Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 11:59   #16006
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My Samsung Galaxy S2 runs Supernexus 4.2.2 rom now. Its simply amazing. My battery life has increased to 150% over stock 4.1.2. The phone uses around 450mb or RAM now. It used 600+ earlier. Overall, am very happy!
Is there an official update for the S2? Mine still runs on 4.1.2, will an external update be reliable?
Old 8th August 2013, 12:00   #16007
Senior - BHPian

Android Device Manager only partially work on CM roms. Not sure if it's the Root that's not allowing the Device Manager to locate the phone or the ROM itself, but it won't work.

However, "Ring" and "Send notification to device" works from this link:

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

EDIT: It takes a while to locate your phone, but it does work! Give it alteast 3-5 minutes after you enable GPS on your phone.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 8th August 2013 at 12:01.
Old 8th August 2013, 12:13   #16008
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend recently upgraded his GNex to 4.3 using the Nexus Toolkit on XDA. Prior to this he was totally stock. Flashed TWRP recovery and then the official factory image.

Right after the update, the phone stopped charging through the usb port. It is detected if connected to the pc - shows the notification but doesn't really charge. Battery is fine, charging well on a different phone. Cable is fine, checked with another one.

He gave it to a local repair shop who claims the usb port is fine and this is something else! He is planning to take it to Samsung guys. Since, it wasn't officially sold here, not really sure how much will they be able to help.

Any thoughts guys?

EDIT: Also, can rooting/unlocking the bootloader really cause such a prob? I think this could be a h/w issue more than anything else. The above method also worked fine for my GNex, only difference being, I was on a custom rom and already root/ bootloader unlocked.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 8th August 2013 at 12:19.
Old 8th August 2013, 12:18   #16009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A friend recently upgraded his GNex to 4.3 using the Nexus Toolkit on XDA. Prior to this he was totally stock. Flashed TWRP recovery and then the official factory image.

Right after the update, the phone stopped charging through the usb port. It is detected if connected to the pc - shows the notification but doesn't really charge. Battery is fine, charging well on a different phone. Cable is fine, checked with another one.

He gave it to a local repair shop who claims the usb port is fine and this is something else! He is planning to take it to Samsung guys. Since, it wasn't officially sold here, not really sure how much will they be able to help.

Any thoughts guys?
Looks like this is a generic issue, probably software. Does it charge when switched off?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2378346

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-3-update.html

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 8th August 2013 at 12:19.
Old 8th August 2013, 13:52   #16010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Looks like this is a generic issue, probably software. Does it charge when switched off?
I have the Nexus-7 Tab. With 4.3 I se no issues. Seemless update and it works nicely.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:20   #16011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Android Device Manager only partially work on CM roms. Not sure if it's the Root that's not allowing the Device Manager to locate the phone or the ROM itself, but it won't work.

EDIT: It takes a while to locate your phone, but it does work! Give it alteast 3-5 minutes after you enable GPS on your phone.
I am on Slim ROM and it worked perfect. As earlier mentioned it takes few second to locate your device after the GPS is turned on.

Once you are in that page, left side you can see a dialog to send a notification to your device to allow device manager to perform erase. Click on it and you will get a notification on your device. Select it and in the resulting window click on Activate. Done!!!

There is no need to download any kind of software on your device to make Android Device Manager work. As of now, I am loving it.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:37   #16012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can only see 2 options on this web link. RIng and Erase device. Anyone else seeing more options?
Mine is nexus 4 all stock on 4.3
Old 8th August 2013, 14:47   #16013
BHPian

Any Xperia ZR users here? Has anyone got the 4.2.2 update?
Old 8th August 2013, 16:11   #16014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I can only see 2 options on this web link. RIng and Erase device. Anyone else seeing more options?
Nothing worked for me too. I'm on CM 10.1.

EDIT - Even after the GPS was switched on - nothing.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 8th August 2013 at 16:13.
Old 8th August 2013, 16:40   #16015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Nothing worked for me too. I'm on CM 10.1.

EDIT - Even after the GPS was switched on - nothing.
Okay, just rechecked. The only two options available, once you're registered, are the "Ring" and "Erase Device". For the initial registration, you're given an option of sending out a notification to the device right below these two options, but it later disappears once your phone is setup.

Like I mentioned earlier, you're supposed to wait for atleast 3-5 minutes after enabling GPS on your phone to allow it to track your device. Tracking may take longer depending on how poor your GPS signal is. Keep on hitting the "Refresh" button if it doesn't work the first time.

I'm on CM 10.1 too and it took me atleast 4-5 minutes before it could pinpoint my device to an accuracy of 22 meters.
Old 8th August 2013, 16:47   #16016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like I mentioned earlier, you're supposed to wait for atleast 3-5 minutes after enabling GPS on your phone to allow it to track your device. Tracking may take longer depending on how poor your GPS signal is. Keep on hitting the "Refresh" button if it doesn't work the first time.
So this cannot switch on the GPS remotely for tracking ?
Its been more than 30 minutes I have been trying to locate - unsuccessful still.

Also when I click on Ring Device - it says device was rung - but nothing happens on the phone. It doesnt ring at all.

Android Lost is also listed as one of the device managers on my phone - can that be a reason ?

Android lost does a wonderful job though !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 8th August 2013 at 16:48.
Old 8th August 2013, 17:16   #16017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been more than 30 minutes I have been trying to locate - unsuccessful still.

Also when I click on Ring Device - it says device was rung - but nothing happens on the phone. It doesnt ring at all.

Android Lost is also listed as one of the device managers on my phone - can that be a reason ?

Maybe there's a conflict since both are designed to perform the same function. Try uninstalling Android Lost, reboot and then check if ADM works. However, if Android Lost is working well for you, I don't see any reason for you to make a move to the official Google ADM.

I don't believe Google ADM can switch on the phone's GPS remotely. But, what I can confirm is I tried the Ring Device option without activating the GPS and it did successfully ring my phone on Full volume, even if I was on mute. Don't know how that would work, but it did!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 8th August 2013 at 17:18.
Old 8th August 2013, 19:29   #16018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, just rechecked. The only two options available, once you're registered, are the "Ring" and "Erase Device". For the initial registration, you're given an option of sending out a notification to the device right below these two options, but it later disappears once your phone is setup.

I'm on CM 10.1 too and it took me atleast 4-5 minutes before it could pinpoint my device to an accuracy of 22 meters.
I didn't see any notification to the device option below the two options before phone was set up. Took around 2-3 mins for my phone to connect. It will ring on full volume even if the phone is on silent profile. I read it in the notes.

I can see this as a good stalking option for spouses to keep track of each others whereabouts

Quote:

I tried the ring device option and it rang in the first try itself. i don't think android lost is conflicting with this in any way cos i also have Where is my droid installed and my phone still rang on the first try. Still try it again with android lost off to check.

Last edited by harry10 : 8th August 2013 at 19:31.
Old 8th August 2013, 19:38   #16019
Senior - BHPian

Just tried the device manager and it rang in the first try itself. Phone is GNexus and GPS was off. Also tried it on a friends GGrand and got the ring.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:59   #16020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I think it's better you disable any apps you don't want hogging resources through the Application Manager. Use 'Force Stop > Disable' under the 'All' tab for specific applications you want to disable, and see if things improve. Keep a restore as last option.
Update to post no 15999 on previous page.
Phone: S3
Problem: 06.08.2013 OTA update induced lag.
Solution: Got rid of resource hog macro droid. things back to normal no restore required. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall might have cured the problem. Did not verify.

Anyone using Tasker? is it also the same resource hog? last i checked macro droid had consumed 8% battery over 16 hours.

Most Viewed