Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 14:11   #17986
Distinguished - BHPian

Applied the 11.49Mb update on my Samsung s3 and the performance has improved a little bit, specially for opening contacts. Seems to be some minor improvements in UI.

Also I recently saw Lenovo S660, seems a decent phone with 1.3 quad core 1 gb ram 4.7 inch Ips screen and 3000mah battery. This is available for 13k on flipkart.
Old 9th April 2014, 15:46   #17987
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Heck, my S3 is non-laggy only with CM11.
I don't know how I managed with touchwiz, for the first 10 months. I have been using CM 10.2, since the day the stable version released. It dramatically transformed the S3. It's been about 4 months or so. Been quite thrilled with it.
What is your feedback on CM 11? There's a snapshot version which came out recently. I'm contemplating whether or not to get it.

Last edited by promit : 9th April 2014 at 15:48.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:50   #17988
BHPian

Guys, I got myself the Sony Z1 compact after almost 24 months with a Note 1 . Wanted a small yet powerful handset and this suited me to the "T". I was really hapy with how it performed with Jellybean and one fine morning, the update for Kitkat showed up. I just went ahead with the upgrade.

I started experiencing glitches and the main one i have is data connection drop. Every 20secs, the phone looses its data connection and switches between Edge and 3G. Added to this, my notifications and phone ring audio is routed to the internal speaker randomly!

Did a bit of google baba darshan and found out that Kitkat for Z1 has a lot to be sorted and no one seems to have the confidence that Sony is geared up to resolve the issues. Amidst all this, the only option that many have gone for is a custom ROM. I would love to just switch back to Jelly bean if possible even.

Can someone guide me on opting the same for a Z1 compact and how to go about it ? Ive read a lot but seems like region based files are critical so that the phone doesn't crash. Is there any India model Specific "to do" guide ?

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 9th April 2014 at 16:52.
Old 9th April 2014, 17:36   #17989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

The original galaxy S was grossly underpowered. The new galaxy S duos 2 has a Broadcom SOC similar to the galaxy grand.
Agree sirjee but having used two S3's, I find TouchWiz laggy even on the S3. Thus I have no expectations from the S Duos 2.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:18   #17990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Guys, I got myself the Sony Z1 compact after almost 24 months with a Note 1 . Wanted a small yet powerful handset and this suited me to the "T". I was really hapy with how it performed with Jellybean and one fine morning, the update for Kitkat showed up. I just went ahead with the upgrade.

I started experiencing glitches and the main one i have is data connection drop. Every 20secs, the phone looses its data connection and switches between Edge and 3G. Added to this, my notifications and phone ring audio is routed to the internal speaker randomly!

Did a bit of google baba darshan and found out that Kitkat for Z1 has a lot to be sorted and no one seems to have the confidence that Sony is geared up to resolve the issues. Amidst all this, the only option that many have gone for is a custom ROM. I would love to just switch back to Jelly bean if possible even.

Can someone guide me on opting the same for a Z1 compact and how to go about it ? Ive read a lot but seems like region based files are critical so that the phone doesn't crash. Is there any India model Specific "to do" guide ?
Looks like Sony has already released a fix for these issues. Hopefully it gets rolled out to India soon. Refer link.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:41   #17991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Looks like Sony has already released a fix for these issues. Hopefully it gets rolled out to India soon. Refer link.
Yup, Thanks. I received the update via PC software last night and upgraded too. It hasn't resolved the data connection drop issue though. The speaker problem hasnt surfaced again, but Xperiablog members have already commented that it hasn't worked for them.
Old 10th April 2014, 23:12   #17992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Applied the 11.49Mb update on my Samsung s3 and the performance has improved a little bit, specially for opening contacts. Seems to be some minor improvements in UI.

Also I recently saw Lenovo S660, seems a decent phone with 1.3 quad core 1 gb ram 4.7 inch Ips screen and 3000mah battery. This is available for 13k on flipkart.
Need some inputs here.. I need to choose between a used 1 year old well kept Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new Motorola Moto G. The Galaxy S3 is costing approx 13K while the Motorola (16GB) retails at 14K. Have checked the specs and they are more or less evenly matched, with the scales tilting towards the S3. The only cons that I can see is in the once flagship phone of Samsung is the single sim as opposed to dual sims in all other phones today, but then the Motorola offering has only 16GB storage, a non removable battery and uncertain service network.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers !
Old 11th April 2014, 01:14   #17993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Need some inputs here.. I need to choose between a used 1 year old well kept Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new Motorola Moto G. The Galaxy S3 is costing approx 13K while the Motorola (16GB) retails at 14K. Have checked the specs and they are more or less evenly matched, with the scales tilting towards the S3. The only cons that I can see is in the once flagship phone of Samsung is the single sim as opposed to dual sims in all other phones today, but then the Motorola offering has only 16GB storage, a non removable battery and uncertain service network.

Cheers !
S3 has a far better camera. Else I would say the moto. some warranty > none?!

btw u arent getting a decent deal at all. i got an opened box "unopened" phone for just under 18k. i took the battery out of the case etc. While you get none in 13k for an year old phone.

Not a great deal at all.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:22   #17994
BHPian

The moto G I got for my wife is having issues with Data connectivity dropping frequently. It looses Wifi and 3g frequently.. The connectivity gets restored on its own.I have tried most tricks in the box and contacted moto Customer care as well. But that did not help. I guess a new update is the last resort.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:52   #17995
BHPian

Thanks phamilyman and OHCVtec. Any other suggestions in the up to 15K bracket? I'm looking for a decent camera and a durable, value for money proposition.

Cheers !
Old 11th April 2014, 09:38   #17996
BANNED

Any idea as to how to set up my htc One for data passthrough. I have a 3G account and will find it handy.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:48   #17997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post

Cheers !
Hi Ironhide,

A year old S3 may not be a good idea at 13K, as they are quite delicate. A price around 10K would be more realistic, as a new one comes for around 23K now.
On the Moto G, I don't have first hand experience but Motorola has kind of been floating between brands, first Google and now Lenovo and the Moto G is the last phone from the Moto-Google time. They are actually clearing all the stocks of their phones. Future continuity of support and service may become a challenge. It is a great phone but the future is uncertain for them.

With the way that phone prices are dropping nowadays, you could actually get a much more recent phone at a 15k price. Do see the S660 phone from Lenovo I suggested - it has good specs and great battery.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 11th April 2014, 15:46   #17998
Senior - BHPian

Got an update for my Moto X a few days back. It was an India specific update as the logs mentioned network fixes for airtel and some data profiles for MTNL.

My phone didn't show the roaming 'R' earlier and that's fixed with this update. I'm on Vodafone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
On the Moto G, I don't have first hand experience but Motorola has kind of been floating between brands, first Google and now Lenovo and the Moto G is the last phone from the Moto-Google time. They are actually clearing all the stocks of their phones. Future continuity of support and service may become a challenge. It is a great phone but the future is uncertain for them.
Although I would have preferred Google keeping Moto, I don't think Lenovo is going to pull out of markets like India. They need presence in these growing markets and Moto has way more brand recall than Lenovo here. They will definitely be looking to grow their market and I read somewhere that they are already talking to retailers for the Moto G & X to be sold via retail stores.

The Moto G has been such a big success, that it will be in Lenovo's best interest to support this phone to earn some much needed goodwill and grow the brand.

The only thing that worries me is how their new phones will be. Google innovated with the Moto X and brought us something new instead of just the usual specs war and after using the X for little over a week now, I think it's a brilliant phone. Google will still hold a 6% stake in Moto after Lenovo takes over, so let's hope this innovation continues.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:50   #17999
BHPian

Hi team,
Does anyone owns or has experience with HP slate 6". Looking good especially after 5000/- off with exchange.
Thanks.
Abhay.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:50   #18000
Senior - BHPian

Lava Iris 406Q available for pre-order on Flipkart @ Rs 6999/-

http://www.flipkart.com/lava-iris-40...mdvfykhkdbeudm

1GB memory , 1.2 GHz quad core Qualcomm CPU , 1700 mAh battery. This is an excellent deal at this price point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks