Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 11:35   #15721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's a stock phone and under warranty, but locating the service centre, making rounds of it and then praying and waiting for the phone to be repaired or replaced, and then further headache if the phone still doesn't work etc. are not really prospects which appeal me
Yes, service centers are a pain to deal with. For anything.

Hopefully the Samsung guys will try a reflash with odin first rather than delving in the hardware. Even in my case, it started out of the blue! I hadn't updated the rom/kernel anything in the preceding days.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:41   #15722
Senior - BHPian

anyone got the 4.2.2 update for their htc ones?
Old 8th July 2013, 15:30   #15723
HKS
BHPian

NOTE FROM MOD

Quote:

Please note that sharing links to sites that you are involved with is not permitted on Team-BHP, as it can be construed as marketing/promotion.

What IS allowed :
  • Members are more than welcome to link to ANY site (Indian or International) which they have no vested interest in, provided it is relevant to the topic being discussed.
  • Members are required to link to the source site when information or content is being replicated here, in order to give that site due credit (provided it doesn't break any rule below).
What is NOT allowed :
  • Publicizing your personal or business website (in places other than your intro thread or the "homepage" field in your profile).
  • Posting links to a site you have commercial or vested interests in.
  • Repeated posting links to blogs written by you, esp on sites and platforms where you have a major interest (eg tech review blog where you are a founder member)
  • Linking to any external web address in your signature.
Please take this as a final warning.

Thanks

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th July 2013 at 16:38.
HKS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th July 2013, 10:30   #15724
BHPian

What Phone???

Hi Friends,

I am completely a newbie in terms of smart-phones and would like to venture it out now. Help me with your suggestions; my requirements are:

1. Budget: I don't want to spend more than 20K for a 1st Smart phone

2. Life Expectancy: Want to keep it at least for 4 years (I always owned Nokias in the past and each phone worked well for 3 to 4 years)

3. Dual Sim Support + GPS Navigation (must be cheaper in terms of bandwidth usage) is a must. Opted out of Apple iPhones mainly because it doesn't have dual sim phones.

3. a. Decent Front + Rear Cameras is a must (Will need for frequent Video calling)

4. Wife owns an Android (Samsung Galaxy); she says I must buy a really big phone which would help more effective surfing and documents editing. Even a big Tablet seems to be fine with her (but I have my own doubts - is a Tab really necessary? We own decent Laptops and a 10" Netbook)

5. Must be solid, elegant and durable.

6. Major usage target: Calling (Video & Audio), Photos when travelling, Navigation, Surfing and very few real life Apps. Not much inclined for gaming and Movies / Music.

Current Recommendation by friends: Galaxy Grand Duos / Grand Quadretto (Duo) / Micromax Canvas A116

And is "Online Buying" a good option for SmartPhones? (I find competitive pricing online than Mobile Shops).

Any educated suggestion (with best buyable Market price on your recommendation) will help my buying decision, thanks in advance friends!

Cheers!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 9th July 2013 at 10:33.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:16   #15725
BHPian

My wife and I both use the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. I guess it answers most of your requirements apart from the "solid, elegant and durable" bit since its an all-plastic construction. Other than that I find it really usable. The display resolution is not too good (compared with Sony Xperia etc.) but because of the large size you tend to hold it at a slightly greater distance so it isn't as noticeable. Speed, performance etc. are quite good and the cameras are decent as well. My vote is for this one.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:18   #15726
BHPian

Thanks Mate. Any luck (or bad luck) testing the impact resistance that it provides or is it too soft to actually provide any resistance on fall.

I don't want to compromise on the Back look, so I am averse to a case kind of thing.

Thanks.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:45   #15727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Thanks Mate. Any luck (or bad luck) testing the impact resistance that it provides or is it too soft to actually provide any resistance on fall.

I don't want to compromise on the Back look, so I am averse to a case kind of thing.

Thanks.
Thankfully (touch wood), haven't had an occasion to test the protection it provides. But I am sure it will provide a LOT less protection than the dual layer case cum holster I sometimes use or somewhat lesser protection than the Rearth Ringke SF Matte black case that I don't use (extra one). But since it showcases the beautiful back, I'm happy .
Old 9th July 2013, 17:03   #15728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Thankfully (touch wood), haven't had an occasion to test the protection it provides. But I am sure it will provide a LOT less protection than the dual layer case cum holster I sometimes use or somewhat lesser protection than the Rearth Ringke SF Matte black case that I don't use (extra one). But since it showcases the beautiful back, I'm happy .
Thanks for your prompt replies. How much did you spent on this one?

Is 1200 sortish Ok price for this?
Old 10th July 2013, 10:09   #15729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
My wife and I both use the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.

My vote is for this one.
Thanks Mate, This one is the top choice on my list right now. I see some online prices around 18K to 18.5 whereas shop prices range 19K to 20K.

1. Is it a good choice to buy it online?

I also read that the newly launched Micromax Canvas4 (with 13MP Front and 5MP rear cameras) is priced at 17999 INR and will be available on stores from June 21st. Will this bring down the price of Grand Duos?

2. Should I wait (at it is just 10 more days) or no point in waiting?

Cheers!!
M
Old 10th July 2013, 10:35   #15730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Thanks Mate, This one is the top choice on my list right now. I see some online prices around 18K to 18.5 whereas shop prices range 19K to 20K.

1. Is it a good choice to buy it online?

I also read that the newly launched Micromax Canvas4 (with 13MP Front and 5MP rear cameras) is priced at 17999 INR and will be available on stores from June 21st. Will this bring down the price of Grand Duos?

2. Should I wait (at it is just 10 more days) or no point in waiting?

Cheers!!
M
I have used Grand Duos and after some days with this;

http://www.thedostore.com/p-series-p...lue-p770b.html

I am now waiting for this:

http://www.thedostore.com/smartphone...lver-p780.html

I think you too should wait for it.

-Rohit
Old 10th July 2013, 16:41   #15731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Thanks for your prompt replies. How much did you spent on this one?

Is 1200 sortish Ok price for this?
The thing is, I bought it on Amazon, USA. You don't get it easily in India. With Amazon starting operations in India and expanding their product coverage, you may have more options in the days to come. Keep an eye out for it on amazon.in. Till then, you'll have to take a call whether you want to spend that money on protecting cum showing off your Nexus 4 .
Old 10th July 2013, 17:55   #15732
Distinguished - BHPian

Xperia L users, can you pls post pics you have taken with the ph cam ?
Old 10th July 2013, 19:14   #15733
Team-BHP Support

latitude to go

http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-to-r...e-on-august-9/
Old 10th July 2013, 19:29   #15734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Xperia L users, can you pls post pics you have taken with the ph cam ?
Condor,

I am on the lookout for the same for my sister as well - please drop me a PM in case you get no replies but find some information through your own research.
Old 10th July 2013, 21:01   #15735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am on the lookout for the same for my sister as well -
The Samsung's seem to have better pic quality. In the test pics available on the web, The skin tones seem better with Samsung. But Xperia L has deeper blues, and clarity is sometimes better in Xperia L but below Samsung in other places.

Hope someone shares the pics.

Most Viewed