Forgive me!
Old 27th June 2013, 18:32   #15573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Linky. Specifically: "Presence of magnetic flux ( a magnetic case with hand movement) induces a little current and thus can change capacitance".

Let's let is slide, shall we? Maybe you didn't mean it. I don't mind losing an argument and a point, even if I am right. Forgive me!
So here is a sample link
http://www.ferrodevices.com/1/297/fi...evsH-field.pdf

Mobile phones are never used on tripods and often used with jerky movements so yes a moving magnetic case with strong magnet will create magnetic flux and some amount of change will be there.

Is it significant for practical usage the answer will be no so my original response stands.

Last edited by DerAlte : 28th June 2013 at 14:13. Reason: Redundant parts edited out
Old 27th June 2013, 18:34   #15574
Senior - BHPian

Reviews of "Google Edition" HTC One and S4 are out:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/44...android-review

Does anyone know if it is possible to use LTE phones in India (possibly with Reliance CDMA)?
Old 27th June 2013, 18:45   #15575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Reviews of "Google Edition" HTC One and S4 are out:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/44...android-review

Does anyone know if it is possible to use LTE phones in India (possibly with Reliance CDMA)?
No you can not use the phones available abroad with Indian LTE networks as bands are different also Indian operators use TD LTE and there are not many mobiles with TD LTE today.
( except HK / China but they are on different band)

Jio / Infotel ( Mukesh Ambani) is going to launch LTE very soon and as per rumors he is tying up with brother Anil for 2G.
I expect that it will be Reliance GSM not CDMA.

CDMA involves paying royalty to qualcomm. There was a tussle between Reliance and Qualcomm couple of years back over per line royalty payment QC was charging Reliance much more then what they were asking Chinese operators so reliance decided to expand using GSM.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th June 2013 at 18:53.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:09   #15576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No you can not use the phones available abroad with Indian LTE networks as bands are different also Indian operators use TD LTE and there are not many mobiles with TD LTE today.
Thanks, is there any issue other than bands?

EDIT : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2982921

Like he got "Galaxy Note 2 CDMA - US Sprint CDMA version" to work in India, is it possible to use S4 ? Its fine if LTE does not work and only "CDMA" works (I mean CDMA's equivalent of GPRS).

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 27th June 2013 at 19:20.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:19   #15577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, is there any issue other than bands?
TD vs FD
US / EU operators use FD LTE where as Airtel and Jio will use TD LTE .
So even if frequency band is same it will be important to check this.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:23   #15578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TD vs FD
US / EU operators use FD LTE where as Airtel and Jio will use TD LTE .
Okay, can the phone be used without LTE? E.g. this post.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:32   #15579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, can the phone be used without LTE? E.g. this post.

Oh Yes sure just on CDMA is fine but question is why to take that route ?

I would say you can buy a 3G-UMTS Note 2 with warranty at less then 31K in India and Mobile number portability is already there . In case Reliance 3G/GSM is there in your circle you can ask them to shift you to Reliance 3G my father did that in MP as Reliance has 3G license there bandwidth throughput is far better with 3G ( UMTS)

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th June 2013 at 19:33.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:50   #15580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Yes sure just on CDMA is fine
Cool, that works for me thanks for the info.

Quote:
but question is why to take that route ?

I would say you can buy a 3G-UMTS Note 2 with warranty at less then 31K in India
Convenience.

I can buy S4 in India, but dont have time for rooting and getting rid of Touchwiz. Had fun doing that for S3, just dont have time for 3 - 4 months. I have Nexus 4, but it cant be my daily driver since it does not have Micro SD card.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:07   #15581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Convenience.

I can buy S4 in India, but dont have time for rooting and getting rid of Touchwiz. Had fun doing that for S3, just dont have time for 3 - 4 months. I have Nexus 4, but it cant be my daily driver since it does not have Micro SD card.
It would be good to have a poll, on how often people change a cell phone. Here I am still thinking of buying a Nexus-4 (of course there are other choices) itself. And you are already thinking of a Nexus-4 Upgrade !
Still am thinking because I am still happy with my Atrix 2. Would be good to see this perspective of cell phone change rate coupled along with age group.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2013 at 20:09.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:43   #15582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And you are already thinking of a Nexus-4 Upgrade !
Expense account for devices One of the (few :( ) perks of programmers.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:57   #15583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Expense account for devices One of the (few :( ) perks of programmers.
Good one! Turly a programmer's perk ! (I still have to thank you for helping me port MMI/Satguide maps into Mapsource/Basecamp/Roadtrip ! )

As I mentioned some pages earlier I was about to dump my Atrix 2. 3G life was real bad. I tried all apps; juice defender, go power, Llama 3G toggles etc. Nothing worked well. And on top of it multiple sync accounts were too much for the humble dual core 1G OMAP 4430. I started looking Xperia ZR or Nexus-4. I went to local shops asking how would they offer for Atrix-2 and they replied... Sorry sir we dont take Moto ! No re-sale. I felt like I was trying to sell my Ford Fusion Petrol all over again!

In frustration I removed FB and Linkedin off the phone. It became much faster. Now battery was the only problem. Finally I turned to Tasker and I cannot thank it enough. 3G life now is more than 30 hours. Added benefits include total phone automation. So for the moment I am fully satisfied. Lets see how long I can hold on to it. Another positive for Moto is the awesome build quality.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2013 at 21:06.
Old 27th June 2013, 23:52   #15584
Senior - BHPian

Anybody bought a Sony Xperia ZR yet?
Have some questions to ask about the phone before I take the plunge.

Its strange that there are NO reviews on any sites like phonearena, GSMarena etc.
Old 28th June 2013, 00:06   #15585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good one! Turly a programmer's perk ! (I still have to thank you for helping me port MMI/Satguide maps into Mapsource/Basecamp/Roadtrip ! )

As I mentioned some pages earlier I was about to dump my Atrix 2. 3G life was real bad. I tried all apps; juice defender, go power, Llama 3G toggles etc. Nothing worked well. And on top of it multiple sync accounts were too much for the humble dual core 1G OMAP 4430. I started looking Xperia ZR or Nexus-4. I went to local shops asking how would they offer for Atrix-2 and they replied... Sorry sir we dont take Moto ! No re-sale. I felt like I was trying to sell my Ford Fusion Petrol all over again!

In frustration I removed FB and Linkedin off the phone. It became much faster. Now battery was the only problem. Finally I turned to Tasker and I cannot thank it enough. 3G life now is more than 30 hours. Added benefits include total phone automation. So for the moment I am fully satisfied. Lets see how long I can hold on to it. Another positive for Moto is the awesome build quality.
Hi Ampere,
Is 4.2.2 available for Atrix 2 officially ? I have been using the phone for the last few months, and really love the build quality, look and feel. Recently added a 16gb SD HC I card from Sony and the phone has been slightly sluggish, but not really a cause for worry.

No issues with battery. I haven't loaded the phone with apps. Just FB, Yahoomail, Skype . Offtopic - Shifted to Android after using Sony Ericsson k810i for over 4.5 year's. What an incredible phone it is. Still have the phone with me. Amazing build quality. Didn't change the battery even once. No scratches on the screen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks