Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 14:39   #18391
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Another Android? I thought it was just regular android that ran on the said budget phones.

I think its this project of bringing cheap androids to the masses that's called Android One.
Old 26th June 2014, 15:59   #18392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Another Android? I thought it was just regular android that ran on the said budget phones.

I think its this project of bringing cheap androids to the masses that's called Android One.
Yes its regular android and not stripped down version.The advantage is that we will get all google's android update at the very beginning itself.Its going to be a nightmare for big players like Samsung.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:35   #18393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
...another Android, Android One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
From what i understand, "Android One" is the name of the program. Similar to "Nexus".

The Android operating system will be the same on a $90 Android One phone and a $500 Nexus or Motorola (leaving aside manufacturer customizations).

cya
R
Old 26th June 2014, 17:30   #18394
Senior - BHPian

I watched the i/o live yesterday and from what I understand Android One will work like this;

Google will provide the reference hardware (so that chip drivers won't be a problem for updates) and stock android software. This will be good hardware that will run android well, so the experience is not compromised.

The OEM's will be allowed to load their specific content via the play store (which will mean they can be removed too)

They will get updates along with the Nexus devices & will be priced under $100

He also mentioned they are working with Indian carriers to bundle affordable data plans with these phones.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th June 2014 at 17:33.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:06   #18395
BHPian

Yep Mr. Pichai also said that they are gonna work with Micromax for their next budget phone which will run on Android One. The best part will be simultaneous Android updates on any brand of phone running the OS. This is a great idea and its being appreciated very well. Guess the Samsung bloatware is getting on people's nerves :P
Old 26th June 2014, 21:32   #18396
Senior - BHPian

Very good news (Android One). Samsung has been going out of sync with customer expectations/requirements. Kinda like Nokia earlier. In the coming year or two, I'm betting we will see a further weakening of its domination, esp. if it doesn't get its act right. And that sure will bring a smile on my face at least.

Mogo G sure has been a game changer, but its achille's heel is relatively poor cam. I so wish they had not economized on this one most important factor. Thats probably the only area where it can't compete more expensive devices... or even devices in its own range, for that matter.

Thats besides the lack of SD card and removable battery. These two limitations many may still be able to live with, given the advantages of the whole package, but cam will be the undoing for many (including me).
Old 26th June 2014, 22:51   #18397
BHPian

Need a portable battery bank for my galaxy s4. I am literally confused by the number of possible options out there on flipkart. I wouldn't believe any reviews other than my fellow bhpians. Kindly suggest a battery bank with upto 4000 mah battery capacity. Should be reliable
Old 27th June 2014, 02:18   #18398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Need a portable battery bank for my galaxy s4. I am literally confused by the number of possible options out there on flipkart. I wouldn't believe any reviews other than my fellow bhpians. Kindly suggest a battery bank with upto 4000 mah battery capacity. Should be reliable

A friend of mine uses a power bank for his Nokia 1320. I think it's called PNY or PNX, something like that. He ordered it from flipkart as well for 3k. Last time I used it was for about 20 minutes to test it out on my phone(Moto g) and it charged it from 40% to 75 %. It's 8000 mAh I believe. He's been using it for a few months now, works flawlessly.
Old 27th June 2014, 03:54   #18399
Senior - BHPian

The end of apps?

http://t.co/CjpxLtaQm4

I'v often been miffed at companies prodding you to install individual apps for everything. Then there are badly designed apps like FB (don't know if they have improved as of now) which slow down your phone and consume battery even when you ain't using them or even syncing. Apparently web apps will mitigate this.
Old 27th June 2014, 05:53   #18400
Senior - BHPian

Chinese set to invade!

Even tougher times ahead for established manufacturers. And for offline shops too - http://bit.ly/1qLHKcs

Interesting that Flipkart is going to monopolize sales of high volume handsets. Why can't they they sell thru other online sellers and offline shops too, I wonder. Reportedly, offline sellers are currently reeling under the Moto G effect.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th June 2014 at 05:55.
Old 27th June 2014, 12:12   #18401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
This is definitely due to immersive mode. No such issues on Kit Kat 4.4.4 rooted and stock
That what i initially assumed, but others on stock 4.4.3 are having similar issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The end of apps?
Not really.

The only change here is that each Chrome tab gets its own instance in the "Recents" switcher screen.

Think of it simply as using separate browser WINDOWS on a computer, rather than TABS (and then pressing Alt+Tab to switch between stuff).

Conversely, the new update also lets browser links seamlessly open up apps. Eg. clicking on an IMDB search result will open the relevant result page in the app.

It's not about making apps redundant or making the browser more powerful -- but simply about making apps and web-pages more integrated, for a seamless user experience.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2014 at 12:14.
Old 27th June 2014, 13:35   #18402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That what i initially assumed, but others on stock 4.4.3 are having similar issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
This is definitely due to immersive mode. No such issues on Kit Kat 4.4.4 rooted and stock
I have been using Nexus 4 since October 2013, I've seen this dialpad issue (always) on version 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, mine is stock.

I searched the net for this issue but it did not yield me any positive results.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 27th June 2014 at 13:35. Reason: edit
Old 27th June 2014, 14:03   #18403
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan,
Are you still facing battery drain issue with Google play services ?

See the screen shots below on my N5.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1403857916357.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1403857933579.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1403857945430.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 27th June 2014 at 14:04.
Old 27th June 2014, 17:43   #18404
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea when these "Android One" devices might hit the markets? I was planning to gift a Moto E earlier. But now think should wait to see these new devices.
Old 27th June 2014, 17:47   #18405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Any idea when these "Android One" devices might hit the markets? I was planning to gift a Moto E earlier. But now think should wait to see these new devices.
They mentioned fall or something. Expect it in the next quarter the earliest. Guessing Diwali time.

Last edited by amolbh : 27th June 2014 at 17:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks