Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 20:55   #15706
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Flyte is closed down: What next?

I have been using Flyte from Flipkart as my preferred source of MP3 songs for about an year.
They had most of the tracks I needed from the freshest to classics, be it international, Hindi or regional languages.
Tracks were priced between Rs 5 to 15 which I thought was very reasonable.
I could download just the track I needed rather than get the whole album.
The app let me download direct to my phone and into my play list.
Most importantly, it saved me from pangs of guilt over piracy since I could pay for each track thus showing my appreciation for those artists I loved.

Unfortunately, Flyte closed down on 17 Jun this year.

Any suggestions on an alternate app that would offer me these features?
Old 5th July 2013, 21:26   #15707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Flyte is closed down: What next?

I have been using Flyte from Flipkart as my preferred source of MP3 songs for about an year.
They had most of the tracks I needed from the freshest to classics, be it international, Hindi or regional languages.
Tracks were priced between Rs 5 to 15 which I thought was very reasonable.
I could download just the track I needed rather than get the whole album.
The app let me download direct to my phone and into my play list.
Most importantly, it saved me from pangs of guilt over piracy since I could pay for each track thus showing my appreciation for those artists I loved.

Unfortunately, Flyte closed down on 17 Jun this year.

Any suggestions on an alternate app that would offer me these features?
Have you tried simple mp3 downloader on the market?
Its a free app vetted by Google and available on play.
Old 5th July 2013, 21:48   #15708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Have you tried simple mp3 downloader on the market?
Its a free app vetted by Google and available on play.
Thanks for the input.
I have MP3 downloader; it's a good app. But as far as I know it only offers free international tracks. I am trying to move away from piracy and buy songs that I like incl Hindi and regional tracks.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:57   #15709
Senior - BHPian

The IR blaster 'Watch On' app on S4 works like a charm. I have tried it on 2 different TVs and 2 different Set top boxes. Only for the DishTv box, the app couldn't get the menu. The user interface is excellent.
Old 6th July 2013, 11:20   #15710
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The IR blaster 'Watch On' app on S4 works like a charm. I have tried it on 2 different TVs and 2 different Set top boxes. Only for the DishTv box, the app couldn't get the menu. The user interface is excellent.
Works well for all TV's. But I have a cisco set top box from my local cable service and it just won't work with it.
Not much use if it can't control the STB.
Old 6th July 2013, 18:45   #15711
Senior - BHPian

Is anybody on ParanoidAndroid on their Nexus 4? I'm currently running stock Android however after having used WIUI on Defy Plus stock just isn't working out for me.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:21   #15712
BHPian

Are there any apps in the Play store (more like basic dev environment with compiler etc.) that will help in basic (not BASIC) programming, my kid is interested and wants to start off on simple programs, "hello world", "a+b = c" etc To put it other way, how does one do programming exercises and check out the results on a pad (Nexus 7)?
Old 7th July 2013, 15:23   #15713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
basic (not BASIC) programming, my kid is interested and wants to start off on simple programs,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...turtlegraphics

I had used this for the first time in late 80s / early 90s. Kids can controls a "Turtle" on screen and send it anywhere on screen for drawing. Supports basic programing constructs like loops.
Old 7th July 2013, 18:47   #15714
HKS
BHPian

Now there are so many Full HD devices in the market. Especially the budget ones.

http://www.***************/buying-gui...ew/2013/07/07/

I'm happy I got the Passion Z, happy with it. Sometimes I think should get rid of my iPhone 5.
Old 7th July 2013, 20:29   #15715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
Now there are so many Full HD devices in the market. Especially the budget ones.

http://www.***************/buying-gui...ew/2013/07/07/

I'm happy I got the Passion Z, happy with it. Sometimes I think should get rid of my iPhone 5.
Could you share more about your experience on Passion Z?
I am looking for an upgrade to my Dell Streak
This batch of Full HD phones looks amazing!
I have read through the specs. Please share your comments - likes / dislikes / special mentions.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 7th July 2013, 21:42   #15716
Senior - BHPian

A weird problem with my Galaxy S Duos: The screen switches off after a few seconds, as per the Display settings, and then the phone simply doesn't respond. The buttons don't light up, tapping either the Home key or the power key don't bring the phone back on, and the only two options are to either do a reset by holding down the power key or to remove the battery and then put it back on and then start the phone.

I checked on the net, and found of late there are many other Galaxy (Note) owners complaining of the same. The software version on my phone is the same as the factory default, which is 4.0.4. I also tried a hard reset to factory defaults, but to no avail.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else here faced the same? What is the solution for the same, other than give it back to Samsung? The phone's still under warranty but somehow I am not comfortable with the phone going back to the service centre.
Old 8th July 2013, 01:09   #15717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
A weird problem with my Galaxy S Duos....
I faced a similar issue with my Galaxy Nexus. The screen used to switch off all of a sudden and the phone would stop responding. Only way out was to pull the battery! Mind you this wasn't the usual screen timeout, it would even switch off when I was typing something!!

One fine day, switched from XenonHD+Franco kernel to Paranoid Android+stock kernel (both 4.2). I haven't faced this problem since. Can't say if it was the ROM, or the kernel, or even something else.

If it's a totally stock phone under warranty, why not check with the service center?
Old 8th July 2013, 06:52   #15718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If it's a totally stock phone under warranty, why not check with the service center?
It's a stock phone and under warranty, but locating the service centre, making rounds of it and then praying and waiting for the phone to be repaired or replaced, and then further headache if the phone still doesn't work etc. are not really prospects which appeal me.

I shall still give it a try just to check if Samsung has improved in this area (very bad memories of another old Samsung phone gone for repairs where we just walked out of the service centre after noticing a big crowd waiting for their phones to come back to them after months - that was years ago), but mainly I wanted to confirm if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. If switching to another ROM solves it, it's probably a software glitch. In which case I wonder why it took four months for the problem to surface.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:37   #15719
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Could you share more about your experience on Passion Z?
I am looking for an upgrade to my Dell Streak
This batch of Full HD phones looks amazing!
I have read through the specs. Please share your comments - likes / dislikes / special mentions.

Thanks,

Ace.
Like: Screen resolution, sleek-ness of the device, good battery, powerful processor.

I haven't faced any issues yet. It has been about 2 weeks.

Only issue you will have that certain games aren't ready for this screen quality, so they will pixelate a bit. But this is only a matter of time. In their next upgrade games will be fine. I haven't played the games, but read this in the review.

http://www.***************/reviews/wi...ew/2013/06/01/
Old 8th July 2013, 09:49   #15720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...turtlegraphics... supports basic programing constructs like loops...
Thanks, will check it out.

Most Viewed