Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 12:49   #1771
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Thanks for the update clevermax. I am always scared about buying electronics online bcos I am skeptical about returns/exchanges from online sites if the package/cellphone is damaged in transit.
My shipment was so well packed that the chances of any damage during transit were almost nil. I think you don't need to worry about that.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th February 2011 at 12:51.
Old 8th February 2011, 13:50   #1772
BHPian

I tried the swype keyboard on my Desire Z, its fantastic... Now i hardly use the physical keyboard...
Old 8th February 2011, 13:57   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Cool, let me know how it is and also how the buying experience was with Flipkart.
I am planning to buy it from Alpha (if it is cheaper there) or from flipkart.
Ya sure will do that, I never liked Alpha as they dont have the time to show the mobile or for that matter anything you buy from them.

Regarding Flipkart it a start up by 2 IIT guys. The Price mentioned are almost at par with what you get in Local market may be about 200-300 difference. But i think that is again required as they need to spend on shipping and CC charges (Most of the local shops charge about 2% more when using CC)

Quote:
Forgot to ask another point: What about Octroi? Is it paid or do you need to pay the same?
Paid 14,990/- not sure about Octroi. Also i think you stay in Navi Mumbai should should not be an issue.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:35   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Paid 14,990/- not sure about Octroi. Also i think you stay in Navi Mumbai should should not be an issue.
Nope, I stay in Mumbai, hence Octroi applies for me. A couple of months back, I had emailed the same question to another Online website (letsbuy.com) and they said that I have to pay approx 6% of the cost as Octroi. They said that the courier guy would collect the amount from me and provide me with the receipt of the same.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:44   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am always scared about buying electronics online bcos I am skeptical about returns/exchanges from online sites if the package/cellphone is damaged in transit.
Quote:
Regarding Flipkart it a start up by 2 IIT guys. The Price mentioned are almost at par with what you get in Local market may be about 200-300 difference.
Flipkart is quite a reliable site. Have been hearing good things. I personally have bought some books and music cds and deliveries have been on time. A friend got a low end mobile and it was somehow delayed. The customer care was very helpful and friendly.

I am thinking of getting my next cell from them, if only I could decide on one!

Flipkart does have transit-insurance. Quoting from the site

Quote:
All Electronics sold on Flipkart are sourced from Indian suppliers authorized by the Manufacturer. They come with minimum 1 year Manufacturer's warranty & are serviceable at the corresponding brand's Authorized Service Center(s) in India, unless specified otherwise.

For Mobile Accessories, the supplied accessories inside the box have 6 months manufacturer warranty.

All Electronics (Mobiles, Gaming Consoles, Cameras & Laptops) are covered by free insurance coverage against theft and damage during transit.
Quote:
... I have to pay approx 6% of the cost as Octroi.
I think fellow mumbai bhpians who have already bought from them can clarify further. On the site, it says the prices are 'inclusive of all taxes'!!
Old 8th February 2011, 16:52   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think fellow mumbai bhpians who have already bought from them can clarify further. On the site, it says the prices are 'inclusive of all taxes'!!
Saw this on Flipkart's website FAQ:

What about warranty and hidden costs (sales tax, octroi etc.)? There are no extra taxes, hidden costs or additional shipping charges. The price mentioned on the website is the final price. What you see is what you pay. Our prices are all inclusive. All taxes are included with the list prices.
-----------------

Good to know that no additional octroi, etc to be paid
Old 8th February 2011, 17:31   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to ask another point: What about Octroi? Is it paid or do you need to pay the same?
Quote:
...not sure about Octroi. Also i think you stay in Navi Mumbai should should not be an issue.
Quote:
Nope, I stay in Mumbai, hence Octroi applies for me. A couple of months back, I had emailed the same question to another Online website (letsbuy.com) and they said that I have to pay approx 6% of the cost as Octroi. They said that the courier guy would collect the amount from me and provide me with the receipt of the same.
AFAIK, there is no octroi applicable. I stay in Mumbai too and in the last 3 years, I have bought a lot of things online - from different sites such as Tradus, Ebay, Flipkart, Indiaplaza etc. The price displayed is what you pay. I have never ever paid octroi/handling to courier/delivery boy.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:56   #1778
BHPian

I have a Samsung G3 with pre-installed Google Maps 4.3. The latest version of Google Maps is 5.1:

https://market.android.com/details?i...roid.apps.maps

Has anyone used this maps version. If I install it and it does not perform well (as mentioned in some of the comments) how do I revert to the previous version?
Old 8th February 2011, 20:16   #1779
BHPian

Hi All,

I am faced with a problem for email exchange. I bought the phone partly due to in build interface with MS exchange. How ever my company has moved towards microsoft exchange 2010 and the email has stopped working . ( with out any error message , after setting up the account)

searched net and found that the active directory might be the problem. Can any one please confirm if they are also facing any issues.

This issue can be a bummer for many business users and might force me towards Iphone / Ipad.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 8th February 2011 at 20:44.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:25   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
I have a Samsung G3 with pre-installed Google Maps 4.3. The latest version of Google Maps is 5.1:

Has anyone used this maps version. If I install it and it does not perform well (as mentioned in some of the comments) how do I revert to the previous version?
I also want to upgrade to this version but I am afraid whether brut mod for Google maps will. Work on it or not...
Old 8th February 2011, 22:52   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I also want to upgrade to this version but I am afraid whether brut mod for Google maps will. Work on it or not...
Go ahead with the brut, it's worth to try. Download the renamed version, am using it without any issues. You can have both versions on your machine.Posting from mobile, so can't give the links now.search the XDA forums for the link and select the renamed version.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:46   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post

I have upgraded google maps on my Galaxy5. new version was little unstable for the first couple of times i used but now, its absolutely fine. So, you can go ahead and upgrade this. The interface is much more improved with new version.
Old 9th February 2011, 00:12   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Why do you need HTC sync? I have installed apps by directly copying apk files from PC to the phone and then running those in the phone. I installed NFS Shift like that.

Normal way is to goto market and select install (in phone itself) but there are better ways.

1) Some sites will have a QR code displayed, you can conveniently browse in your PC, select that app, it will display the QR code. Run your favorite QR code scanner app in phone, point the phone to the code on PC screen, scan and that will trigger an install!

2) Best way: Browse for apps in your PC by going to market.android.com. You need to be signed into your Google account. Select any app and click "Install in my Phone" option, just watch the phone - the app will automatically start downloading in your phone and will get installed, without even touching your phone! Cool.. isn't it?
I am very new to the Android world hence these questions.
1. I do have installed such an app, will have a go at it once.

2. This seems like a good idea and I will try this. One more question, to use this option do I need a data plan?
My vodafone data plan is taking ages to be activated.

Thanks CM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Get "Astro file manager" or "Linda file manager" from Android market. Copy .apk from PC to SD card. Open Astro/Linda. Navgate to SD card, and tap on .apk to install. Could be a little different for Astro, I've used only Linda.

Now that currently you dont have an active data plan, you can use wi-fi to access Market and install these file managers.
I did use wi-fi and installed a few apps the other day. Now desperately waiting for the data plan to be active.

Thanks for the tips on the file managers, will get them pronto.
Old 9th February 2011, 08:00   #1784
BHPian

Re: Android applications

@five 46

Sorry for late response , I thought somebody (more informed than me ) will guide you.

Try app market and search for "app2sd card " this app will help you transfer apps to sd card.
But all apps can not be transferred.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2011, 08:46   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

For everyone who use their phone as more of a multimedia device, i seriously recommend both of these.

App name - PowerAMP
Free/Charge - Paid
What it does - Plays music.
How it performs (your rating) - Best audio player, ever! Very nice interface, a good equalizer, updates come out frequently, very nicely sorted out. And for all that it offers, its pretty cheap too!

App name - Act1 Video Player
Free/Charge - Paid
What it does - Like the name says, plays videos.
How it performs (your rating) - Again, very good. Worth every penny. Easy to use, and you get a fair bit of options as well.

This is an automotive app. Worth buying if you really want to know whats going on in your

App name - Torque
Free/Charge - Paid, expensive.
What it does - A lot of things you never thought your phone could do. Please check out the link of all the details. http://torque-bhp.com/
How it performs (your rating) - AWESOME!

Last edited by karthik247 : 9th February 2011 at 08:51.

Most Viewed