Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 15:39   #18946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The point is that if you are going to go Android, make sure it is a Nexus 5 or something which is very close to a Nexus device software wise. I absolutely love my Nexus 5 because that is how google meant android to be, not the bloated crap which Samdung masquerades as android.
Agree, but I would rather take the MotoG instead of a Nexus 5 since my future android need will solely be backup rather than primary phone. Having said that, plain vanilla android is boring too. I quite like MIUI if it wasnt for the annoying lack of bluetooth over voip issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Anyone who says Xiaomi Mi3 is bad should look at the market response in China. It has been selling there for over an year now and still its not so easy to pick one directly. Recently I was in Shanghai and not one had a bad thing to say about it. The service centers are efficient too.
Same in Malaysia - a country (esp KL) that otherwise was iPhone loving till 2012, now everyone carries around a samsung - the only third phone after a samsung or iPhone happens to be a MI3, it is fairly common everywhere you go, whether in malls, in trains or at the airport, everywhere.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:24   #18947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It would have been Moto G only but it is going to be discontinued soon and can't wait longer for G2.
So what? It still is a good phone at 12k! Can't get a better value deal than that.

2 years ago, I picked up my Galaxy Nexus a month before Nexus 4 was launched! The launch speculation had caused the price to hit 18k mark - the best price in the 6 months preceding or following it! Never regretted it. Awesome phone at an awesome price.

So if the specs look good enough for your usage and you like to keep your phone until they die naturally - I would suggest go for it.
Old 25th August 2014, 13:17   #18948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agree, but I would rather take the MotoG instead of a Nexus 5 since my future android need will solely be backup rather than primary phone. Having said that, plain vanilla android is boring too. I quite like MIUI if it wasnt for the annoying lack of bluetooth over voip issue.
Actually thats exactly how an operating system should be. The UI flourishes becomes tiresome in a while and then all you want is the operating system to get out of your way and let you run apps. An OS to me is a facilitator and it should do its job or running myriad apps reliably and efficiently, exactly what the iOS does.
That said, I am using my Nexus 5 as a primary device and apart from missing a native voice recorder app, I do not find anything amiss. The chrome is fast and reliable, there are no lags or crashes (very seldom) and apps run and load really really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Same in Malaysia - a country (esp KL) that otherwise was iPhone loving till 2012, now everyone carries around a samsung - the only third phone after a samsung or iPhone happens to be a MI3, it is fairly common everywhere you go, whether in malls, in trains or at the airport, everywhere.
Same will be the case here given enough availability of the device in the market.
Old 25th August 2014, 14:45   #18949
Senior - BHPian

So tomorrow is the sale day for Mi3!

Any specific tips for assured and easy buying process? Registered already on 21st.
Old 25th August 2014, 16:01   #18950
BHPian

Got my MI3 last week. Moving up/lateral from the Galaxy Note 1. I quite like the MIUI interface. Clean and quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So tomorrow is the sale day for Mi3!

Any specific tips for assured and easy buying process? Registered already on 21st.
1. Get a FAST internet connection and login 30 minutes before the sale and keep an eye on the countdown

2. Hit the BUY tab as soon as the timer goes to ZERO

3. Pray

Let us know how it goes.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:05   #18951
BHPian

Guys, its not just a Hype (may be the selling part, I feel its a fair enough as they are not doing any other ads apart from this), I got it in the first try during their 3rd sale.

Following are my observations:

Pros:
===

- It runs flawless (Need to check the multitasking / multiwindow performance)
- FHD screen is pretty good.
- Camera is decent (28mm lens with f2.2 and autofocus and double flash). With the help of Mi2RAW Cam, I am able to get the image in RAW format and gets all manual options and do the post processing like in a DSLR. Need to experiment more.
- It support OTG and could connect an 80GB usb HDD after rooting, I will try my 1 , 1.5 and a 3TB HDD and post the results. I changed the ROM for rooting (developer firmware, wont affect the warranty) and on using NTFS mount apps, I am able to access NTFS formatted HDDs.
- I am able to run a FHD 1080p 8GB single movie file without any glitch from the NTFS HDD
- Good battery life
- Fast GPS lock (w/o wifi or data connection)

Cons:
====

- Not all headphones are supported. My Sony Ericsson and another IEMs were not working properly (distorted and very less o/p, seems proper impedance matching headphones are required). My NuForce IEM works perfectly, I will be pairing it with a portable amp eventhough it works fine w/o an amp. I have to check the USB DAC support also.
- Reminds me of a chocolate or milky bar. Slight difficult in holding the phone as its too slim for me, ordered leather flip cover to make it bulky
- Noticed slight heating at the back cover with GPS and WiFi after 15mins of usage.
- Need to wait for a youtube video to open the back cover (kinda fused design). Also in the process of making a DIY portable power bank.

Following are some of the screenshots of the custom interface using Zooper widget - themer (multitab home screen, I hate the IOS kinda interface, will be modded to a better interface w/o any icons):

Name:  Screenshot_20140818105144.png
Views: 596
Size:  217.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20140818104947.png
Views: 604
Size:  201.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20140818104956.png
Views: 650
Size:  221.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20140818105510.png
Views: 615
Size:  204.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20140818105523.png
Views: 631
Size:  212.1 KB

Mi3 Battery backup : A screenshot of the battery backup after ~45hrs of very moderate use, but with wifi on most of the times:

Name:  Screenshot_20140820120436.png
Views: 609
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20140820121907.png
Views: 595
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 25th August 2014 at 17:08.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:34   #18952
Senior - BHPian

Xiaomi is planning to launch Redmi 1S tomorrow. Price expected to be 6999/-May be available on FK in the last week of August or 1st week of September.

Killer features:
1.6 Quadcore Snapdragon processor, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear autofocus camera and 1.5 MP front camera, 8GB inbuilt storage expandable with Micro SD, Gorilla glass 2, 4.7 inch screen.
Has better features compared to Moto G at the price of Moto E. This will be another sell out within seconds of listing.
Old 25th August 2014, 20:27   #18953
Distinguished - BHPian

Zenfone 4 A450CG is also available for Pre-Order on Flipkart. 4.5 inch screen, 1 GB RAM, 1.2GhZ Intel processor. Rs 6999.
Old 25th August 2014, 22:52   #18954
Senior - BHPian

What about the news that MI3 sends information to Chinese Servers? Was it True or just Rumour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want to gift a Phone to my Better Half on her Birthday 16th next month.
The requirements- (In no particular order)
1) 4" Screen
2) Support Hike and WA.
3) Good Internal Memory available for User
3) Expandable Memory (Must Allow Moving of Apps to SD Card)
4) Good Camera
5) Good Battery Backup
6) Good Reliability and Build Quality
7) Budget 7-8K
8) No Samsungs, Sonys, etc (No offense towards respective users). i.e. No Bloatwares please.
9) RAM- 1GB RAM.

Is ASUS Zenfone 4 A400CG a good phone considering all above points?
EDIT: - Screen Size could be 4-4.5"
Please help me decide at the earliest.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 25th August 2014 at 23:01.
Old 26th August 2014, 02:45   #18955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Just in case there's someone who likes a stock phone and doesn't prefer the myriad of cases available that invariably add bulk, here's something simple but very effective to keep that backplate scratch-less. Works with all phones/surfaces.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/MOBILE-FEET-S...db8e7e8&_uhb=1

My 1+ year old phone with the product installed.

Attachment 1276896
Very interesting product. But I'm concerned about the glue used. Any comments on that? Are the feet easily removable if required, without damaging the paint/surface of the back plate?
Old 26th August 2014, 08:35   #18956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

EDIT: - Screen Size could be 4-4.5"
Please help me decide at the earliest.
Best specification for the price would be the to be launched today Xiaomi Redmi 1S. But since the MI3 does not come with expandable memory, I assume this would also not have it.

No Bloatware phone + decent specification + expandable memory would be the Moto E.

Third option will be the Zenfone A450CG (open for pre-order on FK). Battery life under heavy use is an open. But should serve your purpose well.

These are pretty much the phones in the 6-8K range today with excellent specifications for the price.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:43   #18957
BHPian

Guys, Need your expertise in offline maps with navigation.

GPS on MI3 locks within a few seconds. And I don't have a data plan on my mobile.

Can you kindly guide me as to which maps are good for navigation.

Have noticed Sygic, and Mapmyindia apps on playstore, but confused a bit.

Any help on the same will be highly appreciated.

PS : On another note, MI3 Users, if you want to test your hardward functionality type *#*#6484#*#* and you will enter a set of menu options to test.

In here, have tested for GPS in house and out house, GPS satellites show up within 5 secs with 22 satellites visible.

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 26th August 2014 at 09:44.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:48   #18958
Senior - BHPian

If I were to replace my Samsung Note 2 (Jan 2013), I would be confused in the current scenario.

LG G3 and HTC M8 are brilliant phones but they are not extraordinarily different than the Note 2 as a package (Note 2 has a stylus which the other two don't). Note 4 is to be released on 3rd September, but IMHO, Samsung's growth and innovation curve has got almost flattened. Most of the Note 4's software enhancement can surely be ported to Note 2. The only major differences could be the anticipated 2K/4K screen and video recording, better front and rear camera and water proof body.

I think I will have to go back my dear iPhone, iPhone 6 that is. iPhone 6 is expected to be launched on 9th September, but it would cost a bomb initially. But if its really better than current iPhone 5S, then I would have to stretch a bit.

Old 26th August 2014, 09:52   #18959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys, Need your expertise in offline maps with navigation.

GPS on MI3 locks within a few seconds. And I don't have a data plan on my mobile.

Can you kindly guide me as to which maps are good for navigation.

Have noticed Sygic, and Mapmyindia apps on playstore, but confused a bit.

Any help on the same will be highly appreciated.

PS : On another note, MI3 Users, if you want to test your hardward functionality type *#*#6484#*#* and you will enter a set of menu options to test.

In here, have tested for GPS in house and out house, GPS satellites show up within 5 secs with 22 satellites visible.
I have used 2 offline navigation apps so far - Sygic and OSMAnd. Both allow you to download the maps data over wifi and use navigation offline. If you don't have a data plan these will be your best bet. Sygic now uses tomtom maps I guess, earlier they used to provide MapMyIndia maps.

OSMAnd is a community driven effort much like waze. Though it has major roads etc, it can be painful in smaller towns or by lanes. It once navigated me through an extremely crowded part of Kanpur while there was a better wider alternative available.

For cities, I have felt gmaps is the best one to use.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:58   #18960
BHPian

Google maps , it wont consume a lot to transfer vector data, your normal plan would be enough. Once the route is calculated you wont even need the data connection to navigate unless there is is a re-routing. You can also use the offline map in google maps using wifi.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 26th August 2014 at 10:00.

Most Viewed