Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 14:31   #17536
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

We are looking to implement a sales force automation system for our companies field force via a third part Android App.

To make this a success we need a device that fits the bill:
1. Battery life is prime importance (Less talk more touchscreen/app usage for approx for approx 7 to 8 hours a day)
2. Large screen, minimum 4 inch
3. Camera atleast 2mp

Budget is approx 5000 to 7500Rs.

Some devices considered:
iBall Andi4d+ (have heard battery life is not adequate)
Samsung S7262

Please recommend the best model. I believe micromax has some good options too but not sure which models.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:17   #17537
Senior - BHPian

That Datawind Akash etc was yet another Scam.

I too received the call from there team a few months back in late 2013, when i don't even remember when i made the order. They offered an upgraded version of the Tab.

No thanks, i said.
Much better options available in market at same or lesser price.
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:25   #17538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
To make this a success we need a device that fits the bill:
1. Battery life is prime importance (Less talk more touchscreen/app usage for approx for approx 7 to 8 hours a day)
2. Large screen, minimum 4 inch
3. Camera atleast 2mp

Budget is approx 5000 to 7500Rs.
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-idea-...BDMZR8JCJVHRMZ

This might fit the bill. Primarily due to 3500 MAh battery and 7 inch screen.
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:20   #17539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
That Datawind Akash etc was yet another Scam.

I too received the call from there team a few months back in late 2013, when i don't even remember when i made the order. They offered an upgraded version of the Tab.
I hear from sources I condider reliable that a major politico of the ruling party has significant equity in Datawind. cannot elaborate further here.
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:04   #17540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-idea-...BDMZR8JCJVHRMZ

This might fit the bill. Primarily due to 3500 MAh battery and 7 inch screen.
That's a great option! I just hope it's not too big to fit into a pocket. However there is one major drawback, this is a 2G device !

Also does anyone have a direct contact for Lenovo? As we want to procure bulk quantity

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd February 2014 at 12:07.
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:08   #17541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
That's a great option! I just hope it's not too big to fit into a pocket. However there is one major drawback, this is a 2G device !
I dont think any device in this class would last for 7 -8 hours with 3G.

For that you need to use either a iPad class deice (11,000 MAH) or use a battery pack like the devices used by DHL / FedEx etc (10000 MAH).

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd February 2014 at 14:39. Reason: Typo corrected as requested.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:45   #17542
Senior - BHPian

My review of US model Sprint 'HTC One' - http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/36...ds-no-1-phone/ . Runs on both CDMA (programmed) and GSM (on sim). GSM and Wifi Hotspot is unlocked for worldwide use. Got it for 30k (here MRP is 43k). I have recently used iphone 5S, Moto X and Nexus 5 but still went back to this phone for its all metal (aluminum) design which is just cutting edge industrial design. It has been upgraded to 4.2.2 (KitKat) (and HTC Sense 5.5) which I think is the 2nd phone after Nexus 5. The ultra pixel camera is better than all these phones that I have mentioned.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-htc-one_1.jpg

On KitKat
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-4_4_2-update-02022014_5.png

3G (EVDO) speeds on Reliance CDMA that I am using it with
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-4_4_2-update-02022014_6.png

Wifi Hotspot works perfectly
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wifi-hotspot.png

Last edited by dkaile : 4th February 2014 at 12:46.
Old 4th February 2014, 15:41   #17543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
M I have recently used iphone 5S, Moto X and Nexus 5 but still went back to this phone for its all metal (aluminum) design which is just cutting edge industrial design.
The industrial design comes at a price. The repairability score is 1 out of 10, meaning extremely difficult to open up without damaging the phone.
So, for example, if you wish to replace the battery, then finding someone capable is going to be a challenge.

For the other phones that you mention, they fare much better in this respect.
iPhone 5s Repairability: 6 out of 10
Moto X Repairability Score: 7 out of 10
Nexus 5 Repairability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
Old 4th February 2014, 15:58   #17544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The industrial design comes at a price.
The Lithium polymer battery is supposed to easily last 3 years plus. I usually don't keep phones more than a year. Repairability is not everything especially with a tough phone like this.

Here's another geek like me who has been using it for more than a year - http://www.zdnet.com/my-year-with-th...me-7000025864/
Old 4th February 2014, 16:57   #17545
gemi_kk

Quote:
The industrial design comes at a price. The repairability score is 1 out of 10, meaning extremely difficult to open up without damaging the phone.
So, for example, if you wish to replace the battery, then finding someone capable is going to be a challenge.

For the other phones that you mention, they fare much better in this respect.
iPhone 5s Repairability: 6 out of 10
Moto X Repairability Score: 7 out of 10
Nexus 5 Repairability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
Bud, do not discourage others.

I know that it has the worst repair-ability scores. But still, don't make him sad/feel bad.

P.S. Even i use a HTC one. Phone is Gorgeous. The only grouse being the pathetic repairabiliy scores and Black colored phone is loosing color.
By the way, mine is a Asian version of HTC one. And mine running on Android 4.3. Any reasons? Or the upgrade has been provided for US based phones?

Old 4th February 2014, 17:56   #17546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Bud, do not discourage others.

I know that it has the worst repair-ability scores. But still, don't make him sad/feel bad.
Please don't get me wrong. I am merely highlighting that the 'industrial design' which brings the solidity also has a down side. Other users on the forum who might be considering this (or similar expensive phones) might find this aspect to be important during their purchase process.
This is especially true to those looking at pre-owned phones, where after 1 year of heavy usage, the original buyer will sell the phone. Chances are the only thing that does not perform well is the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The Lithium polymer battery is supposed to easily last 3 years plus. I usually don't keep phones more than a year. Repairability is not everything especially with a tough phone like this.
Again, a lot depends on the lifestyle and the environmental factors.
Generally we would all like to use our gadgets carefully. But accidents do happen, right?
Hope you get the drift.
Old 4th February 2014, 18:43   #17547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other users on the forum who might be considering this (or similar expensive phones) might find this aspect to be important during their purchase process.
This is especially true to those looking at pre-owned phones, where after 1 year of heavy usage, the original buyer will sell the phone. Chances are the only thing that does not perform well is the battery.
Yeah gotta agree with this point. I bought the Nexus 4 preowned. The phone is just great! Only problem is battery life and I am thinking it is more about how the earlier owner used the phone. I am fine with opening the cover and replacing with a new battery - but it isn't easily replacable. But I will be doing it if I continue to get less battery life.
Old 4th February 2014, 23:49   #17548
BHPian

Settled for the HTC one dual SIM variant after shuffling through the likes of iphone5 , s4, note 3, etc.... Amazing build quality but this variant 802d is still on 4.2.2 :(
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391537863804.jpg  

Old 5th February 2014, 09:54   #17549
Senior - BHPian

Ah finally some HTC One lovers in here Got the silver at launch and then had it replaced to the black dual sim due to the purple tint problem.

Other than the lack of android update [still on 4.2.2] the phone is just awesome. Using a nilkin frosted case for it.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:40   #17550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ah finally some HTC One lovers in here Got the silver at launch and then had it replaced to the black dual sim due to the purple tint problem.

Other than the lack of android update [still on 4.2.2] the phone is just awesome. Using a nilkin frosted case for it.
Did HTC replace it for free? i got the same problem and plan on visiting the repair center tomorrow. i thought they would just fix it

Most Viewed